Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Forcing RGB mode for problematic displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that related to the driver of RX 580? Those don’t happen at all on Windows.

Yes, it tells macOS which driver to use.

Yes, it tells macOS which driver to use.
Still thanks for trying to help. I should wait for a genius, an update from Apple, or a new graphics card in the future.

@pastrychef I think I have found the reason why macOS cannot detect the HDMI signal after booting. ResXtreme shows that all Retina options are duplicated, only for HDMI.

If I double-click on the other but same option, the image will remain the same but I will not need to replug the HDMI cable anymore. If I choose the original option back later, the signal will immediately stop.

Last edited:
@pastrychef I think I have found the reason why macOS cannot detect the HDMI signal after booting. ResXtreme shows that all options are duplicated, only for HDMI.

View attachment 416408

If I double-click on the other but same option, the image will remain the same but I will not need to replug the HDMI cable anymore. If I choose the original option back later, the signal will immediately stop.

Does it stick after reboots?

@pastrychef I think I said it too early. I noticed that texts become a bit blurry with that option. Maybe the only steps I can do are toggling to the blurry option before restarting/turning off, and toggling back after restarting/turning on.

@pastrychef I think I said it too early. I noticed that texts become a bit blurry with that option. Maybe the only steps I can do are toggling to the blurry option before restarting/turning off, and toggling back after restarting/turning on.

Did you try disabling font smoothing?
Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 3.27.27 PM.png

@pastrychef I am glad to say that I resolved the DisplayPort colour banding issue and confirmed the results by observing the interface in Dark Mode carefully, including sidebars and Launchpad. After multiple restarts, colour banding still no longer happens.

The steps are incredibly simple without any technical skill.
  • Open Hackintool
  • Switch to the Tools tab and press Disable Gatekeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode (for macOS Catalina and later only)
  • Switch to the Display tab and just export without changing anything
  • As Hackintool has generated 3 files and 1 folder to Desktop, just drag the folder DisplayVendorID-xxxx to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides
  • Restart
If the results remain fine after one week, I will mark this topic as Solved.

Update: Please try the solution on #48 first as the solution described in this post is not that safe and no longer works for macOS 11 Big Sur.

Last edited:
@pastrychef I am glad to say that I resolved the DisplayPort colour banding issue and confirmed the results by observing the interface in Dark Mode carefully, including sidebars and Launchpad. After multiple restarts, colour banding still no longer happens.

The steps are incredibly simple without any technical skill.
  • Open Hackintool
  • (If it is on macOS Catalina or later, switch to the Tools tab and press Disable Gatekeeper and mount the disk in read/write mode)
  • Switch to the Display tab and just export without changing anything
  • As Hackintool has generated 3 files and 1 folder to Desktop, just drag the folder DisplayVendorID-xxxx to /System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides
  • Restart
If the results remain fine after one week, I will mark this topic as Solved.

Wow! Awesome work! Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back