Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning,
I just updated Clover to 5124 and now I'm only getting the Apple logo with no status bar. Before I rebooted, I had Clover Configurator check the kexts in my Other folder, and they were all up to date (Lilu, Whatevergreen, etc).

When I go into verbose mode, it's a very quick fail. I've tried safe mode, tried excluding kexts, tried going to a backup config. Not sure what happened.

Can anybody offer any advice?

IMG_0838.jpeg

Good morning,
I just updated Clover to 5124 and now I'm only getting the Apple logo with no status bar. Before I rebooted, I had Clover Configurator check the kexts in my Other folder, and they were all up to date (Lilu, Whatevergreen, etc).

When I go into verbose mode, it's a very quick fail. I've tried safe mode, tried excluding kexts, tried going to a backup config. Not sure what happened.

Can anybody offer any advice?

View attachment 491561

Hi there.

Do you still have your UniBeast installer USB stick? If so use that to boot your PC.

Once done I'd be tempted to safely backup your EFI folder from the main drive, then re-install the older, working, Clover bootloader. Once done put back your extra kexts and config.plist from the backup.

If you don't have the UniBeast USB can you recreate one?

Hi there.

Do you still have your UniBeast installer USB stick? If so use that to boot your PC.

Once done I'd be tempted to safely backup your EFI folder from the main drive, then re-install the older, working, Clover bootloader. Once done put back your extra kexts and config.plist from the backup.

If you don't have the UniBeast USB can you recreate one?
I haven’t had to create a UniBeast USB in quite a while. For the most part, my upgrades have been almost seamless, and if I do have it, it’s really old and I’m not even sure if I do.

It would be my last resort, but I could create one if needed.

I haven’t had to create a UniBeast USB in quite a while. For the most part, my upgrades have been almost seamless, and if I do have it, it’s really old and I’m not even sure if I do.

It would be my last resort, but I could create one if needed.

Why a last resort ? A good idea to keep one handy :thumbup:

So how to boot your system with only the new Clover menu to play with?

Okay, check what boot commands you have in place. They will be listed in the Options menu where you can edit them. Remember the pikera one for your GPU? You may also need the 'beta' tags: -lilubeta -wegbeta etc.

You can also manually disable kexts from loading that may be incompatible if they weren't updated first - whatevergreen etc.

Some people recommend resetting NVRAM (press F11) however I'm not always so confident with that one because you may loose stuff.

Search here is always your friend. :)

I did try manually disabling kexts, and I did try resetting NVRAM. No dice.

The problem with Unibeast, is it takes forever to install, and frankly, fails too often for me to install. I just tried and after like 45 minutes, I got a failure message. No idea why. I understand it's a good idea to have around, but as I said, I haven't had to use one it at least two major revisions of MacOS, so that's why I don't have one lying around.

So I'm looking for an explanation as to what all that means on the screenshot is, and what would have caused that? Did Clover move some of its folder structure? Did Clover installer maybe delete a kext that I need?

Edit:
I am trying again on a different USB drive. Also, I can boot into Windows 10, and I can mount my EFI parititon and see what is in there. Cursory glance, everything looks fine, but it could just be a corrupted kext.

Edit #2:
Second Unibeast failed. Got as far as trying to install Clover, but just hung for over an hour. I'm going this from my Macbook Air, so I just disabled SIP to see if that was causing an issue.

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same boat. attempting to update to 5124 goofed my boot. I can boot to Windows, but when I select the OSX partition it freezes immediately. I'll be watching this thread to see if you have any success. I'm going to attempt to install the previous version of Clover and report back my results.

EDIT: Seems we're not alone in this: https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/issues/258
Upon further investigation versions, 5123 & 5124 appear to be gearing up to the BigSur release. Probably best to stay with 5122 until then unless someone knows how to resolve this.

Last edited:
For all those here who update to Clover 2.4 r5124 you should understand that this release, and r5123 too, are unlike any of the previous ones in that they integrate Clover with OpenCore, delegating kext injection and drivers to OC in preparation for the run-up to Big Sur. The changes under the hood are not minor and you need to do some research if you are going to use it.

Check out the sample "config-sample.plist" included in the package for details of 'Quirk' usage. It can be opened using your favourite plain-text editor or the latest version of Clover Configurator.

If you do not wish to invest the time doing this, then I recommend you stick with, or revert to, an earlier, known working version of Clover for the time being.

As I mention above it is always wise to have a stand-by way to boot your PC if problems strike. A UniBeast installer USB, with a known working Clover bootloader, is a few minutes work but worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:
I did try manually disabling kexts, and I did try resetting NVRAM. No dice.

The problem with Unibeast, is it takes forever to install, and frankly, fails too often for me to install. I just tried and after like 45 minutes, I got a failure message. No idea why. I understand it's a good idea to have around, but as I said, I haven't had to use one it at least two major revisions of MacOS, so that's why I don't have one lying around.

So I'm looking for an explanation as to what all that means on the screenshot is, and what would have caused that? Did Clover move some of its folder structure? Did Clover installer maybe delete a kext that I need?

Edit:
I am trying again on a different USB drive. Also, I can boot into Windows 10, and I can mount my EFI parititon and see what is in there. Cursory glance, everything looks fine, but it could just be a corrupted kext.

Edit #2:
Second Unibeast failed. Got as far as trying to install Clover, but just hung for over an hour. I'm going this from my Macbook Air, so I just disabled SIP to see if that was causing an issue.

Creating a UniBeast installer for Catalina on a MacBook Air using the UniBeast package here, works.

Things to check are the 'csr' setting, as outlined in the guide and accessed from Recovery, and the memory stick you are using.

Issue resolved. Unibeast got me back into my Hackintosh (sort of). I had to share screen to get in, and then I restored the EFI from the backup folder, and then reinstalled 5122.

Now all I got to figure out is why my sound stopped working about a month ago, which I've been fighting since then.

As I mention above it is always wise to have a stand-by way to boot your PC if problems strike. A UniBeast installer USB, with a known working Clover bootloader, is a few minutes work but worth its weight in gold.

Yes, the CSR (SIP) setting is what was causing the problem on my Macbook Air. A quick review of the Unibeast install log showed it failing when trying to install the bootloader, even though Unibeast still said it was trying to. It would be helpful if Unibeast would actually fail with an error and not act like it's still trying to complete the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back