Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI
CPU
i7-6850K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Hey friends,

I have found that only a handful of people have this issue (or maybe many people have the issue and simply don't notice it). I have also never found a proper solution. So I'm wondering if you guys are running into the same problem. (And if so, if anyone has figured out a solution).

Here's the problem: I'm using the GTX 1080 with the most current Webdriver, and in Google Chrome, videos are shown with the incorrect gamma. Shadows appear brighter than they should. This happens with all the video sites that I've tested (YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, my Plex media server).

I ONLY have this issue in Google Chrome. I don't have the problem in Safari. (But I need to use Chrome for my work, because Safari doesn't display 4K FB videos, nor does it display 4K60 or 8K YouTube videos). So in short, I'm stuck with this issue, and it's impeding my work.

Here are some examples. Left image is Safari, right image is Chrome. You'll notice that the problem is more noticeable with darker videos (such as the Blade Runner 2049 trailer). But it's still visible (and annoying) with brighter videos.

AoY69rR.jpg

0fee614fe3.png

tn2p7Bu.jpg

Pq7p4Wa.jpg

TNnDMDv.png

It also may be important to note that I ONLY have this problem with videos in Google Chrome. Still images and text all seem to be fine. I also do not have this issue on my MacBook Pro or in Windows 10. Only on my desktop in macOS Sierra.

Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome fixes the issue; however, I need hardware acceleration to view 4K and 8K videos, so that's not a proper solution.

Anyone else having this issue?

Anyone have a fix?

Thanks so much for your help!

I have same issue. I have noticed its only Chrome and browsers which use its engine have the gamma problem as Opera also uses Chrome code in its base, it too has the same problem. If you really want 4k videos, try shifting to Firefox, it displays videos similar to Safari. But I have tough time shifting to Firefox, as in YouTube when opening multiple tabs, all videos play instantly unlike chrome & safari where only the active tab plays the video, if you fine with that problem, i think Firefox should be sufficient for you, as most of the extensions too are available for it. Also it could be that web drivers are still in BETA, so i am waiting for new revision to test chrome again. Right now with current drivers, my DisplayPort shows weird patterns at gradients and CPU usage is still high on videos over sites like YouTube, so its certain that hardware acceleration is not fully happening currently in Web drivers.

Any progress on this? I have had this problem for the past couple weeks as well and it is very frustrating. I feel like an update to Chrome caused the issue, because I had the problem on 10.12.3 after months of being on the same Web Drivers, but I can't figure out how to roll Chrome back to an earlier build (there is this site but I have no idea how sketchy it is). I updated to 10.12.5 to see if there might be a fix but I am still seeing the gamma shift.

Just following up that I tried manually disabling as many of the various settings that pertained to video as I could find in chrome://flags but none of them made a difference. For the time being I just turned hardware acceleration off in Chrome.

When I was researching this problem last week I found that the nVidia driver in Windows has a setting to change the dynamic range for videos, but I cannot figure any way to do this on the Mac.

Last edited:
Hello! I've experienced the same issue.
I turned off hardware acceleration in chrome settings and also disabled
"Accelerated 2D canvas Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android" in chrome://flags

and it seems that it helps. at least the difference between safari and chrome is smaller now.
Screenshot attached

upload_2017-10-9_8-32-53.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back