Contribute
Register

CMOS resets after every shutdown (macOS Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
CPU
3.41 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2047 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys. I have the problem that every time I start my machine the bios prompts with a warning that the CMOS is reset and the option to choose default setting or a profile I have saved. I have made and saved a profile called "macOS" with the specific changes made to work as a hackintosh.

When I manually choose my "macOS" CMOS profile the machine is booting normally but it is kind of annoying to have this extra step every time.

I wrote that in the past a couple of people had the same issue but I can't find any infos or ideas to sort this problem out under macOS Sierra.

Any ideas?

Set AppleRTC to true in Clover's config.plist

Code:
<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
    <dict>
        <key>AppleRTC</key>
        <true/>
    </dict>

I just upgraded to Sierra and am seeing the same behavior, but, already have that set to true.

I have the same problem. I either installed on a test drive a fresh 10.12.1, by means of tonymacx86 unibeast-multibeast usb drive, AND upgrading to Sierra 10.12.3 from El Capitan (also installed by unibeast/multibeast) on an EVO SSD drive (I think 10.11.5). In both cases I use the very last release of Clover Configurator (now 4.40.2 on the test drive, where I'm writing from, and 4.40 on the SSD) and have installed last clover 4035 package. In both config.plist ALL the relevant modifiers ar ON:
in ACPI section:
FixShutdown_004
FixHPET_0010
FixHDA_8000
(Audio is perfectly working)
AddDTGP_0001
FixIPIC_0040
FicUSB_1000

In Boot section:
darkwake
dart=0

Kernel and Kext Patches section:
modifiers:
AppleRTC
AsusAICPUPM
KernelPm

KextsToPatch:
AppleHDA (n. 3 entries for different HEX)
AppleAHCIPort

SMBIOS
are always MacPro5,1

In both config.plist, I manually added, by means of PlistPro, the strings:

<key>ACPI</key>
<dict>
<key>HaltEnabler</key>
</tru>

</dict>
because in Clover Configurator I could not find the possibility of setting "true" this modifier.

When I'm on the upgraded 10.12.3, the shutdown completely hangs, and I have to force power down by pressing power switch.
In the 10.12.1 (which I'm now upgrading to 10.12.3 to see the differences) the powerdown eventually occurs. Then, when I press the power switch to power-on again the system, the bios does not respond. I have to force shutdown, disconnect the power line for 25-30 seconds, then turn-on the system, and always am getting the warning GA-EX58-UD5 bios reset message, as in the first case.
I checked the S/L/E AppleRTC.kext, and it is the original kext (I never used a different one).
I suspect that just a little before the shutdown occurs, there might be a kernel panic, or whatever else, causing the bioses reset.
Do you have any suggestion for further investigations or kext-patching or whatever else?
Thank you very much in any case.

Last edited:
Thank you to everybody there. I think I have solved the problem, on the fresh 10.12.1 installation, now updated, via macosupdcombo10.12.3, to 10.12.3. After updating, the shutdown freezing, and subsequent Bios Cmos reset, appeared once again, so that I proceeded as follows:
  1. Inserted the El Capitan Installation USB drive;
  2. Extracted all the kexts in the S/L/Extension folder in a local folder (I did not have a backup of 10.11.x AppleRTC.kext);
  3. Made a backup of ALL the 10.12.3 kexts, then installed El Capitan AppleRTC.kext using Kextbeast.pkg;
Then I did a shut down of the system, and this time the shutdown was complete.
I restarted the system, experiencing NO Bios reset.
I copied on my usb Sierra installation disk the El Capitan extensions folder for further use, in particular for using the same procedure on the second system, on the SSD disk.
I will inform you about the results.

Attachments

• AppleRTC.kext.zip
    25 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
I just upgraded to Sierra and am seeing the same behavior, but, already have that set to true.
Have you solved your problem? I have detailed the steps I followed in my posts, and would like to know if you did the same or something different.

I had the same problem on Sierra. I upgraded to High Sierra. The problem is not as bad or frequent of crashing on shut down.

Darwin dumper suggested my RTC is improperly set. I have RTC checked in Clover configurator. Darwin dumper output:

CMOS Dumper V0.1.:)
DSDT has RTC Length of 2. Dumped 128 Bytes.
--------------------------------------------------
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F |
0|02 59 12 01 01 05 03 27 12 17 26 02 50 80 00 00 |
1|40 ff ff ff ff 7b 02 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff |
2|ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 1b a2 |
3|ff ff 20 ff ff 4a 0c ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 3d 52 |
4|00 00 b2 7e d7 c8 c0 00 fc ff 00 00 00 00 ff 00 |
5|00 ff 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff |
6|ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff |
7|ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff |
By observtion of the CHANGED bytes from Sleep/Wake Cycles
You MAY get some idea as to why CMOS RESET bug exists!!!!

Any suggestions ?

Reactions: Ves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back