i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm having issues getting my 4k display to work with Clover. After a lot of messing with SwitchResX I was able to get my display to work with El Capitan at 4k scaled to 2560x1440/60hz HDPi. The issue I'm having now is that I get a full red screen until OSX loads. The red screen will go away and I will see the apple loading bar about 3/4 way through loading but it's all the way at the bottom left corner of the screen and partially off the screen.

My issue is that I never see the actual clover screen so I can never add boot flags etc if I need to or select a different boot device. I'm connecting my monitor to my video card via DisplayPort. If I use HDMI I can see the clover screen and don't get the red screen but I'm also not able to run 4k over HDMI.

Here's my hardware:
Asus P8z77V-Pro
Intel i7 2600k
Gigabyte GTX670 2GB
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (Tried another set of memory too with same result)
Samsung 840 Pro as boot ssd

Are you booting in pure UEFI mode? Or is CSM enabled?

The problem could be that BIOS does not support resolutions above 1600x1200, and your monitor may be unable to upscale that resolution correctly and instead show the red screen.

Hi Thanks! I believe I have CSM enabled but only UEFI selected for boot drives as apposed to "UEFI and Legacy". I am at work right now but I will double check when I get home. Should I try disabling CSM all together?

You may get a black screen when you disable CSM, my short search on Google seems to indicate that you will have to update the bios on your graphics card with UEFI support.

But try disabling it first (Before flashing a newer bios on your GFX), you can always just reset the CMOS to get back your screen.

Ok. So I disabled CSM on my mobo. That removed the Red Screen but now I just get a blank screen or my monitor turns off until OSX boots. Once OSX boots my monitor turns on and everything works as usual.

So update the GFX bios?

Yeah it seems like thats the next step.

I'm not sure how much you know about UEFI and CSM, but (my understanding) is that CSM is used to emulate the BIOS functionality for equipment that is not able to talk directly with UEFI, and by disabling CSM your GFX is unable to talk to the BIOS. When you boot into OS X the driver takes over and is able to talk to the GFX (Which is why it works fine while in OS X).

I don't know if EVGA (Your profile says "FTW" so I assume it's an EVGA card?) has released the UEFI BIOS publicly, but you should be able to get one by contacting their support if not.

Yeah it seems like thats the next step.

I'm not sure how much you know about UEFI and CSM, but (my understanding) is that CSM is used to emulate the BIOS functionality for equipment that is not able to talk directly with UEFI, and by disabling CSM your GFX is unable to talk to the BIOS. When you boot into OS X the driver takes over and is able to talk to the GFX (Which is why it works fine while in OS X).

I don't know if EVGA (Your profile says "FTW" so I assume it's an EVGA card?) has released the UEFI BIOS publicly, but you should be able to get one by contacting their support if not.

All makes sense. It's actually a Gigabyte card, I need to update that spec I swapped cards a while back. I did check Gigabytes site and I do see that their recent Bios's contain a UEFI version for my card. Unfortunately the patching tool looks like it only runs on windows and right now I only have OSx on this machine. This weekend I'm going to throw Windows on another drive and try the bios flash. I'll report back. Thanks for your thoughts!

@lanopticx did you get it to work. I have GTX670 and thinking to update monitor to 4K and use DP for it.
Im still on 11.11 but wil do 10.12 soon but I never used DP before especially on Clover.
Any lack with it?

Oh I see you updated your card. Did it work on 670 or thats the upgrade reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back