Contribute
Register

Clover/UniBeast, add to existing OS install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
CPU
Core i7-6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti
Hi,

Just started building my first Hackintosh, and have a question around the bootloader that I haven't been able to find any answers for from searching this forum/others yet. I currently have a late-2008 MacBook Pro, but Sierra is not supported for this machine, so I am unable to download the macOS Sierra installer to create the USB boot key/etc as per every guide I've been able to find--which leads me to my current quandary.

I plan on dual-booting this machine with two SSDs, one for Windows 7 and the other OSX. I have Win7 installed on one SSD already and booting fine, and for the other OSX SSD I booted my MacBook Pro into Recovery Mode and installed El Capitan that way. I can boot my laptop to the new El Capitan install with no issues, so the trick now seems to be installing the bootloader so my PC can boot from this SSD.

So, my question! Is there any way I can install Clover/other bootloaders onto an existing OSX install? I haven't run into any guides or documentation out there which covers this use case (still searching), I'm really hoping this is possible as I don't currently have a way of creating a bootable OSX flash drive. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

--

Hi,

Just started building my first Hackintosh, and have a question around the bootloader that I haven't been able to find any answers for from searching this forum/others yet. I currently have a late-2008 MacBook Pro, but Sierra is not supported for this machine, so I am unable to download the macOS Sierra installer to create the USB boot key/etc as per every guide I've been able to find--which leads me to my current quandary.

I plan on dual-booting this machine with two SSDs, one for Windows 7 and the other OSX. I have Win7 installed on one SSD already and booting fine, and for the other OSX SSD I booted my MacBook Pro into Recovery Mode and installed El Capitan that way. I can boot my laptop to the new El Capitan install with no issues, so the trick now seems to be installing the bootloader so my PC can boot from this SSD.

So, my question! Is there any way I can install Clover/other bootloaders onto an existing OSX install? I haven't run into any guides or documentation out there which covers this use case (still searching), I'm really hoping this is possible as I don't currently have a way of creating a bootable OSX flash drive. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

--
You can attach SSD to 2008 MBP, hold option key at boot and boot the El Capitan SSD for your new build. Install Clover either with Clover installer from SourceForge or with MultiBeast. Download FakeSMC and your network kext from https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/kexts.11/. and place on desktop. Use KextBeast or KextWizard to install - https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/kextbeast-2-0-1.310/ to L/E.
Shutdown and move SSD to new build and boot.

Fantastic, thank you! After posting this I did try running MultiBeast directly on the drive but can only login via safe mode currently, it's probably these kexts you listed that I am missing. About to try to get those installed, thanks again :)

--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back