Contribute
Register

Coffee Lake - i7 8700K + ASUS PRIME Z370-A attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ssd is attached to port 6 if i remember well. I'll try those configs.

Is there a way to prevent the system from restarting when in sleep mode? It does every time.

Hi Jtowers .. I just wanted to ask you if you managed to run everything on the hakintosh by now? cuz I have exactly the same setup, but the GPU is MSI gtx 1070ti. I was wondering if you could share your EFI folder since I've been trying to build the hakintosh almost 2 month with no success of making a stable version. Either Nvidia does not work, or sound or the sleep.
Thanks

Hi Jtowers .. I just wanted to ask you if you managed to run everything on the hakintosh by now? cuz I have exactly the same setup, but the GPU is MSI gtx 1070ti. I was wondering if you could share your EFI folder since I've been trying to build the hakintosh almost 2 month with no success of making a stable version. Either Nvidia does not work, or sound or the sleep.
Thanks
Why not AMD?

I finally have everything working, including audio. I stubbed my toe multiple times but I was able I resolve most of the gotchas.

Here are my lessons learned:
  • The memory MUST be configured as single channel or it won't work. I believe this has to do with the fact that the default UniBeast profile is for an iMac, which only have 2 memory slots.
  • High Sierra has native support for NVMe M.2 devices, but the macOS disk utility will not recognize the device if it is the only SSD in the system. You'll need to plug in a spare SATA device to initialize the volume. Once this is done, you can remove the SATA device and macOS will find the volume for the OS install.
  • My card was an EVGA Geforce GTX 1060. There was absolutely NO way I could make it through the original install unless the card was completely removed from the system. Once the initial install was done, I was able to install the Nvidia web drivers and boot up with the GPU installed. An even then, the only way the card would work was with the NvidiaSingle option enabled in Clover.
  • Things went much more smoothly after I updated to the latest version of Clover.
  • The UniBeast installer seems to be a bit out of date for a Coffee Lake install. Many options and settings are not optimized. For example, iMac18,3 should be used for SMBIOS profile and many helpful DSDT patches are missing.
  • There are some posts on a different Hackintosh web site specifically related to Coffee Lake and installing Nvidia drivers on High Sierra that I found to be very helpful in figuring out why I was having so many issues.
  • Although not completely needed, I generated CPU stepping profiles for Coffee Lake following an SSDT guide

My suggestion for anyone installing on this Mobo with an Nvidia card and/or M.2 drive is to do their homework before diving in. Apparently AMD cards are supported out of the box on High Sierra, but I wanted to go with an Nvidia Pascal card so I could use CUDA drivers for some development work I'm doing.

I can also share my EFI if anyone is interested.

Good luck to all!

P.S. My apologies for the lack of proper hyperlinks - the editor didn't allow me to embed links in my post.

Hey there, I would LOVE that EFI if you're willing. Thanks so much!

Thanks

Hi there...sorry, i didn't see your message...
Everything is running smooth now, except when the hack enters sleep mode...
I attached my EFI folder, although when i tried with someone else's folder it didn't help much...hope it works for you

Attachments

• EFI_jtowers.zip
    16.3 MB · Views: 178
I am trying to render Cinema 4d projects and have built the mackintosh to do this with this build

ASUS prime z370-A
I7 8700K coffee lake
MSI Geforce 1060
64mb Corsair vengeance DDR4 RAM

Have fallen at these hurdles :
'Couldn't copy apfs.efi to destination ESP folder'
couldn't find the xHCI handoff

I am struggling to get this work done and may turn to windows..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I am trying to render Cinema 4d projects and have built the mackintosh to do this with this build

ASUS prime z370-A
I7 8700K coffee lake
MSI Geforce 1060
64mb Corsair vengeance DDR4 RAM

Have fallen at these hurdles :
'Couldn't copy apfs.efi to destination ESP folder'
couldn't find the xHCI handoff

I am struggling to get this work done and may turn to windows..

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

When exactly this message appears?

Is there a way to prevent the system from restarting when in sleep mode? It does every time.

Having similar problem as you. Any progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back