Contribute
Register

Coffee Lake - i7 8700K + ASUS PRIME Z370-A attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading a lot about this problem, ended-up testing if my RAM was at fault... My RAM was configured in dual channel (A2 B2 as suggested in Asus's manual).

I first tried with only 1 module: Success, it was going past the line of pluses and got into the install
I tried again with 2 modules, swapping the their positions: Failure at pluses again
I tried again with 2 modules, but in single channel configuration: Success

So... Apparently, the Prime Z370 + Dual channel with my modules is causing the issue here. This configuration work perfectly in Windows.

Anyone has an idea ? I tried all the OsxAptioFixDrv, OsxAptioFix2Drv, OsxLowMemFixDrv, and also the ones fixing the X99 chipsets issues.

After reading a lot about this problem, ended-up testing if my RAM was at fault... My RAM was configured in dual channel (A2 B2 as suggested in Asus's manual).

I first tried with only 1 module: Success, it was going past the line of pluses and got into the install
I tried again with 2 modules, swapping the their positions: Failure at pluses again
I tried again with 2 modules, but in single channel configuration: Success

So... Apparently, the Prime Z370 + Dual channel with my modules is causing the issue here. This configuration work perfectly in Windows.

Anyone has an idea ? I tried all the OsxAptioFixDrv, OsxAptioFix2Drv, OsxLowMemFixDrv, and also the ones fixing the X99 chipsets issues.

Looks like i'm in the same boat. I spend several hours yesterday trying to get my install working on the Asus Prime Z370-A with no luck.

Setup:
MOBO: Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k
RAM: 2 x Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR4 3000
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Drive: Samsung Evo 960 NVMe M.2

I had the memory installed as recommended in a dual channel configuration (A2 B2) and the install was hanging at the ++++++++++ like others on this thread. I saw nitro1710's post, so I changed my memory configuration to single channel (A1 A2) to see whether I'd have similar results. I also updated my EFI volume using the files posted by osxjunkie.

So I am now getting further, but it's still not successfully installing. The first set of errors occur when the MacOS tries to read from the the RAM disk:
bootCache: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

This is followed by numerous com.apple.xpc.launchd errors and 'path not found' issues. For example:
<Error>: rc.cdrom: signaled: Killed: 9
<Error>: assertion failed: 17A365: launchd ...
<Error>: Could not read path: path = /Library/LaunchDaemons ...
<Error>: Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Library/LaunchDaemons ...

Since this is my first Hackintosh, I have no idea whether these errors are just "noise" or are related to the memory configuration issues. Trying the install on a single stick of memory yields similar results.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

Looks like i'm in the same boat. I spend several hours yesterday trying to get my install working on the Asus Prime Z370-A with no luck.

Setup:
MOBO: Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k
RAM: 2 x Ballistix Tactical 16GB DDR4 3000
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Drive: Samsung Evo 960 NVMe M.2

I had the memory installed as recommended in a dual channel configuration (A2 B2) and the install was hanging at the ++++++++++ like others on this thread. I saw nitro1710's post, so I changed my memory configuration to single channel (A1 A2) to see whether I'd have similar results. I also updated my EFI volume using the files posted by osxjunkie.

So I am now getting further, but it's still not successfully installing. The first set of errors occur when the MacOS tries to read from the the RAM disk:
bootCache: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory

This is followed by numerous com.apple.xpc.launchd errors and 'path not found' issues. For example:
<Error>: rc.cdrom: signaled: Killed: 9
<Error>: assertion failed: 17A365: launchd ...
<Error>: Could not read path: path = /Library/LaunchDaemons ...
<Error>: Failed to bootstrap path: path = /Library/LaunchDaemons ...

Since this is my first Hackintosh, I have no idea whether these errors are just "noise" or are related to the memory configuration issues. Trying the install on a single stick of memory yields similar results.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

hi. very strange this situation, maybe something related to bios settings?
i will receive this mobo with 8700k on Monday, and I will try and I will let you know

hi. very strange this situation, maybe something related to bios settings?
i will receive this mobo with 8700k on Monday, and I will try and I will let you know

I played quite a long time with different BIOS settings, but couldn't make it work in dual channel. Let me know if you find a way !

Other than that, got everything to work except audio for some reason... I didn't spend much time trying to debug it though.

I played quite a long time with different BIOS settings, but couldn't make it work in dual channel. Let me know if you find a way !

Other than that, got everything to work except audio for some reason... I didn't spend much time trying to debug it though.
I finally have everything working, including audio. I stubbed my toe multiple times but I was able I resolve most of the gotchas.

Here are my lessons learned:
  • The memory MUST be configured as single channel or it won't work. I believe this has to do with the fact that the default UniBeast profile is for an iMac, which only have 2 memory slots.
  • High Sierra has native support for NVMe M.2 devices, but the macOS disk utility will not recognize the device if it is the only SSD in the system. You'll need to plug in a spare SATA device to initialize the volume. Once this is done, you can remove the SATA device and macOS will find the volume for the OS install.
  • My card was an EVGA Geforce GTX 1060. There was absolutely NO way I could make it through the original install unless the card was completely removed from the system. Once the initial install was done, I was able to install the Nvidia web drivers and boot up with the GPU installed. An even then, the only way the card would work was with the NvidiaSingle option enabled in Clover.
  • Things went much more smoothly after I updated to the latest version of Clover.
  • The UniBeast installer seems to be a bit out of date for a Coffee Lake install. Many options and settings are not optimized. For example, iMac18,3 should be used for SMBIOS profile and many helpful DSDT patches are missing.
  • There are some posts on a different Hackintosh web site specifically related to Coffee Lake and installing Nvidia drivers on High Sierra that I found to be very helpful in figuring out why I was having so many issues.
  • Although not completely needed, I generated CPU stepping profiles for Coffee Lake following an SSDT guide

My suggestion for anyone installing on this Mobo with an Nvidia card and/or M.2 drive is to do their homework before diving in. Apparently AMD cards are supported out of the box on High Sierra, but I wanted to go with an Nvidia Pascal card so I could use CUDA drivers for some development work I'm doing.

I can also share my EFI if anyone is interested.

Good luck to all!

P.S. My apologies for the lack of proper hyperlinks - the editor didn't allow me to embed links in my post.

Last edited:
Same mobo+cpu and high sierra working flawlessly on my triple-boot (Debian9+osx+windows 10) hackintosh . Tonight, I intend to try switching ram to dual channel and report back. Initially, I would have it getting stuck at the ++++ point until I saw this thread about ram and dual channel problem but still.. The fresh install would fail. Then I tried install on debian VMware and it complained virtualization was turned off. Fixed that in bios and everything worked.

Tested ram dual channel set up with only 2 ram sticks, high sierra boots up halfway and then automatically reboots. It's a fail, so far... Only other option on this mobo, is to use all 4 ram slots with 4 sticks.

Thanks everyone for all your updates.
Currently I installed windows because I desperately needed the PC to work and couldn't wait more for tests, but will try soon to do my hackintosh.

Just one quick question. Have you tried to put the RAM back in dual channel configuration on the motherboard after a successful high sierra installation?
It would be great to manage to install in single channel and then use the dual channel mode, since I want to have a dual boot machine with windows and high sierra.

sorry mate, which bios version are you using?
I think it is bios related. I have found some threads speaking about succesfull dual channel installation with similar motherboard z370-f Asus prime

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all your updates.
Currently I installed windows because I desperately needed the PC to work and couldn't wait more for tests, but will try soon to do my hackintosh.

Just one quick question. Have you tried to put the RAM back in dual channel configuration on the motherboard after a successful high sierra installation?
It would be great to manage to install in single channel and then use the dual channel mode, since I want to have a dual boot machine with windows and high sierra.

I filled all 4 ram slots = 16gb but only 2 were us able by sierra. Then this morning I researched online and finally had everything working :)
I edited config.plist ... See attachments

Attachments

• IMG_20171202_140725~01.jpg
    IMG_20171202_140725~01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,845
  • IMG_20171202_140628~01.jpg
    IMG_20171202_140628~01.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,806
  • IMG_20171202_140245~01.jpg
    IMG_20171202_140245~01.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,890
  • IMG_20171202_135900~01.jpg