Contribute
Register

Clover HDMI audio for NVIDIA & AMD cards. Easy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first of all thanks for this topic,
But i followed the steps and copied the kext file to my efi > kext > other folder.
Still i can't see my hdmi outputs.

worked on sapphire r9 280x! thanks! Somebody knows if there is some free software to make volume controls work? :D

update. swapped out my 1080ti to 1060 6gb, no longer have hdmi output. will confirmed when I put the 1080ti back in that the gnu is the cause.

Recent versions of macOS (10.13.4 and above or so) have deleted some nvidia device IDs from com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController. This prevents some cards from working that should -- if you have upgraded and are having trouble this might get you up and running.

Fire up your copy of IORegistryExplorer and search for HDAU. Select, and look for your vendor and device IDs. Vendor-id will be <de 10 00 00> for nvidia cards, device-id will be <xx xx 00 00> -- xx xx is your device ID. Make a note of it. Mine was <ba 0f 00 00>, yours is probably not.

Open your clover config.plist in clover configurator. In the "kernel and kext patches" section, create a new entry under KextsToPatch. Use com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController as the kext name. Put DE101A0E in the "find" column, and DE10XXXX in the "replace" column, replacing XXXX with your device ID. I put DE10BA0F there.

This patches AppleHDAController on the fly, replacing one of the valid IDs with your card's ID. That was enough for me to get HDMIAudio.kext to work as well as it did in 10.12 Sierra.

Good luck!

Updated 07/3/2018. This solution works in High Sierra 10.13.6 as well as several previous versions of MacOS. I didn't create the tools I only figured out how to use them. Credit for the kext goes to andrejkw at macrumors. Your mileage may vary but this is the easiest solution I've found. I've used it for years & its worked for many others. Definitely worth a try.

1. Download package located here https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hay1m0rec93vvo/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg?dl=1
2. Mount HDMIAudio-1.0 disk image
3. Mount your EFI partition. You may need to use Clover Configurator or similar tool to do this.
3. Copy HDMIAudio.kext from the HDMIAudio disk image to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
4. Reboot. Clover may hang on the initial boot attempt, if so a restart of the computer should have you up and running.

There you have it, a simple file copy.
After the reboot I had working HDMI Audio.
*If you don't see any audio devices after reboot. Download and run AudioCloverALC command by toleda
https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC/raw/master/audio_cloverALC-130.command.zip

This may help to finish off the install.

If you're confused, there is a quick rundown in this video. *VIDEO IS OLD. COPY KEXT TO "OTHER" FOLDER!
*Don't forget to select the proper output! System Preferences/Sound/output or hold the Option key while clicking volume icon.

So now you have HDMI audio, but what about volume control? OSX doesn't support volume control of HDMI devices natively. Use one of the utilities below to enable it.
Audio Hijack
Sound Siphon

Thank you! This was one of the last things to get working. Working well!

DP Audio worked exactly one time on my system with Whatevergreen. I have not had it working since I first switched inputs on the card while the OS was running. After reboot, it was gone. Since then, I have tried adding the kext in Other and patching it with Clover according to iphillips77, but no luck. All audio works except from the 1050ti.

Recent versions of macOS (10.13.4 and above or so) have deleted some nvidia device IDs from com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController. This prevents some cards from working that should -- if you have upgraded and are having trouble this might get you up and running.

Fire up your copy of IORegistryExplorer and search for HDAU. Select, and look for your vendor and device IDs. Vendor-id will be <de 10 00 00> for nvidia cards, device-id will be <xx xx 00 00> -- xx xx is your device ID. Make a note of it. Mine was <ba 0f 00 00>, yours is probably not.

Open your clover config.plist in clover configurator. In the "kernel and kext patches" section, create a new entry under KextsToPatch. Use com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController as the kext name. Put DE101A0E in the "find" column, and DE10XXXX in the "replace" column, replacing XXXX with your device ID. I put DE10BA0F there.

This patches AppleHDAController on the fly, replacing one of the valid IDs with your card's ID. That was enough for me to get HDMIAudio.kext to work as well as it did in 10.12 Sierra.

Good luck!
@iphillips77, this is great! This is the missing piece that saved me. I kept going back and forth attempting Toleda's guide and then trying this kext fix, but couldn't get DisplayPort audio back in High Sierra after update. Thanks so much for sharing this.

works with DisplayPort in sierra with Gtx 1070
Thx for posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back