Asus MAXIMUS VIII GENE
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi,

I upgraded my Hackintosh from 10.12.6 to 10.13.6 yesterday and migrated to APFS while at it. Since then, the apfs.efi driver's (taken from the 10.13.6 image) debug messages stay on the screen for 25 seconds, and then the Clover boot menu shows up. I did then apply a patch to hide those messages, but now I'm just staring at a blank screen for 25 seconds.

Some people also suggested to disable TRIM on the APFS drive, which I tried. No change, which is expected given that that is supposed to fix slow boot times, while my issue is occurring before the boot menu even shows up. My boot process itself is somewhat slow, but still manageable.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Note that I'm using a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe drive; not sure if that's relevant though. My Clover version is 4586.

Thanks,
MrMage

@MrMage, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

@BreBro thanks for the hint! Updated my profile.

you might have migrated you NVMe drive to APFS. For non Apple SSD drives the APFS driver runs into an error and times out.
that's what causes the delay. Your only chance is to migrate back to HFS.
Boot with -v option and post the screen shot of where the book experiences the delay. so we can confirm if my guess is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back