Contribute
Register

Clover with the old guard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Damx,

Have you ran some benchmarks??? Do you get similar scores??? I've been playing with Clover for a week not and still can't get the same scores I was getting with good old chimera. It's driving me crazy!

If you are getting consistent scores, did you install clover fresh or did you "migrate" you clover install from multibeast?
Hi,
No, I haven't yet. I have read your post about the performance and concerned about it. The priority is to fix iMessage first (otherwise why would I bother), after that I will have a closer look at what happens with benchmarks. But so far nothing bad visible.

And yes, it was a Chimera-to-Clover migration.

Okey, thank you but how can I move the boot drive to port 0-3? I don't understand this part.

Take a look at the pic http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/gigabyte_x58a_ud3r/12.jpg

The blue ports are representing ICH10 (South Bridge) which can work as IDE, AHCI or XHD (ports 0-3).

I _think_ you have your drive plugged in to ports labeled on the board as GSATA 3_6, 3_7, 2_8 or 2_9. I'm suggesting that you move (physically) the cable to the blue ports. It's not from 0 to 3, it's 0-5 actually. 0-3 is the XHD RAID that won't work on OS X anyway. Here is how storage is done on the board:

-South Bridge:
–6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
–Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
-Marvell 9128 chip:
–2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
–Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1
-GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
–1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
–2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
–Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD
-JMicron JMB362 chip:
–2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices

When I created the bootable USB and plugged in appears the boot manager screen (grey colour) and I could choose between UEFI USB - DVD - ETC but when I chosen UEFI USB it didn't work. I can't go further than there. What can I do?..

Shoot, sorry, I forgot that you're still on USB part. I don't know, really, I didn't go that route. I booted/installed with USB made by Unibeast and then installed Clover on the top of that. Try that?

In my case I had Yosemite booting using Clover with network working but no sound.

I've got my sound working by simply moving AppleHDA from 10.10 to /S/L/E. LOL. It's 2.5.2fc2 for me, on rev1. It could be different for rev2 boards. This is a good place to shop for sounds http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/category/4-audio/

Ok, can someone explain when do I place kexts on EFI to 10.10 and when to /S/L/E ?

Booting the SAME installation from the USB disk I get a geek bench sore of 2500/9445 with Clover I get 1233/5410 that is almost half the performance. Any of you guys have any idea what could be affecting the performance?

By the way, did you see the different frequency reported for you RAM? 1333 Mhz vs 1600 Mhz

I've got my system up somehow, and crashing stopped. Something is fishy here with my hardware, but I don't think it's related to hackintosh. At any rate, I've got 1010/4396 for i7-930 running @ 2.80 Mhz and 12GB RAM reported as 1333Mhz, but BIOS has it set @ 1066 Mhz.

Regardless, I feel that it's slow(er)... Will report with a comparison later when bring my Chimera setup back up.

I've got 1010/4396 for i7-930 running @ 2.80 Mhz and 12GB RAM reported as 1333Mhz, but BIOS has it set @ 1066 Mhz.

Yep. I have 1676/7745 on the same build just different drive, using Chimera. ~30% performance loss on Clover.

Now what? :)

Yep. I have 1676/7745 on the same build just different drive, using Chimera. ~30% performance loss on Clover.

Now what? :)

That is interesting, at least I know it's not just me!

I have started a new thread just on the performance loss issue, feel free to post your results there maybe we can gain some traction:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate...lover-x58a-based-system-running-yosemite.html

About the memory, you're right, mines reports 1600Mhz under Chimera but only 1333Mhz in Clover. The BIOS setting is 1600Mhz. I wonder what that is all about and if that is the culprit. The proportion to performance loss seems to be right on.

Maybe the base clock is read wrong that is why it throws everything off??? Yet my CPU speed is reported accurately...

Are you using the same identical kexts on both systems??? I was also thinking that maybe some of the kexts installed in clover may be older or something so I was trying go through kexts but I doubt it will have anything to do with it. It seems to be more related to Clover reading the right values from the Bios to me

Take a look at the pic http://www.thinkcomputers.org/reviews/gigabyte_x58a_ud3r/12.jpg

The blue ports are representing ICH10 (South Bridge) which can work as IDE, AHCI or XHD (ports 0-3).

I _think_ you have your drive plugged in to ports labeled on the board as GSATA 3_6, 3_7, 2_8 or 2_9. I'm suggesting that you move (physically) the cable to the blue ports. It's not from 0 to 3, it's 0-5 actually. 0-3 is the XHD RAID that won't work on OS X anyway. Here is how storage is done on the board:

-South Bridge:
–6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
–Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
-Marvell 9128 chip:
–2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
–Support for SATA RAID 0, and RAID 1
-GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
–1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
–2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_8, GSATA2_9) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
-JMicron JMB362 chip:
–2 x eSATA 3Gb/s connectors on the back panel supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices

Thank you, I'll take a llook later. I've already a unibeast installation so I'll clone this disk to another one to work with it. One more question, if I can't connect my hdd to G_SATA3_6 or G_SATA3_7 how can I use my 6Gb/s HDD?

EDIT: I cloned my unibeast yosemite and I been able to install clover with your guide and I'm able to boot into. Now I have two problems, first the audio, I cant have audio working, I put it on S/L/E and it doesn't work, I don't know what I have to do, maybe put it in 10.10 folder inside Clover?.

Second, the 6Gb/s HDD, I want to use it but if I use this sata port clover doesn't boot ..

Thanks

By the way, did you see the different frequency reported for you RAM? 1333 Mhz vs 1600 Mhz

I've got my system up somehow, and crashing stopped. Something is fishy here with my hardware, but I don't think it's related to hackintosh. At any rate, I've got 1010/4396 for i7-930 running @ 2.80 Mhz and 12GB RAM reported as 1333Mhz, but BIOS has it set @ 1066 Mhz.

Regardless, I feel that it's slow(er)... Will report with a comparison later when bring my Chimera setup back up.

Looking at another thread I fixed the RAM reporting issue. You need to set XMPDetection to true in the clover config.plist. Thats a manual edit you can do using notepad. I did it manually and it reports ram correctly now. However it does not improve performance in any way...

Here is the complete thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/140145-memory-speed-downgraded-using-clover-2.html

Looking at another thread I fixed the RAM reporting issue. You need to set XMPDetection to true in the clover config.plist. Thats a manual edit you can do using notepad. I did it manually and it reports ram correctly now. However it does not improve performance in any way...

Here is the complete thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate-bootloaders/140145-memory-speed-downgraded-using-clover-2.html

Thanks for report! I think I've found a clue of the slowness issue in the Russian forum, where the clover is from apparently. It looks like it has something to do with creating correct ssdt and setting DropOemSSDT = Yes in Clover. That came from Slice back in April. I have no experience there, though, trying to get it. If you know anything about it - it may be a helpful tip for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back