Contribute
Register

Clover wont see the PCIe SSD (NvmExpressDXE Installed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 AORUS Master / 32GB 3600 Ram /10.14.3
CPU
i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz
Graphics
Dual AMD Vega64 (Gigabyte)
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I have my old Hackintosh (z77ud5h/i5 3570k) that I'm giving abit of a refresh but have come across an issue.

I have an APPLE PCIe SSD i recovered from a macbook air that I put onto this adapter and installed it in the computer.

The issue is that clover does not see the drive, I have the NVME driver properly installed in the efi partition.
If I boot the Mojave installer it sees the drive and I can install onto it. I also have another SSD with mavericks installed and that OS also sees the drive.
Also just to note the Z77X-UD5H support NVMe from a bios update and have tested it with another SSD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The issue is that clover does not see the drive, I have
I have an APPLE PCIe SSD i recovered from a macbook air that I put onto this adapter and installed it in the computer.The issue is that clover does not see the drive, I have the NVME driver properly installed in the efi partition.
  • CLOVER from what disk DOES not see the APPLE PCIe SSD?
  • What does APPLE PCIe SSD contain?
    • Blank Disk?
    • Erased Disk?
    • A disk with any OS?
    • Disk with any Data?
  • What does the BIOS_Peripheral_NVMe Configuration screen showing?
If I boot the Mojave installer it sees the drive and I can install onto it. I also have another SSD with mavericks installed and that OS also sees the drive.
  • If a Mojave Installer can see the disk in CLOVER Boot Manager (CBM) Screen, I presume the disk is healthy.
  • Did you install Mojave on that Disk (after GUID+APFS Erase)?
  • Did you install CLOVER and required kexts on that PCIE SSD after Mojave Installation?
  • Without any of these details either in text or uploaded screen shots, it is hard to understand what problem you are facing and what troubleshoot you should start.

For the Z77 motherboards you need to mod the BIOS for the motherboard, and, thus, Clover to see your NVMe SSD in the PCIe card. See my post here on how I did it. It's a PITA.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...77x-up5-th-gtx-760.73112/page-90#post-1487319

Note: since High Sierra, you don't need to use RehabMan's NVMe spoof technique.
Bios F16j has NVMe support built in no BIOS mod needed. I've successfully used it with other NVMe drives.

• CLOVER from what disk DOES not see the APPLE PCIe SSD?
  • What does APPLE PCIe SSD contain?
    • Blank Disk?
    • Erased Disk?
    • A disk with any OS?
    • Disk with any Data?
  • What does the BIOS_Peripheral_NVMe Configuration screen showing?
I've installed Mojave, Cloned my mavericks install and even windows. The drive never appears under CBM

However it doesn't show up in the BIOS either even though other NVMe drives do.

Here you can see it in the mojave installer disk utility

Then you can install

But when you reboot

Here you can see it from my other OS (Mavericks)

I did just notice one thing. It's a SATA Express drive not NVMe. Could that be the issue?

Any Thoughts? and thank for the input :)

Bios F16j has NVMe support built in no BIOS mod needed. I've successfully used it with other NVMe drives.

I've installed Mojave, Cloned my mavericks install and even windows. The drive never appears under CBM

View attachment 401654

Then you can install
View attachment 401657

But when you reboot
View attachment 401658

View attachment 401659
I did just notice one thing. It's a SATA Express drive not NVMe. Could that be the issue?

Clover/Drivers64EFI? APFSAutoloaddriver? It shows the install but the final needs apfsefi it better yet the apfsautoloader driver to detect Mojave installed.

View attachment 401654

Then you can install
View attachment 401657

But when you reboot
View attachment 401658

View attachment 401659

Based on the Images uploaded, the Apple SSD SM0128SF ~120GB looks like an EXTERNAL Disk like an SSD inside an External USB Docking Station. [See edited images]

Your comments?

Attachments

• 2.macOSMojave Installation Screen.png
    2.macOSMojave Installation Screen.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 1.External SSD.png
    1.External SSD.png
    653.6 KB · Views: 182
Based on the Images uploaded, the Apple SSD SM0128SF ~120GB looks like an EXTERNAL Disk like an SSD inside an External USB Docking Station. [See edited images]

Your comments?
I too thought that strange but disregarded it as I recall it would happen from time to time with hackintoshes I would build but still functions properly; also only in the Mojave Installer. If I boot maverick on my other SATA SSD it shows like an internal drive.

Clover/Drivers64EFI? APFSAutoloaddriver? It shows the install but the final needs apfsefi it better yet the apfsautoloader driver to detect Mojave installed.
Yes they are there, that would not explain not seeing my cloned mavericks which is HFS as well as when I installed windows in it I have the needed NTFS and HFS .efi files inmu clover folder

I too thought that strange but disregarded it as I recall it would happen from time to time with hackintoshes I would build but still functions properly; also only in the Mojave Installer. If I boot maverick on my other SATA SSD it shows like an internal drive.

• If you can upload BIOS Screen Captures of System, BIOS Features and Peripherals, that might clarify the 'strange behavior' of your Apple SSD SM0128SF ~120GB loaded from a PCIE Card.
    • See images of BIOS screen Captures needed.
  • Easy to auto-capture , save and retrieve the BIOS Screen shots through your Mojave USB Installer's EFI Partition where there is a lot of free space.
    • If you want the steps, find them here -> #33

• The above is for a definitive diagnosis of of this unusual behavior of an Internal Disk showing up as External.
  • As part of a troubleshoot, I would suggest to boot your Maverick (I've presumed it is booting using CLOVER) and using Maverick''s Disk Utility Partition the Apple SSD in GUID and Format in APFS and see if it can be seen in BIOS and then try reinstalling macOSMojave .

• I would prefer you upload BIOS screen shots first , so that we can see how BIOS sees your Disk before the suggested troubleshoot.

Attachments

• 1.BIOS-System.png
    1.BIOS-System.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 2.BIOS Features.png
    2.BIOS Features.png
    274.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 3.BIOS_Peripherals_NVMe and SATA configs.png
    3.BIOS_Peripherals_NVMe and SATA configs.png
    303.1 KB · Views: 302
  • If you can upload BIOS Screen Captures of System, BIOS Features and Peripherals, that might clarify the 'strange behavior' of your Apple SSD SM0128SF ~120GB loaded from a PCIE Card.
    • See images of BIOS screen Captures needed.
  • Easy to auto-capture , save and retrieve the BIOS Screen shots through your Mojave USB Installer's EFI Partition where there is a lot of free space.
    • If you want the steps, find them here -> #33

• The above is for a definitive diagnosis of of this unusual behavior of an Internal Disk showing up as External.
  • As part of a troubleshoot, I would suggest to boot your Maverick (I've presumed it is booting using CLOVER) and using Maverick''s Disk Utility Partition the Apple SSD in GUID and Format in APFS and see if it can be seen in BIOS and then try reinstalling macOSMojave .

• I would prefer you upload BIOS screen shots first , so that we can see how BIOS sees your Disk before the suggested troubleshoot.
The drive is not detected at all in the BIOS

The only Drives that show up is my Mojave Installer Key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back