Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking to build a new system and Thunderbolt compatibility is my first priority.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display and Apollo audio interface that I need to use.

My parts list is as follows:

I7-8700 (factory cooler, lower power, less heat, and I'm not interested in overclocking)
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac (onboard thunderbolt)
Patriot Signature Line 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (best price)
Apple Mackbook Air WiFi/Bluetooth card in a NGFF M.2 adapter (replace the ASRock onboard WiFi)
Patriot 256G SSD (already have lying around)

I will use the onboard UHD630 graphics as I understand is necessary for video with onboard Thunderbolt.

What do you think my chances of success will be?

Does anyone see any problems?

I'm looking to build a new system and Thunderbolt compatibility is my first priority.

I have an Apple Thunderbolt Display and Apollo audio interface that I need to use.

My parts list is as follows:

I7-8700 (factory cooler, lower power, less heat, and I'm not interested in overclocking)
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac (onboard thunderbolt)
Patriot Signature Line 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (best price)
Apple Mackbook Air WiFi/Bluetooth card in a NGFF M.2 adapter (replace the ASRock onboard WiFi)
Patriot 256G SSD (already have lying around)

I will use the onboard UHD630 graphics as I understand is necessary for video with onboard Thunderbolt.

What do you think my chances of success will be?

Does anyone see any problems?

That's pretty close to the build I'm going to try. Although I'm going to use the broadcom chip.

erik has a similar build that I'm using as a starting point.

From my searching I don't think you'll be able to set it up with your TB display. You may need to install windows to activate it. I think you needed to do that for the Z270. Check Pineapple68

Macbook also has a similar build but he says it sometimes freezes and crashes (which would be tough to use as a prod machine).

How are you going to use your machine?

Thanks

That's pretty close to the build I'm going to try. Although I'm going to use the broadcom chip.

erik has a similar build that I'm using as a starting point.

From my searching I don't think you'll be able to set it up with your TB display. You may need to install windows to activate it. I think you needed to do that for the Z270. Check Pineapple68

Macbook also has a similar build but he says it sometimes freezes and crashes (which would be tough to use as a prod machine).

How are you going to use your machine?

Thanks

I'll be using it for Audio Production.

Thanks for the info, that was a good read. It reinforces my hesitation though. Thunderbolt on Hackintosh seems to be the hardest to get working. Unfortunately it is a "must have" for me.

Just when I'm ready to pull the trigger on the hardware purchase, I read something else that makes me pause...

I'll be using it for Audio Production.

Thanks for the info, that was a good read. It reinforces my hesitation though. Thunderbolt on Hackintosh seems to be the hardest to get working. Unfortunately it is a "must have" for me.

Just when I'm ready to pull the trigger on the hardware purchase, I read something else that makes me pause...
I think it's the ITX board that's tough. There's quite a few good options with ATX and mATX. The display uses TB2. There's a couple of tough to find add on cards that could work well.

?

So if you want to use a proper graphics card, but use thunderbolt, there is 1 single option you have:

A motherboard that can take this card: https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboard-Accessory/ThunderboltEX-3/
eg. a compatible Asus mobo.

What this will allow you to do, is take the mini display port out off your video card, and feed it into the thunderbolt 3 card, and thereafter behave as an apple would. I have the same configuration and I am using an apple thunderbolt display very successfully (including speakers and microphone)

The thunderbolt card is read by any OSX system as a native apple thunderbolt card, and works out of the box, no messing around. Hope this helps.

Okay im on the same boat, i want to build a hackintosh with the coffee lake cpu, and absolutely need thunderbolt for my apollo twin, my display will just be a regular hdmi output. Which mobo do i need to get? and do i need an external thunderbolt card too? thanks!

Add another to the list. I have ditched the idea of thunderbolt for my LG 5k displays as it seems to be just a hassle. I’m just going to sell the monitors and get something more turnkey. But I need thunderbolt for my Apollo interface.

I am going with a gigabyte mobo and assuming I need the alpine gc add on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back