UHD 630 / GTX 2070 Max-Q
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 20th Anniv. Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have a Thinkpad X1 Extreme whichI configured it pretty well and it is up and working.
Configuration: https://github.com/Errrneist/Hackintosh-Thinkpad-X1-Extreme

It seems like not many people talked about the Thunderbolt 3 compatibility for these laptops, but I wonder if this is possible.
We now know that the HDMI2.0 port on this laptop is hard wired to the not working GTX 1050ti DGPU, so the only hope for connecting the laptop to an external monitor or external GPU is try to make the Thunderbolt 3 port working.

It has been tested that the USB3.1 on Thunderbolt 3 port is working, I connected a USB type C to USB type A dongle onto the laptop and both ports work flawlessly without any issue. I tried to use the mini displayport inside the TB3/USB3.1 connector and it does not output signal. Obviously, Thunderbolt 3 is not working since under System Report it displays:

Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

I also tried this guide using SSDT V3 but it doesn't work: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/

So I am really stuck since I really want to connect my hackintosh laptop to an external GPU (or an external monitor at least). I have both USB-C to DP and an AORUS GTX1080 eGPU ready and I just need some advices on what to do next... Anyone have an idea on how to get it to work?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a Thinkpad X1 Extreme whichI configured it pretty well and it is up and working.
Configuration: https://github.com/Errrneist/Hackintosh-Thinkpad-X1-Extreme

It seems like not many people talked about the Thunderbolt 3 compatibility for these laptops, but I wonder if this is possible.
We now know that the HDMI2.0 port on this laptop is hard wired to the not working GTX 1050ti DGPU, so the only hope for connecting the laptop to an external monitor or external GPU is try to make the Thunderbolt 3 port working.

It has been tested that the USB3.1 on Thunderbolt 3 port is working, I connected a USB type C to USB type A dongle onto the laptop and both ports work flawlessly without any issue. I tried to use the mini displayport inside the TB3/USB3.1 connector and it does not output signal. Obviously, Thunderbolt 3 is not working since under System Report it displays:

Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

So I am really stuck since I really want to connect my hackintosh laptop to an external GPU (or an external monitor at least). I have both USB-C to DP and an AORUS GTX1080 eGPU ready and I just need some advices on what to do next... Anyone have an idea on how to get it to work?

Thanks!

Before investigating any further, you should confirm which ports are connected to which graphics devices in Windows.

Before investigating any further, you should confirm which ports are connected to which graphics devices in Windows.
Hi,
Which software should I use? I used AIDA64 and it does not give me enough information on this topic.

Hi,
Which software should I use? I used AIDA64 and it does not give me enough information on this topic.

If you look at a monitor's properties, Windows indicates which graphics device it is connected to.

For the monitor via type-c display port, it follows that the "Physical Device Object Name"(Assume this is what we want) is '\Device\000000a4'

For the internal monitor, it follows that the "Physical Device Object Name" is '\Device\00000090'

Which I then checked the Display Device settings and no Details in both UHD630 and 1050ti has 000000a4 or 00000090.
Am I looking at the right thing?

For the monitor via type-c display port, it follows that the "Physical Device Object Name"(Assume this is what we want) is '\Device\000000a4'

For the internal monitor, it follows that the "Physical Device Object Name" is '\Device\00000090'

Which I then checked the Display Device settings and no Details in both UHD630 and 1050ti has 000000a4 or 00000090.
Am I looking at the right thing?

Look at properties for the monitor. Simple matter of right click -> Properties on the desktop wallpaper on each monitor.

One with dGPU and one with eGPU.

So, it shows HDMI is direct connect to Nvidia.
You will need to get the Nvidia device working in macOS to use it.
No Nvidia drivers for macOS Mojave ATM.

So, it shows HDMI is direct connect to Nvidia.
You will need to get the Nvidia device working in macOS to use it.
No Nvidia drivers for macOS Mojave ATM.

That's right, but for laptop coffeelake Thunderbolt 3 does not load a driver(Thunderbolt 3: No driver loaded.). The controller is Thunderbolt 3 (15EB) which according to this: https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/15eb it is a Titan Ridge TB3 Controller. eGPU works well on Windows, I wonder if there is any way we can load a driver for macOS?

That's right, but for laptop coffeelake Thunderbolt 3 does not load a driver(Thunderbolt 3: No driver loaded.).

Nothing to do with HDMI or USB type-C video output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back