Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
  5. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I noticed the hardware calibrated ColorSync profiles for the AUO v4 1080p display upgrade included in the Probook Installer v5/6 looked great for some people, and gave weird colors for others. It's true that every LCD panel will have a unique color response, but all the panels made during a certain production run seem like they should be VERY similar in their color response, while more significant variation is introduced when two displays were made in two different production runs. The factory retooled to build some other display in between, so it makes since they wouldn't be quite the same. This is justs a wild guess on my part, but based on anecdotes from this site.

After reading a number of posts, it seems that a lot of the users who upgraded their Probook with a AU Optronics B156HW01 v4 found their new screens fit into similar color response 'groups' (factory runs?). Their LCDs were either the same as the user who generously shared his hardware calibration profile of his own AUO V4 display, or users who found the profile gave a blue/green tint, or a yellow tint. I fit into the blue/green category, and have created my own hardware calibrated profiles (using a Spyder3 Pro, not top of the line but still quite good) in the hopes that maybe my display is very similar to the 'blue/green' group. Or every display could be different and these won't help anyone, but I figured it's worth a shot.

I have attached two, one calibrated with a 2.2 gamma (usually the default) and a 2.4 gamma (my personal preference, sacrifices a bit of contrast in shadow/brightness variation for more contrast/richer colors). IYou can find 'gamma war' threads hundreds of post long, but honestly, gamma is personal taste and please use the one that looks best to you =). There isn't really a 'best' or 'most accurate' gamma.

To use them, copy the .icc files to ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and switch them in the color tab of your display settings.

Attachments

• alternate_profiles.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,939
I noticed the hardware calibrated ColorSync profiles for the AUO v4 1080p display upgrade included in the Probook Installer v5/6 looked great for some people, and gave weird colors for others. It's true that every LCD panel will have a unique color response, but all the panels made during a certain production run seem like they should be VERY similar in their color response, while more significant variation is introduced when two displays were made in two different production runs. The factory retooled to build some other display in between, so it makes since they wouldn't be quite the same. This is justs a wild guess on my part, but based on anecdotes from this site.

After reading a number of posts, it seems that a lot of the users who upgraded their Probook with a AU Optronics B156HW01 v4 found their new screens fit into similar color response 'groups' (factory runs?). Their LCDs were either the same as the user who generously shared his hardware calibration profile of his own AUO V4 display, or users who found the profile gave a blue/green tint, or a yellow tint. I fit into the blue/green category, and have created my own hardware calibrated profiles (using a Spyder3 Pro, not top of the line but still quite good) in the hopes that maybe my display is very similar to the 'blue/green' group. Or every display could be different and these won't help anyone, but I figured it's worth a shot.

I have attached two, one calibrated with a 2.2 gamma (usually the default) and a 2.4 gamma (my personal preference, sacrifices a bit of contrast in shadow/brightness variation for more contrast/richer colors). IYou can find 'gamma war' threads hundreds of post long, but honestly, gamma is personal taste and please use the one that looks best to you =). There isn't really a 'best' or 'most accurate' gamma.

To use them, copy the .icc files to ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles and switch them in the color tab of your display settings.

Thanks for these. For me, the other profile was green/blue with my AUO v4 1080p, but this one looks good.

WOW.. the great Rehabman finally gets his screen upgraded. i cant believe i beat you to it. Congrats! :headbang: I really hope you enjoy it. i got mine a couple of weeks ago too as you probably already know. A little bad luck though, mine came with 2 dead pixels and i had to send it back to get another. Did you get any dead pixels on yours? Also, on another subject, we are still eagerly waiting for the trackpad multitouch fix for you to release real soon hopefully

WOW.. the great Rehabman finally gets his screen upgraded. i cant believe i beat you to it. Congrats! :headbang: I really hope you enjoy it. i got mine a couple of weeks ago too as you probably already know. A little bad luck though, mine came with 2 dead pixels and i had to send it back to get another. Did you get any dead pixels on yours? Also, on another subject, we are still eagerly waiting for the trackpad multitouch fix for you to release real soon hopefully

No stuck/dead pixels on mine, so I guess I got lucky that way.

Thanks for these. For me, the other profile was green/blue with my AUO v4 1080p, but this one looks good.

the other Profile you got and one that in in Installer is from me, but I don't know why the profile is in the installer at all, its no good. I could not get a good colors with Spyder4 Pro and AUO v4.

the other Profile you got and one that in in Installer is from me, but I don't know why the profile is in the installer at all, its no good. I could not get a good colors with Spyder4 Pro and AUO v4.

I added this thread to the 'After' sticky. But maybe this color profile can make its way into the installer.

Oh hey, thanks for doing that originally! Sorry the Spyder4 didn't seem to be working on your AUO V4. I'm pretty surprised, at least on paper, the Spyder4 blows the 3 out of the water (36% better color accuracy), and my 3 made my display look A LOT better. I almost wonder if there was some sort of software problem, or perhaps something to do with EDID? I know Datacolor's software DOES make use of the EDID to some degree (it correctly identified the AUOV4 as a Thinkpad display despite it being in my probook running OS X) and the EDID generation is a pretty recent development here in probook hackintosh land..

Note, I am not sure if it actually helped my color accuracy or not, all I know is I think the colors look a lot nicer to me now, so it 'worked' in a totally subjective way for me. I don't know enough about publishing/print shop stuff to actually check. YMMV.

Anyway, thanks regardless. I never even thought to calibrate a laptop display until that thread, really.

Also, glad the profile looked good on your display rehabman. And please feel free to include (or not include, I won't mind either way) one or both of them in the installer. My only goal was that one other person might find them useful, so I'm glad it looks good for you!

Hmm, I just changed my screen (AUO B156HW01 v4) and the profiles are present in the ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles directory, but they do not appear in the display settings menu (the hide non-matching profiles option is not checked). What am I doing wrong?

Hmm, I just changed my screen (AUO B156HW01 v4) and the profiles are present in the ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles directory, but they do not appear in the display settings menu (the hide non-matching profiles option is not checked). What am I doing wrong?

I always put mine in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. Given that ~/Library/ColorSync directory doesn't exist by default, gives me reason to doubt the system is going to look there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back