Contribute
Register

Coffee Lake - i7 8700K + ASUS PRIME Z370-A attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys...i cant get de bootload screen to appear...after i choose EFI boot from usb stick i get a black screen.
Tried the dual channel trick and nothing changed...does anyone knows what is happening?
Asus prime z370 A...32gb...Msi 1080ti

Do you have the 1080Ti already put into your rig? You need to install OSX without Nvidia cards first using onboard graphics and set up Nvidia cards after successfully installing OSX.

Do you use verbose mode during booting? Those messages are mandatory for troubleshooting. Set -v as a permanent bootflag. A black screen isn't helpful unless it's a general problem with the GPU, as I mentioned above.

Do you have the 1080Ti already put into your rig? You need to install OSX without Nvidia cards first using onboard graphics and set up Nvidia cards after successfully installing OSX.

Do you use verbose mode during booting? Those messages are mandatory for troubleshooting. Set -v as a permanent bootflag. A black screen isn't helpful unless it's a general problem with the GPU, as I mentioned above.

Hey there.

Do i need to take the gpu out or just unplug the power?

After that i tried millions of configurations and EFIs and never passed the booloader...i uploaded two screenshots as well.
Right now I'm stuck in the last screen (plus screen), after that it reboots and go to the same screen.

Attachments

• IMG_4279.jpg
    IMG_4279.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4280.jpg
    IMG_4280.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4282.jpg
    IMG_4282.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Right now I'm stuck in the last screen (plus screen), after that it reboots and go to the same screen.
Asus Z370 motherboard users have reported that when using two sticks of RAM, it is recommended to install them to slots B1 and A1 rather than the manual's recommendation of B2 and A2. The reason for this is that using B2 and A2 will cause a Clover error that will prevent booting.

Asus Z370 motherboard users have reported that when using two sticks of RAM, it is recommended to install them to slots B1 and A1 rather than the manual's recommendation of B2 and A2. The reason for this is that using B2 and A2 will cause a Clover error that will prevent booting.

I finally installed High Sierra...but i had to take out one of the RAM...every time i try to boot with the 2 sticks (no matter the position) it wont boot.

Plus, the image on high sierra is glitchy. I already installed the drivers with MultiBeast and nothing changed...no internet either.

UPDATE:
The system is still glitchy...but now my video card shows like it has 256mb (see atached pic).

Attachments

• image_50402305.JPG
    image_50402305.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
JTowers,

Did you tried following my guide? I managed to get everything working including Ethernet > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...sung-1tb-960-evo-nvme-nvidia-gtx-1050.249402/

Hey there...thanks for the response.

I got everything working...but the system is crashing a lot when i'm editing in Adobe Premiere or Davinci Resolve...i thought it could be a temperature problem, and although i didn't find any software to see if the gpu is hot or not, the cpu is operating in low temperatures.

I don't know if there is any relation or not, but those crashes started after i installed a second ssd.

...the system is crashing a lot when i'm editing in Adobe Premiere or Davinci Resolve...i thought it could be a temperature problem, and although i didn't find any software to see if the gpu is hot or not, the cpu is operating in low temperatures....

Install Intel Power Gadget. This way you will be able to track your CPU's most important values. Also the temperature will be displayed ;)

In the beginning I had my machine crashing while rendering/caching started in Resolve and Final Cut because the system shut down due to the heat the CPU produced when I set overclocking all to the max. Now I use the mobo's smart OC feature with moderate settings, because my water cooling system isn't well suited for extreme heat by OC'ing. You should check that first. Your second SSD is very unlikely causing shutdowns.

Hey there...thanks for the response.

I got everything working...but the system is crashing a lot when i'm editing in Adobe Premiere or Davinci Resolve...i thought it could be a temperature problem, and although i didn't find any software to see if the gpu is hot or not, the cpu is operating in low temperatures.

I don't know if there is any relation or not, but those crashes started after i installed a second ssd.

You're welcome.
For the SSD...Actually there is. Make sure your 2nd one is not attached to port 1 on the SATA port but either port 2 or 3, as that will conflict with the NVMe under SATA (if you have one installed)

Though its not been updated yet I should also mention on my Z370 build guide it would be advisable to remove the DSDT and select Plugin Type on the right under ACPI in Clover as that is now the normal procedure for 10.13.4. Add shikigva=60 and ngfxcompat=1 for boot arguments. That should make it more stable.

The ssd is attached to port 6 if i remember well. I'll try those configs.

Is there a way to prevent the system from restarting when in sleep mode? It does every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back