Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Clover won't boot Legacy MBR Windows 7 on some older boards

I was wondering if Windows 7 should boot if installed bios-only "legacy" mode and install in the EFI partition?

The guide shows for BIOS-only ESP is checked. But with those bios-only settings i cannot get windows 7 mbr to boot.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html

I posted in the BIOS area about this.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/bios-uefi/175742-clover-mbr-windows-7-legacy-boot.html

Is there anyone on here that knows about mbr windows booting in clover?

My X58A is BIOS only. No UEFI and no possibility of UEFI. I have Win10 (updated from Win7) on one SSD and OS X on a HGST laptop drive. Clover is in the OS X SSD EFI partition and it boots both Windows and OS X from the Clover boot screen. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...59-x58-clover-el-capitan-separate-drives.html

What I did:
Installed Win7 on a SSD. Updated it to Win10.
Disconnected Win10 HDD
Connected HDD
Installed OS X with UniBeast Clover Legacy BIOS
Used the post install tools from http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=279 to install Clover and Customac essentials.
Mounted the EFI, edited the config.plist with Clover Configurator, added my DSDT.

So far as I can tell, everything is working fine with the exception of the USB3.0 ports of the NEC chip because there are no drivers for it.

Going Bald, thanks for the response.

You are pointing to the System Reserved partition to start windows?
Are you using a path in a custom entry in Clover config?
If so, what path?

Any idea why Clover shows a legacy icon and does not boot after selecting Windows?

I tried reinstalling clover using CloverEFI 64-bits BiosBlockIO. this made clover not load at all.
had to boot using USB drive to reinstall using the CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

I tried installing clover boot0ss in mbr on the System Reserved drive. that did not help clover boot windows 7 legacy. still no boot.

someone must know some tricks to get legacy mbr installs of windows 7 to boot using clover. :banghead:

anyone?

I tried reinstalling clover using CloverEFI 64-bits BiosBlockIO. this made clover not load at all.
had to boot using USB drive to reinstall using the CloverEFI 64-bits SATA

I tried installing clover boot0ss in mbr on the System Reserved drive. that did not help clover boot windows 7 legacy. still no boot.

someone must know some tricks to get legacy mbr installs of windows 7 to boot using clover. :banghead:

anyone?
In BIOS settings, you have choice for boot mode settings for UEFI Only, UEFI and Legacy, Legacy Only.
If you are using Legacy Boot Clover, try setting the boot mode to UEFI and Legacy or Legacy Only and post results.

Going Bald, the board is an old Intel D975XBX2 which is bios only. If the board supported uefi I would install windows as efi. Since the board is bios only I don't want to try to trick install efi because it would not boot without clover and most posts say do not install windows with another drive connected, it may screw up your other drive. I just want legacy boot to work as clover wiki says, but the wiki does not have any detailed examples of getting it to work.

Going Bald, the board is an old Intel D975XBX2 which is bios only. If the board supported uefi I would install windows as efi. Since the board is bios only I don't want to try to trick install efi because it would not boot without clover and most posts say do not install windows with another drive connected, it may screw up your other drive. I just want legacy boot to work as clover wiki says, but the wiki does not have any detailed examples of getting it to work.
OK, have you tried creating your Unibeast USB install usb with the Legacy selection? This should get you installed.
Once installed, open the UniBeast USB in Finder, copy the EFI folder there to desktop. Run the Clover installer package and install it Legacy mode - do not check the UEFI or install in ESP boxes. This puts a Clover EFI folder in your root directory. Replace the Clover folder just installed with the one on your desktop. This should get you booting from desktop, but needing some config.plist edits to get everything set.
Test your boot from HDD to make sure it is working, then open the config.plist with Clover Configurator and wave the wand to set your system definition, get a serial number, etc. Make any other changes you find necessary and save the config.plist. Reboot to test - you can always use the UniBeast USB to boot with if you mess up the config.plist. I usually make a backup copy, make a single change, save it, reboot to test and if it works OK, make a backup copy and preceed from there, repeating the procedure.

Clover won't boot Legacy MBR Windows 7 on old boards (workaround - gave up and installed EFI)

Going Bald, thanks for your help. I gave up on legacy. This old board does to work with Clover legacy boot. This board also does not want to boot clover from a usb. Tried new unibeast and made my own clover usb boot trying different settings. No boot. Also clover does not support booting a windows dvd.

After reading many posts about installing EFI windows 7 I decided those were too much work.

I moved the drive to a newer EFI system, disconnected all the drives in that system except for the drive I want to install windows on and booted the windows dvd in UEFI and installed.

After initial install the system reboots. I turned the system off. Then moved the drive back to the bios-only board and booted in clover and windows efi booted fine.

A lot of work to get it working, but it is done.

So Clover does not seem compatible with some older boards and legacy windows.
At least there are a couple ways to install EFI windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back