CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First and foremost, I want to sincerely apologize for the long post and if I'm breaking any rules here. I've spent about a month reading through many posts on this forum and it's all becoming a blur, so maybe you can help.

In 2010 I went with a 27" i7 2.8 iMac because it was quiet compared to a Mac Pro at the time, but as plugin requirements grew I began to push it to its limits and fans were running all the time until about 2 weeks ago when my graphics card said "no more."

I've built many computers over the last 18 years and have done a fair share of data recovery using Linux, so I like to tinker, which brings me to your fantastic forum. I want to build a Hackintosh. I'm also building a FreeNAS server, but that's another forum ;)

My must have requirements are (in this order):

1. Great Single Core performance - I regularly use 50+ virtual instruments which are all very demanding on the CPU in real-time. As a sidenote at the recommendation of a friend I looked into Ryzen, but it appears that while it's a capable processor, it's not quite up to the task as much as intel is when it comes to being able to handle real-time tasks. A helpful video along these lines would be:

2. Silent - I want this thing quiet. I don't care if it's liquid cooling or fans, I want it as close to an iMac as possible (except when the iMac is under load).

3. Cool - I want those fans quiet and keeping it cool is key.

4. Connectivity.

Firewire - I have an existing Apogee Duet Firewire audio interface that I love because of its onboard converters. I don't want to let it go.

Thunderbolt 3 - it would be stupid to build a Hackintosh for audio production and not include this.

10Gbps NIC - the key seems to be finding one that would work on a Hackintosh. I need this because I will have nightly backups of my projects and photos offloaded to a FreeNAS box, and the backups cannot take longer than overnight (if that).

5. Dual 4K monitors - I don't do any video production, so you may ask why I need a GPU card. Because I want to take the load off of the CPU and let it focus on my Logic Pro X and Audio needs. But I hear these things can contribute to noise, so I prefer a fanless GPU card or powerful enough that fans don't kick up.

6. Storage - I did already buy a 500gb 960 EVO for my OS and programs so an M.2 Sata slot would be nice. I am also considering buying a bunch of cheap(er) SSD's and putting them in a RAID-5 to store my samples and projects on. RAID5 isn't exactly my cup of tea, but for SSD it should be fine. Several years ago I tested 3 SSD's in a RAID5 (soft raid) and got speeds around 1 GB/s. So if I have a project with 60+ orchestra samples and modeling synths loading up, I want it to be up on my screen pronto.

I know there's someone here who's considered a resident DAW expert, but with my SSD RAID5 attempt, my Firewire/TB3 need and my 10Gbps NIC requirement, that may be more than he's had to deal with. Any help would be very greatly appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back