Contribute
Register

Coffee Lake - i7 8700K + ASUS PRIME Z370-A attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry mate, which bios version are you using?
I think it is bios related. I have found some threads speaking about succesfull dual channel installation with similar motherboard z370-f Asus prime
Am using latest bios from asus.com..see attachment. But i actually got it sorted by editing config.plist with my specific ram type, speed and size. But most importantly, i toggled smbios trust from 'true' to "false" and now my triple-boot works perfectly

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_150129.jpg
    IMG_20171202_150129.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 673
Am using latest bios from asus.com..see attachment. But i actually got it sorted by editing config.plist with my specific ram type, speed and size. But most importantly, i toggled smbios trust from 'true' to "false" and now my triple-boot works perfectly

Thanks for your updates and tips.
I will try later today to bring my hackintosh to life based on your tips.

Do you think it might work setting ram in dual channel configuration using that plist config, but only with 2 slots used? Or that trick might only work with 4 slots used?
I'll report later.
Thanks

Thanks for your updates and tips.
I will try later today to bring my hackintosh to life based on your tips.

Do you think it might work setting ram in dual channel configuration using that plist config, but only with 2 slots used? Or that trick might only work with 4 slots used?
I'll report later.
Thanks

I was thinking of doing that tonight...just configure for 2 ram slots and also just using "smbios trust" =false, and see whether it will detect ram info automatically. I will report back with an hour as i install my new cooler

Just to give some feedback on my progress:
- Finally got to boot with the RAM in slots A1 and A2 (I didn't go beyond the disk utility step on purpose, so I believe the main problem is confirmed being the RAM in dual channel slots)
- Tried to edit my config.plist in order to put the RAM (screenshot attached) with no success, but now the boot sequence stops a bit ahead (screen attached). I tried with RAM in slots 0 and 1, 0 and 2, 1 and 3, all with the same error.
- Also tried to add info using iMac 18,3 BIOS data inserted from Clover Configurator, with no success, always stops boot sequence in same step. I assume it might still RAM related.

Am I configuring the RAM wrong? Is the serial wrong?
One further note: my CPU is different from yours. Might that be a problem as well?

Looking forward for your feedback @materiks

20171202_172516.jpg 20171202_173143.jpg

I'll report later.
Thanks
I want to confirm that YES, dual channel with only 2 ram sticks works. Just put definations for ram slots "0" and "2" as on below attachments.

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_193043~01.jpg
    IMG_20171202_193043~01.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 725
I want to confirm that YES, dual channel with only 2 ram sticks works. Just put definations for ram slots "0" and "2" as on below attachments.

Great news.
I now need to find what might be going wrong for me then.
My first test was without any BIOS info added through Clover Configuration, and with RAM in slots 0 and 2.

- For a i8600k what iMac BIOS should I use in clover configurator? other than 18,3?
- Can anyone confirm that I am using the correct info for my RAM (https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c16d-16gisb)

Am I configuring the RAM wrong? Is the serial wrong?
One further note: my CPU is different from yours. Might that be a problem as well?

Looking forward for your feedback @materiks

If installing in single channel, then the problem is not ram and there is no need for ram definitions on SMBIOS. According to the verbose on attachment..maybe its the "ACPI" section of config.plist you should be looking at. If possible, can you try my latest/updated EFI attached here and just edit the ram info, then see how it goes..
Also, as far as 'SMBIOS' goes, 14.2 is the go to definition when things aren't working. However, with this build i have only used 18.3 because it's the closest to coffee lake cpu that i am using.

Attachments

• materiks-EFI_AsusPrime-Z370-A.zip
    18.9 MB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Just made a successful boot with your EFI!
And the most curious thing, I forgot to edit the RAM (just copied to the USB pen and ejected it), and it booted.
I formatted my ssd, but now I'm having trouble with the installation. I can't boot to Clover after the first installation run. It keeps going to the installation menu of high sierra.

EDIT:
Strange things happened. As mentioned above, something happened to my clover boot pen drive after the first run, which prevented me to boot to the clover menu, so it kept booting automatically as it was always the first time (went to the menu that has the disk utility, install, etc, options).
So, today I formatted my pen drive and rebuilt it with unibeast 8.0.0, and my idea was to try the whole process from the beginning. But to my surprise, the clover boot menu now showed up and recognised my macOs installation, and I could boot from my SSD now and finish the macOs high-sierra installation.

In the memory information menu, it tells me the system has 3 memory slots, and that only 2 are used, for a total of 16Gb. This is also strange (I used the slot 0 and 2 on config.plist), but if I manage to optimize my installation with Multibeast, I think I'll stop here for now and won't try to understand what happened here. Maybe I'll try a fresh install in a month or so. I'll keep you updated.

EDIT 2:
Back to the ++++++++++ boot freeze after trying post-installation with multibeast (followed this guide).
I believe this is probably because the pen drive used was the one created today with unibeast, and without @materiks EFI copied.
When I have some more spare time I will try to redo everything and try to find why I couldn't boot from clover after first run with @materiks EFI.

Last edited:
Just tried specifying the correct RAM in SMBIOS and it works!! Finally back on dual channel. My only issue remaining is audio, but it's not as important as I'm mostly only using my BT headset.

Just tried specifying the correct RAM in SMBIOS and it works!! Finally back on dual channel. My only issue remaining is audio, but it's not as important as I'm mostly only using my BT headset.
Did you use unibeast 8.1? Can you share your EFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back