Contribute
Register

Coffee Lake i7-8700K Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have the money go for a real mac. there are plenty of apple computers available that would suit your needs..
I am not a pro, so no worries there. I am wondering how much a real Mac ready to run Final Cut X (FCX) would cost compared with 2 CustoMac budget ATX or mATXs?
When one fails, the other is ready?? Seems like pros should have at least one backup computer (band members with their families in some cases, waiting around the studio to record ...) .Money is an issue for me, meaning I am focused on bang for buck.

On the other hand, I am wondering how stable hachintoshs are. Do they sputter and become a blue screen every once in while?

I might not have the money for a computer for months. I am hoping i9 will come down in price. Now that I am using FCX, would one processor 10 cores 20 threads come in handy, or should I just build whatever CustoMac Pro is up at the time. If I were to build a CustoMac now, would a budget ATX 16 GB RAM and compatible AMD cards for Final Cut X be enough to run FCX?

I would research this to possibly make some changes, I am talking in general. I am trying to get a starting point, and hope I don't start gaming :)

Official Apple Hardware with Intel 8xxx cpu and Z370 chipset isn't supposed to show up before spring 2018.
So official support in macOS is not available since then.
But as the Z370 is pretty similar to Z270, and 8xxx is a Kaby Lake Refresh with 6 cores, in theory this combination should be compatible as 7xxx cpus where in 10.12.5 with an own SSDT and some kext patching.
But you never know for sure, as long as someone gives it a try.

completely agree with you Macboy123. It will most probably work BUT, I agree that if anyone needs a good "stable" enough hackintosh, why take the chance.

I would recommend anyone wanting to build one right now, to get an i7-7700k + z270 motherboard on the used market (beware of shady sellers).. this will ensure them a stable hackintosh on High Sierra for years to come!

And then there are guys like me.. I own an old i7-950 + ga-x58a-ud3r (rev.2) working as a charm! I was looking to upgrade to i7-7700k and Z270 now, but as I saw the coffee lake + z370 right around the corner.. I will keep an eye here on tonymacx86, and when I see someone actually running it and seems stable and all working, THEN I'll get it!

Ryzen was considered.. over i7-7700k too, but will see what the 8700k do first.

and to nobhobbor, you are talking about music production.. but then referring to Final Cut X?... I believe you meant Logic Pro X ? ;) Multithreading is supported.. and will serve you well!.. remember, you are opening many virtual instruments, and/or recording audio while, listening to several recordings/tracks at the same time, with their effects on it.. so the more cores and threads you've got, the better for a music production machine too.

CPU power and multithreading do affect on your latency as well.. depending on what DAW you use, the coding of that specific daw may be more or less prepared to handle different situations (vst's vs audio vs fx, vs a lot of internally going stuff).. It all depends on how many tracks you endup running at once. (thats why many film composers, who uses hundreds of tracks, require even more computers linked together to front such demand), but if you're going to make EDM, in logic or FL, even my i7-950 with 12gb ddr3 ram will do the job without big problem.

the audio interface does also play a roll on it!.. I recommend you a Focusrite Scarlett 2gen. (whatever model that fits your needs)

:)

and to nobhobbor, you are talking about music production.. but then referring to Final Cut X?... I believe you meant Logic Pro X ?

thank you so much for responding, i am here to learn. music production is my primary task, but marketing would be enhanced with videos of the recording process interspersed with dancers. assuming video editing requires more computing power than music production, i realized i might need to shift my computer building focus to support the more difficult and demanding Final Cut X. this is an assumption, please correct me if it is wrong.

my favorite music production software is Logic Pro X, but as a dedicated music production enthusiast, i will have ProTools 10HD, Ableton Live 9, Main Stage 3, Studio One, Reaper.

i haven't really thought about Propellerhead Reason, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar or FL Studio ... what else? I don't know if they run in OS X, or if i need to build a dual boot. if so, i'll need to acquire Windows 10 or Redstone 2.

Protools and LPX will probably use the second most resources behind video editing and rendering which i assume can be VERY demanding ... i guess when filters are used in rendering?? I am staring to get interested in EDM. as a matter of taste, there is good and bad music in all genres and good and bad can be a matter of taste, of corse.

thanks for tip about cores and threads. i am not in a big hurry to get my Customac up and running, so i'll see if the price of i9-7900X and Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9 and the cooling, currently at $3000, as i recall, comes down and if apple supports it.

i would like to understand how to store my effects plugins in a satellite, more confusing to me is running the Digital Signal Processing (DPS) in the satellite from the host. Antelope Audio, Universal Audio and Waves Audio sell ThunderBolt 3 DSP satellites, stand alone PCIe cards and i assume PCIe cards that connect satellite and host via sub D, all to off load DPS computing from the host. similar to Apple, they sell them to make a profit, if you know what i mean and not as a service.

since pete1959 has gotten i9 to work, what i am not sure of is; what is the significants of Apple using or support i9-9700X?

i want to assemble a computer for music production, which must be less CPU intensive than video and 3D rendering. music rendering has not been an issue, but latency while recording tracks has, but that is probably because i starting recording onto my start up drive which has the music program on it. people use host and satellite computers for producing music in order to spread the CPU load which seems to indicate a lack of computing power which this might address. ill post the examples of host/satellite here too:

https://www.waves.com/hardware/soundgrid-server-one
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD2SUOUlt5
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370180

Just letting you know, I have and use a Hackintosh for music production only. It's a 7700k and it is already miraculous..
I can easily do a 150-200 channel track and CPU doesn't go higher than 30%, and that's with 40-50 midi channels on.. Out of this world, and nothing a macbook can support!

Due to the higher thread/core count on the 8700k, it will be even better!

I saw two cases successful hackintoshes with Coffee Lake 8400 (i5) (spoofing to Kaby Lake) and a z370 motherboard. Don't know if we can post other forums' links here, but, IT'S WORKING !!

Can you provide a link or documentation that Coffee Lake works on some Z270 motherboards? This is the first I have heard of this. Everything else I read enphatically sates Coffee will not work on Z270 boards.

It is not working on Z270 boards as Intel made changes to PIN Connectors and power design. Thats why new Socket is called 1151v2. Z370 Chipset itself is pretty much the same as Z270, so good chance to get a working board with sound lan etc. But for CPU you probably need FakeID, SSDT. We'll see, everyone is looking forward to see the first working builds and their scores!

Can you provide a link or documentation that Coffee Lake works on some Z270 motherboards? This is the first I have heard of this. Everything else I read emphatically states Coffee will not work on Z270 boards.

Hi, hst51,
That message was from before Coffee Lake was officially launched. The info came from different youtube tech channels. They reported that Intel was testing Coffee Lake on existing Z270 chipsets, and that it worked with many boards (however, obviously needing BIOS update). But, some failed, because they couldn't deliver enough power to the CPU. That's probably the reason why Intel rushed the Z370 chipset (which is baically z270 with a new power delivery system) and will launch Z390 in the second half of 2018 - which will then support all new features and probably future processors, where - as of now - nobody knows if Z370 will ever support anything but Coffee Lake.
It is a mess, and Intel doesn't speak out on that issue at all.. which is not a good sign.

That's why Ii am uncertain there will ever be a real Mac using Z370. They will most likely make the jump to 390. Not good news for consumers in general - certainly not great for hackintoshes..

Last edited by a moderator:
The i7-8700K and ASrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac will likely be my next build. My primary use is for Pro Tools with a Thunderbolt UAD interface and I want multiple cores to run Native Plugins. This combo fits the bill nicely.

The Coffee Lake CPU's are pretty much sold out everywhere so I'm going to wait till the supplies are better and hopefully there will be some other builds based on this combo show up. If not, I'm willing to blaze a new path because there have already been successful Coffe Lake builds with other motherboards. There have also been successful builds based on the ASrock Fatal1ty Z270 so I'm sure this one will work as well.

For 6 cores or more with Thunderbolt the choices have been pretty slim till now...

Hy Guys,

Is there anybody else who sitting and wait for his new z370 + i7 8th gen system? I am in it. Hopefully 1-2weeks (or sooner) I will get it. After that I can explain what I get about compatibility.

Br

Petko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back