Contribute
Register

Clover with the old guard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I am using a custom DSDT I edited some time ago using d00d's excellent guide for native power management on EX58 and X58A boards over on insanely. Without the DSDT you need NullCPUPM kext to prevent the AppleIntelCPUPM kext from causing a KP.

So, I got to spend some time on this over the holidays and I'm now up and running on Sierra (clean install - the existing OS installation goes back to the original Snow Leopard build on this machine!).

I made my DSDT using MaciASL and https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...55-1156-1366-dsdt-patches-for-maciasl.108238/ which appears to pretty much match dood's guide.

I also swapped graphics to a GT740 (that was never reliable or properly identified under El Capitan, but just works in Sierra).

For the little time that I've had to use it, it appears that shutdown works reliably and possibly even sleep! (time will tell).

Quirks that I haven't figured out yet:

• Cinebench is slower in my final installation (layered with all my user muck) than it is in my bare bones test installation.
  • The clover boot screen is high resolution from the USB, but reverts to low resolution when booting from the OS disk (same config and I've even copied EFI from USB to disk).
  • I was initially unable to boot from disk because the on-board USB3 ports had been re-enabled (it hung at PCI Configuration begin), but again strangely this wasn't a problem from the USB installer (again, exactly the same config including the MacPro5,1 config.plist and my DSTD)... is there some other magic in the installer version?
All-in, it's looking better than it has for many years :D - should last another couple now :D

Hi,

Using this MB for many years already, had it running with Chameleon/Chimera and more recently with clover. Quite painless during all these years. Still have separate HDD's with different setups and respective bootloaders. Switched to Clover since the launch of Yosemite, then to El Capitan. Got a SSD a few month ago and made a fresh install of Sierra on it, updated to the latest version, with a USB stick, Unibeast/Sierra installer.

While fiddling with the latest Nvidia Web drivers, I started to have some minor issues, having to reboot once after each restart in order to launch properly, was getting a black screen half way through the apple logo appearing.

Last Friday had a improper shutdown, a few beeps, meaning BIOS reset. Happened a few times over the years, not a big issue. So yesterday when started, went to BIOS and setup the proper settings again. To my big surprise, I no longer can boot clover. This not only from my latest Sierra setup, but from all my previous setups. As I mentioned before, I kept bootable backups of my older system, these also no longer boot. Not even my install USB stick. Not even a 2nd one that I created over the weekend. Without exception, booting from any of these, I can't get past b1f: init 6 error

It makes no sense. I mean if suddenly one system no longer boots, this can happen. But affecting clones and older setups kept separate and that where all working properly, how can this be? Something wrong with the MB?

My Mavericks/Chimera HDD still boots fine. I also have a Win7 and another Win10 HDD, no bootloader, just booting using F12 for selection, both these also work fine.

I don't understand what is happening. Researched/tested all kind of things. Mounted EFI partitions, copied boot and EFI folders from backups... nothing works. Don't know what else to do. Hope somebody can give me any suggestion.

Clover has been so easy for me and painless... up until now!

The big 3 BIOS settings for OS X on the X58 platform are:
SATA Mode = AHCI
ACPI set at SSE3
Enable HPET and set for 64bit

Try unplug PSU cord from the PSU, hold down CMOS reset for 10 sec, then hold down the power button for 1 minute or longer. This should totally discharge all of the capacitors.

Reconnect cord, power back up and boot to BIOS, set Optimized defaults and then the big 3 settings, save&exit and continue boot.

Hi Going Bald,

Tried your suggestions, also did not work. My Sierra setup was running great, never crashed before, even latest OS update did not require any further re-install of kext... Now I can't even create a new install, since my USB with Unibeast stalls at the same point. I don't understand, Bios settings are correct, what could have happened here?

Hi Going Bald,

Tried your suggestions, also did not work. My Sierra setup was running great, never crashed before, even latest OS update did not require any further re-install of kext... Now I can't even create a new install, since my USB with Unibeast stalls at the same point. I don't understand, Bios settings are correct, what could have happened here?
I reckon it's tripped over to the backup BIOS which is slightly corrupted. I'd try holding ctrl F12 or alt F12 with an old ps2 keyboard to see if you can recover your backup BIOS from the main BIOS? Or maybe just try a BIOS reflash till it boots again. My P67 board would refuse to sleep when it booted from the backup BIOS. I ended up copying over the backup BIOS from the main to avoid the hassle.

Have you ever had to replace the CMOS battery? Or have you had the same one in for a long time? Possible could be that? I had to replace mine once when I started to have weird issues, might be not holding BIOS settings long enough for a OS X boot?

Hi Going Bald,

Can you boot to Sierra desktop booting with UniBeast USB and selecting the Sierra icon to boot?

Have you ever had to replace the CMOS battery? Or have you had the same one in for a long time? Possible could be that? I had to replace mine once when I started to have weird issues, might be not holding BIOS settings long enough for a OS X boot?

Hi,

still using the same original battery, will try to replace it, not much else I can do. Will report again if this works.

Can you boot to Sierra desktop booting with UniBeast USB and selecting the Sierra icon to boot?
;
Well, as suggested, I replaced the CMOS battery, did not change anything.

I can't boot Sierra at all anymore. None of my boot drives with clover work anymore, not even my Unibeast installer. Can't get past message b1f : init6

One older Chameleon/Mavericks external backup boots fine, one Win7 and another Win10 disk also boot fine.

At this stage I can only imagine that something happened to my MB. Since it still works fine with my Windows disks, I already decided to setup a new mATX just for Sierra. Will get a new case, PSU, MB, CPU and RAM. For the other components, I have a enough laying around to complete a new rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back