Contribute
Register

Clover Reset PRAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@wangbo223, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Question, if I clear the nvrm, will MacOS automatically populate new values into it upon next reboot? Or we have to manually populate the nvrm so that MacOS can boot up correctly?
Same question. Build attached:

Build:
-Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x ATX Gaming 5 (rev 1.1)(compatible with 6th and 7th gen. intel processors)
-CPU: 7th Gen. Intel Core i7 4.2GHz 7700k
-RAM: Ballistix 2x8GB DDR4
-Drive: 850 Evo SSD 500GB
-PSU: Corsair CS650M
-GPU: EVGA GeForce ATX 1050 SC Gaming 2GB
-WiFi Card: Fenvi Desktop Wireless Card 2.4/5GHz draft 802.11n 300Mbps

By the way: I discovered it's not at the boot screen where we should use it: it's within the Terminal, while MacOS is working. I also learnt more alternatives:

To clear the values:
sudo nvram -c

To display the values:
sudo nvram -p

To display the values, including the SmUUID and other IDs stored there:
sudo nvram -x -p
Will clover repopulate these on reboot? don't want to permanently delete essential files and such

Question, if I clear the nvrm, will MacOS automatically populate new values into it upon next reboot? Or we have to manually populate the nvrm so that MacOS can boot up correctly?

Hi,
Sorry for the late answer. Yes, the new (correct) values are generated on reboot without any extra step. It works like this:
- If the NVRAM data is found, it's used
- If there's no NVRAM data, it's generated by Clover and stored on the physical board (if it's compatible) or in an emulator (if it's not).

I explain this in case somebody doesn't own a real Mac and doesn't know about this: NVRAM (called by Apple PRAM) is a place on the mainboard where some settings are stored: screen brightness, speakers volume, OS location (which disk is the default one) and many other low level settings and values like those. If it gets corrupted by an update, a bad restart, a hardware error or something, the computer can make strange things. It's not usual, but it can happen. I have a Macbook and some years ago I had no sound after an update and by resetting the NVRAM I fixed it. BTW, on a real Mac it's done by holding down 4 keys while rebooting (CMD+ALT+P+R)

Hi,
Sorry for the late answer. Yes, the new (correct) values are generated on reboot without any extra step. It works like this:
- If the NVRAM data is found, it's used
- If there's no NVRAM data, it's generated by Clover and stored on the physical board (if it's compatible) or in an emulator (if it's not).

I explain this in case somebody doesn't own a real Mac and doesn't know about this: NVRAM (called by Apple PRAM) is a place on the mainboard where some settings are stored: screen brightness, speakers volume, OS location (which disk is the default one) and many other low level settings and values like those. If it gets corrupted by an update, a bad restart, a hardware error or something, the computer can make strange things. It's not usual, but it can happen. I have a Macbook and some years ago I had no sound after an update and by resetting the NVRAM I fixed it. BTW, on a real Mac it's done by holding down 4 keys while rebooting (CMD+ALT+P+R)

Thank you!

I can't seem to be able to clear the NVRAM.

Not using EmuVariable file...

Code:
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

I can't seem to be able to clear the NVRAM.

Not using EmuVariable file...

Code:
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

Hey, were you able to fix this? I am also getting this error.

Help please: everything worked fine, i just wanted to remove an error screen when loading ("computer wasn't shut down properly" classic mac message), i followed another topic instructions, i used the "press f11 on the HDD in clover boot menu", it restarded as advertised, the screen error is still there and now a lot of programs are faulty, for example Chrome has like a vertical stutter (like when you don't have the proper video driver installed on a new pc), Logic Pro just crashes, but a lot other programs work perfectly. another thing: it starts to do horizontal error lines on the screen from the first enter password screen, the apple screen 1 second before looks fine, Windows partition works perfect

Thank you very much

Hi, any idea where this nvram file is stored ? Actually I pressed F11 at clover boot which is supposed to clear the nvram and I think it did, but since I did this, I've got screen brightness at it max every time I restart ( on laptop HP i5 kabylake) So I was wondering if I could open the nvram file and set screen brightness to "middle" for example ? The thing is I can't find this file, there is nothing in my EFI partition and don't know where else to look for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back