Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks. If you look through my post history you'll see that I'm rife with just about every problem that could befall a first time builder. Most of it is all having to do with my (customac mini deluxe suggested parts outside of case and PSU) build's i7 HD 4600 integrated graphics. No amount of fiddling with the Uni/MultiBeast bootloader method could successfully inject the intel graphics. I could install and boot Mavericks and then Yosemite when it was released, but I was locked in to 'Display 7 MB' under graphics. Seriously NOTHING would fix it.

So I gave up, and I am trying Clover. It's a bit of a headscratcher and requires quite a bit more from the user, but I am happy to say that upon reaching the installer, and viewing my system information, I can see that Intel HD 4600 is loaded with 1536 MB VRAM. This is EXACTLY the problem I have been trying to fix for an entire week of 7pm-3am tinkering. You have no idea how nice it is to know that it can be salvaged, and my parts are ok. But I have landed on another (sigh) problem.

I am referencing these two guides in tandem to see the general Clover method, with the additional tidbits for Yosemite:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143697-easy-yosemite-clover-usb-installer.html

I chose the right settings for the bootloader USB key, Legacy mode for my 8 series Gigabyte mobo (Z87N-Wifi), and used the attached 'Intel HD 4600 fix" config.plist from Tony's thread. I am able to boot to the installer with no extra flags, just the default -v. I run the installer, it finishes and says it needs to restart to complete. The guides say boot again into USB installer so it can create the recovery partition and complete. However, when I boot into the installer the second time, it isn't continuing any process from before. It brings up a brand new installation window. If I follow through with that, it finishes and says it must restart to complete. I'm under the impression that this second boot to USB was the last I need to do, so I restart and select my SSD as my boot option....and there is no media to boot to so it cycles down to the USB as the only bootable media....

No matter how many times I boot to the installer, and follow through with it, it will not create an install on my SSD for me to boot to to finalize all this. I'm SO CLOSE I can taste it. I just need someone to help me reach the doorway to a WORKING CUSTOMAC UTOPIA! Please be my tech saviour!

Curious, did set onboard graphics memory to 64mb?

Yes. UEFI setting are all nice and tidy. That wa the first part of the whole process I really understood.

How 'bout a screenie of your Clover install settings...

I'm now away from the machine. At a bar. Haha. You could just as easily look at Tony's legacy settings from his guide. They are unchanged from that.

Enjoy the bar. Maybe try a UEFI install.

I will try that I guess. Don't know why it wouldn't work with the instructions for my board. I mean 8 series Gigabyte board is pretty spelled out. Bah!

I'm having problems creating a bootable Yosemite SSD using Chimera. Boot0 errors, Can't find the kernel errors. Tried Clover, no go. I'm going to try and install on my HD later today. Had no problem upgrading my other Hackintosh that is HDD only. Just can't get SSD to work.

Well that's strange, and I can't really offer much help, inexperienced as I am. I will say that for my situation, the SSD worked fine for installation of OS X through chameleon. But no matter what I did, I couldn't get graphics working through chameleon, hence why I tried Clover. Then I try Clover, get graphics working just fine, but CAN'T get the two part installation to work on my SSD. The data has been written. I can see it in Disk Utility. It's just not bootable when I choose the SSD from the list. "No boot media" when I do.

Can anybody fill me in on what's supposed to happen when you go into the installer the second time for the EFI partition installation? When I boot into it again, it loads with a black BG and white apple logo, then comes up with a OS X Yosemite window with a blue progress bar that's all the way filled. That sits there for about 15 seconds, and then a fresh "Install OS X Yosemite" window replaces it. The same one you use the first time around. I choose install again and it ends with the same "needs to restart to complete installation". So I do, and choose my SSD...no boot media. If that all sounds right, then I don't know what the deal is. If both installations in the sequence look exactly the same, how can I tell when the second one is properly performing the backup, and not overwriting the first? Is there a way to tell if my SSD is coopoerating in the creation of the EFI backup?

Ok, maybe I should have mentioned this before but I thought it was a fluke. During the process, at one point I lost all recognition of all drives from my mobo. I also lost USB support, just about everything. I had to pop the mobo CMOS battery out to revert back to standard settings to solve the problem. I thought that had just been some kind of strange accident. But now, in my repeated fiddling with booting into the installer, reinstalling, checking disk utility, reformatting, reinstalling, I booted one last time into the USB installer through the clover GUI, and in the middle of its verbose boot, the machine turned off, and tried to reboot, but now ALL boot media is unrecognized, USB and SSD alike, just like last time. I'm now popping out my CMOS battery to fix the problem again. This can't be unrelated. There's no way this would happen twice when doing this process and be a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back