RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I updated my perfectly working 0 issue clover from r2976 to 2988 with same configuration and installation setup across the board, and the new version would not post at all. it'd literally loop back to bios. I tried every fix imaginable. I tried UEFI, non UEFI. USB flash drive boot, hard drive boot. no matter what the new version was unbootable.

I reinstalled 2976 and low and behold, 100% working again. I guess my lesson as a new clover user, once it's working, don't update it, EVER. I have since removed pref pane and auto update checking and I will not be updating this bootloader again until probably 10.11 when it's required, and when I do I'll take extra caution in doing so.

All I can say is whatever happened between 2976 and 2988 is very bad.

just now updated. 100% functionality, zero issues.

Sure you updated properly?

Also just updated with no issue. Go figure!

theres really no point in updating as long as its working its working I'm going to leave mine alone mines fine and everything is working such as iMessage and FaceTime etc so i don't think theres no point in updating

No problem here... This isn't Windoze, if you aren't trying to fix a specific problem, I'd suggest you leave working **** alone...

I updated my perfectly working 0 issue clover from r2976 to 2988 with same configuration and installation setup across the board, and the new version would not post at all.

I reinstalled 2976 and low and behold, 100% working again.

Same here. I had 2953 up and running. I updated to 2988 and the boot loader started, but as soon as I chose my OS X HDD it just got stuck with a black screen. I then downgraded to version 2976 and it works just fine again. I am using a BIOS only board.. maybe it has something to do with that.

Same here, was working fine en r2976 and black screen on r2988.
I tried booting in verbose mode, and it doesn't even start the OS X kernel, it's stuck at this point:

Code:
OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
Using reloc block: yes, hibernate wake: no
efi boot loaded from device: Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/Pci(1F|2)/SATA(2,FFFF)/HD(Part2,SigB3FB6656-4C01-4DA9-B936-8EF12427F95F)
boot file path: System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
_

Also I had to add the -v flag in the boot.plist file, as trying to modify the boot options from Clover itself freeze it too.

I tried to reinstall it from scratch, removing existing CLOVER and BOOT folder from EFI partition, with no luck.
Strangely, it does boot the recovery partition just fine.

Also my partition table is as follow:
Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *960.2 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS OS X                    959.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             784.2 MB   disk0s3

So my OS X partition is 960GB big, maybe it's a possible cause? What the size of yours (working or not working)?

boot file path: System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi
^^
That's where I was getting stuck with USB boot, using UEFI or standard

SATA SSD bootloader wouldn't even load anything, just failed to bios boot manager

I'm wondering if this is the bug
http://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/2989/

None the less, I'll stay on working version for now.

As for the comments suggesting I upgraded improperly. It's not first time I upgraded clover. I know how to upgrade it. I've updated bootloaders MANY times. clover like 3 times, chameleon, dozens.
I do backups to USB drive and have 3 backups of config and everything. It's how I so easily reverted to previous version, but only after at least troubleshooting IF I had done something wrong for about an hour first. I hadn't done something wrong though, it was just broken. But, booted up using a USB on older version just fine, copied working setup out of EFI Backup on HDD, rebooted, good to go. If you try to update to 2988, my caution to users is, something is definitely wrong with it, even if it doesn't affect everyone.

The 2989 commit looks promising though. But I'm not going to experiment with it at this time.

I am curious about what's different hardware wise from one setup to another to isolate what was broken though, the puzzle solver in me.

I agree with you. Same problem: black screen after Clover is loaded. ESP partition is FAT32 and not Mac OS extended.
I had to revert to previous version 2976.

My current interim system: Yosemite 10.10 on a MacPro 3,1 motherboard: GA-Z87MX-D3H and Velociraptor HD 300 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back