Contribute
Register

Clover issues with a certain type of display (and only with it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
(I had this discussed in a different section (post installation), but as the problem seems to be a bootloader vs. specific display topic, this is my desperate effort to reach a clover expert.)

Clover does not work correctly with a certain type of display, the Apple 23” Cinema Display (early 2000 something, DVI, 1920x1200).
It only effects this type of display, confirmed by testing two different ones. The same OSX installation works without problems on a different display (Dell UH2711, DVI, DP, 2560x1440).
The operating system itself boots up fine, it is just a matter of handling the display during clover menu (very low resolution), verbose boot (screen stays black) and final OSX operation (just a part of the screen displayed, sometimes with black pattern).

And - even stranger - using clover as bootloader from the Unibeast USB stick shows no problems on the ACD: Booting into the installer works just fine.
Also booting thereafter into the newly installed El Capitan is trouble free - until I do the first MultiBeast modifications (namely already selecting clover as bootloader as first and single step). Thereafter the problem also effects booting from USB into the now modified system as well as from the new system installation´s EFI directly.

Even copying the full content (including hidden files) of the UniBeast USB´s EFI partition which was able to boot the unmodified El Capitan installation to the system drive´s EFI partition shows the same effect.

And yes: I tried that also on a new, unused, fresh formatted drive without any possible leftovers from previous installations.

Just to make that clear:
Using the UH2711 in any of these stages shows no issues.
Also is it possible to boot using the UH2711 only or in combination with the ACD.
After UH2711 only boot I can disconnect it and plug in the ACD - working fine.
Booting with both shows clover menu and verbose boot on both in high resolution (mirrored) and switches to the expanded desktop with no issues.

It is no issues of the graphics card, HD5770!
- it does work without issues with the UH2711 alone as well as in combination of UH2711 and ACD
- it is contained in the HD5000.kext
- it is fully recognised and supported by the OS without any injection necessary, although injection does give more details in “about this mac”, it is just cosmetic

And of course:
- I´m through with all possible kinds of modification of the config.plist, even injecting the ACD´s EDID.
- I confirmed from a remote log in into the machine with troublesome ACD display, that all ACD parameters are correctly recognised by use of the terminal, “ioreg -l”

Why the ACD, why not even with a clover copy, that works from USB, …
What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back