Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just for kicks I tried updating my Z390's Clover boot version from 5119 to 5123 (updated via Clover Configurator's "Install/Update Clover" page). After Restart, the AMI screen informed me of a "fatal error" because "Quirks" couldn't be found. And all stopped there. Tried it again, same result, so I deleted the EFI folder and replaced it with my backup's "5119" EFI folder, and everything worked again.
Why?

Just for kicks I tried updating my Z390's Clover boot version from 5119 to 5123 (updated via Clover Configurator's "Install/Update Clover" page). After Restart, the AMI screen informed me of a "fatal error" because "Quirks" couldn't be found. And all stopped there. Tried it again, same result, so I deleted the EFI folder and replaced it with my backup's "5119" EFI folder, and everything worked again.
Why?
you will need to add in the new quirks from the sample.plist

Feartech, thanks for your reply. But...
1) Where is the "sample.plist?" I don't find it in either of your links below.
2) Do I extract the "quirks" (whatever they are) from the "sample.plist" and just add them into my config.plist on its "Quirks" page? (Remember this is Clover, not OC.)

Feartech, thanks for your reply. But...
1) Where is the "sample.plist?" I don't find it in either of your links below.
2) Do I extract the "quirks" (whatever they are) from the "sample.plist" and just add them into my config.plist on its "Quirks" page? (Remember this is Clover, not OC.)
from the github:

Thanks again. I looked at the "RAW" sample.plist and it seems to set up the Quirks page with checkmarks in some boxes, and adds a whitelist. The thing is I don't agree with some of the items, such as "xhci port limit = true," since I already have an SSDT that sets my USB ports. So I will pick and choose from this list those things I "think" I want and hopefully things will work next time. Clover v 5119 works fine with the "Quirks" page totally blank, though, and I have no idea why Clover v 5123 needs stuff added, nor which stuff is relevant to my computer setup. Can you explain what's going on there?

Thanks again. I looked at the "RAW" sample.plist and it seems to set up the Quirks page with checkmarks in some boxes, and adds a whitelist. The thing is I don't agree with some of the items, such as "xhci port limit = true," since I already have an SSDT that sets my USB ports. So I will pick and choose from this list those things I "think" I want and hopefully things will work next time. Clover v 5119 works fine with the "Quirks" page totally blank, though, and I have no idea why Clover v 5123 needs stuff added, nor which stuff is relevant to my computer setup. Can you explain what's going on there?
not really, i just use opencore

no idea why clover has suddenly started adding opencore elements to clover for

but i think you should go with opencore instead

Thanks again for your help. I guess I'll stay with the working Clover v5119. I have read the guide material for OpenCore, but there are just too many things I don't understand, and my computers run just fine using Clover, all 4 of them on v5119.

Thanks again for your help. I guess I'll stay with the working Clover v5119. I have read the guide material for OpenCore, but there are just too many things I don't understand, and my computers run just fine using Clover, all 4 of them on v5119.
you can experiment with a usb stick if you wanted to try it out that way you won't mess up your main efi :)

Can you explain what's going on there?
Pre-release / Release v5.1 r5123
This is the joint project Clover+OpenCore (github/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg) so that starts as Clover with Clover GUI and settings and then loads OC to start chosen OS with delegated rights to load and patch kexts.
This version successfully loads BigSur and allows install and update.
Check new config-sample.plist. It contains default values for Quirks which are the most common settings.

r5119 is best to avoid any issues for Catalina. No dealing with Quirks, no new things that are prone to get broken, just good old pure Clover.

Seems like Clover's kext injection is too old for Big Sur so they either find a new way of injecting kexts or use OC along with Clover to achieve that. That is happening now. To learn more you need to read "Why OpenCore over Clover and others" page of OpenCore Install Guide. Can't give a link to it because it is cursed to do so in here. So Google will be happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back