Contribute
Register

Clover with the old guard: GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow Tony's instruction to reformat the EFI partition before running the Clover installer app.

Not needed if using the Legacy mode install as the EFI folder is created in the root of the OS X install just like the Extra folder is created with MultiBeast.

If you want the EFI folder in the EFI partition you need to mount the partition and move the EFI folder.

Not sure why tmx86 is calling for formatting the EFI partition in the Clover Guide. I never have and it works just fine without it as the disk utility automatically formats it when you format the drive.

Not needed if using the Legacy mode install as the EFI folder is created in the root of the OS X install just like the Extra folder is created with MultiBeast.

If you want the EFI folder in the EFI partition you need to mount the partition and move the EFI folder.

Not sure why tmx86 is calling for formatting the EFI partition in the Clover Guide. I never have and it works just fine without it as the disk utility automatically formats it when you format the drive.

GB this is good information. I had been following the guides and have done only one Legacy machine and moved the EFI folder to the EFI partition.

Good modding,
neil

I have been able to install Yosemite with Unibeast, set up all accounts and install Clover. After much tweaking and playing with kexts in the EFI partition I have a fairly Yosemite Install using Clover as the boatload. However I have a massive performance loss.

Booting the SAME installation from the USB disk I get a geek bench sore of 2500/9445 with Clover I get 1233/5410 that is almost half the performance. Any of you guys have any idea what could be affecting the performance?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.10.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.10.45 AM.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 208
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.11.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-05 at 10.11.03 AM.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 242
Hello spos86, can you tell me exactly which kexts did you installed? And did you use any bootflags to boot? Which one?.

Thank you.

ysko I would advise installing Yosemite using a UniBeast generated USB installer (see Tony's guide for this).

To get to the installer I used "PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes IGPEnabler=No" so use whatever works for your system.

Only have the target HDD in the system during installation and configuration of Yosemite and Clover.

Upon completion of the install, use the UniBeast USB to boot into Yosemite and walk through the account set screens. At this point eject your UniBeast USB key. Have the Clover installer along with copies of the kexts needed and the appropriate config.plist (again see Tony's Clover guide) on another USB and copy to the desktop.

Follow Tony's instruction to reformat the EFI partition before running the Clover installer app.

NOTE: MY experience is with version Clover_v2k_r2976. I noted that you are using a older version which may or may not have an impact. Also from your list of Clover selections, I also selected the "install RC scripts on the target volume".

In my case I had Yosemite booting using Clover with network working but no sound.

I tried a good number of things to get the audio to work and failed. I ended up going back to my Mavericks 10.9.5 installation and getting copies of AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler1.kext and used KextWizard to install in the Clover booted Yosemite.

And that is as far as I went as this is a lab machine and only used for experiments.

Good Modding,
neil

Hello neilhart, I tried what you said but it didn't work, I'm not able to boot. When I plug the USB it appears a grey screen where I can choose EFI USB Device but if I choose it nothing happens, I just come back to boot manager screen (the grey one) ...

Whan can I do?.

Thanks.

Hello neilhart, I tried what you said but it didn't work, I'm not able to boot. When I plug the USB it appears a grey screen where I can choose EFI USB Device but if I choose it nothing happens, I just come back to boot manager screen (the grey one) ...

Whan can I do?.

Thanks.

Please be specific. Did you install Yosemite? Did you go through the first boot setup?

Good modding,
neil

Hello spos86, can you tell me exactly which kexts did you installed? And did you use any bootflags to boot? Which one?.

Thank you.

Yes of course. The only bootflags I used where dart=o and kext-dev-mode=1

Kext wise these are on the 10.10 clover folder:
AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext
AppleACPIPlatform.kext
AppleHDA.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Legacy889HDA.kext

Also added RealtekRTL81xx.kext to the S/L/E Folder (didn't work in the clover folder for some odd reason.

The AppleACPIPlaform is the rollback on maltreats from 10.9.5. That one is extremely important. Without the rollback kernel will crash on book.

I used the DSDT from my previous Multibeast Install

That's pretty much it!

Ok so here is the super interesting part.

After the system goes to sleep with clover (And yes. somehow sleep is working just fine) the system wakes up at full performance.

Check out the screen grabs below. Same exact system, same install, same boot loader simply one is before sleep and the second after sleep. Any idea what it could be???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.32.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.32.57 AM.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.32.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-06 at 11.32.22 AM.png
    121.5 KB · Views: 161
This is a great thread! Thank you all for doing a great job testing Clover on this mobo.

I agree with Neil that GA-(X58) is one of the easiest ones from 'old' mobos. Mine is working like a charm with Chameleon installs, and I had nearly no issues when installing both 10.9 and 10.10. GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PCIRootUID=1 were the only bootflags I've used. Also, I do use the DSDT from this site just in case, though it works without it.

I am going to try Clover over this weekend on my other HDD. Hope I skip some of headache using the experience in this thread. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back