Graphics
HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello

I'm currently using Clover + Catalina 10.15.7 successfully, but I wish to swap Clover for Opencore before upgrading to Big Sur.

The thing is, I've spent hours trying to do it carefully following https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/ but no luck so far.
Basically, in order to test it, I've put my OC config to an USB drive to boot from, but whatever I try I cannot see my macOS partition, only EFI partitions.

Here's what the OC picker shows when booting from USB:

IMG_20201121_191318.jpg

1. EFI: SSD EFI partition with Clover => If I pick this one, I get to the Clover menu, but if I start it, it fails, which does not surprise me.
2. EFI: If I pick this one, it shows: "OCB StartImage failed - Already started" for a few seconds, then it returns to the OC picker.
3. Install macOS Catalina: the Catalina image on the USB drive.
4. Old recovery.
5, 6. Clover options.

I would have expected to see my macOS partition like Clover shows it:

IMG_20201121_191508.jpg

Of course, I've reviewed a hundred times my BIOS options, as well as the troubleshooting section of the guide (Can't see macOS partitions).
There's obviously something I don't get ...

My OC config is as follows:

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 7.11.25 PM.png

along with my config.plist attached.
If anyboby has the slightest idea of what I'm missing, it will be very welcome.

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.5 KB · Views: 129
Thanks for your answer.
I turned all the points that were yellow into green, and changed XhciPortLimit to false since USB mapping has been done, but unfortunately still the same issue: OpenCore v0.6.3 Intel Coffee Lake Sanity Check

Attachments

• config.plist
    23.5 KB · Views: 106
Try to change HideVerbose to No, or reset NVRAM.

Following this thread. I am actually having the same problem. My Mobo is different though (Assus Strix H270f)
Maybe the answer for you will work for me. Who knows.

Did you try to perform such an installation using Clover before? Or have you tried to "Install macOS Big Sur" before booting into your system using opencore?

For such reason, my Container is completely messed up, with an Update Partition, macOS - Data, and macOS. Which might be the issue in my case. and no "Preboot" partition. Even my "Recovery" partition is missing.

Right now I will try to create a Big Sur partition from scratch using OpenCore's guide which might help me resolve the whole thing. Will keep you posted on the matter.

BTW, someone with more experience in this might help you but in your log files:

15:960 00:065 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi is missing - Not Found
16:022 00:061 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi is missing - Not Found
16:086 00:064 OCBP: Predefined <nil> \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI was found

These might give you an idea on how to fix your problem

In case someone else reach this.

I finally managed to boot into my macOS using Open Core. After certifying SMBIOS information was correct (got it from my clover config.plist), following the guides thoroughly.

What was causing my macOS partition to not show up in opencore was the fact that the partition was all messed up in deed. I removed the "Update" partition (good for nothing) using disk utility and reinstalled macOS Catalina into my main partition (weirdly using my MacOS Time Machine).

This made Recovery and macOS reappear.

In your case, it seems that open core is able to find your partitions but not being able to find the .efi files in the standard places. Maybe reinstalling Catalina could work for you. But then again, I am no expert.

Glad you make it.
As for me, opencore is not very friendly...
OC browses all the partitions to find .efi it knows about.
This is why you see \System\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi or \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi are missing in my log. This is normal to me. But \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI is found, which is good.
My macOS partition is not messed up as far as I can see.
Anyway, I tried updating to the latest nightly of OC 0.6.4, but with no better result finding my Catalina partition.

I also get this message on screen before getting to the OC picker, but not sure this is relevant:

IMG_20201124_235553.jpg

This worked for me:

1) I created a Time Machine Backup from Big Sur Installation with Clover 5126
2) I prepared a OpenCore 0.6.3 Bootstick as a Big Sur Install Media
3) Fresh install of Big Sur using the OpenCore Bootloader
4) Restore Backup from Time Machine

I spent a lot of time figuring out other solutions, but this was the only one which worked for me. Make sure, you modified the config.plist OpenCore file that it suits your Hack. Hopefully if you do that with Catalina, it works too.

I finally applied your recipe:

1. Booted on OC from USB drive.
2. Selected Install macOS Catalina, accepting to lose my Clover backups when the system asked me to.
3. Waited 20 minutes, then the machine rebooted, picked boot from USB, and I selected macOS Installer from the OC picker.
4. Rebooted again from USB with OC, and this time my partition was here :)
5. Started the system as usual. I was expecting to re-install my TM backup, but actually I lost nothing at all. Even Clover was still here on my EFI partition.
6. Replaced the Clover conf with the OC conf on my macOS partition, and rebooted to check everything was OK, which was the case, unbelievable!

The only issue I had was I could not wake up the machine once asleep. But there is a known fix for Coffee Lake proc: Coffee Lake systems failing to wake.

Special thanks to @madman1234 for your suggestion.
Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back