Contribute
Register

Clover HDMI audio for NVIDIA & AMD cards. Easy way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated 10/16/2016 to reflect a small installation change to regain HDMI audio functionality in Sierra . This solution will work in Sierra as well as several previous versions of MacOS. Keep in mind that I didn't create the tools I only figured out how to use them. Credit for the kext goes to andrejkw at macrumors. Your mileage may vary but this is the easiest solution I've found. It has worked for many others. Definitely worth a try.

1. Download package located here https://www.dropbox.com/s/8hay1m0rec93vvo/HDMIAudio-1.0.dmg?dl=0
2. Mount HDMIAudio-1.0 disk image
3. Mount your EFI partition. You may need to use Clover Configurator or similar tool to do this.
3. Copy HDMIAudio.kext from the HDMIAudio disk image to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
4. Reboot. (x2) Clover may hang on the initial boot attempt, if so a restart of the computer should have you up and running.

There you have it, a simple file copy.
After the reboot I had working HDMI Audio.
Hopefully this helps someone else.

If you're confused there is a quick rundown in this video.
*the video was for a previous version of MacOS. Make note of the kext folder in this updated guide!

*Don't forget to select the proper output! System Preferences/Sound/output or hold the Option key while clicking volume icon.

So now you have HDMI audio, but what about volume control? OSX doesn't support volume control of HDMI devices natively. Use one of the utilities below to enable it.
Audio Hijack
Sound Siphon

No go on my z170 system running High Sierra. :(

I'm currently running High Sierra (10.13.3) and this method did not work for me. However, I got HDMI audio to work on my EVGA GTX 750 Ti using VoodooHDA.

1. Install latest NVIDIA drivers for 10.13.3
  2. Mount EFI drive and add VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisable.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/other
  3. In Clover Configurator edit config.plist by unchecking nvda_dvr=1 (boot menu) and checking NvidiaWeb (system parameters menu)
  4. Reboot system, you will need to select the audio out-put by going to systems preferences -> Sound (menu) -> Output. My particular menu shows 4 different Digital-out HDMI options but only one worked. You will have to identify which one is the working one for your system based on trial and error
Hope this helps someone else.

Still working for me with the latest release. Make sure you're following the latest instructions & not what's shown in the video. Doesn't hurt to install your motherboard audio drivers either. I'm using OSX default graphics driver for my invidia card.

Does this works on NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 OC??

Amazing, tried so many tutorials'!!
to make it even easier, you can use http://www.cindori.org/software/kextdrop
using this you don't even have to mount efi! VERY EASY!
just drag and drop the HDMI audio kext onto the Kextdrop app, reboot and voila!
Thanks so much

I can confirm, works with gtx 760
Still works on High Sierra 10.13.3 with GTX980ti and LG31MU97 over mini display port.

Works fine but I can enable volume control. Any ideas?

I'm currently running High Sierra (10.13.3) and this method did not work for me. However, I got HDMI audio to work on my EVGA GTX 750 Ti using VoodooHDA.

1. Install latest NVIDIA drivers for 10.13.3
  2. Mount EFI drive and add VoodooHDA.kext and AppleHDADisable.kext to EFI/Clover/kexts/other
  3. In Clover Configurator edit config.plist by unchecking nvda_dvr=1 (boot menu) and checking NvidiaWeb (system parameters menu)
  4. Reboot system, you will need to select the audio out-put by going to systems preferences -> Sound (menu) -> Output. My particular menu shows 4 different Digital-out HDMI options but only one worked. You will have to identify which one is the working one for your system based on trial and error
Hope this helps someone else.

After doing several things and not working, I did steps 1 and 2 and then copied HDMIAudio.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and this worked for me.
EDIT: I also removed AppleHDA.kext from this folder.

Works fine but I can enable volume control. Any ideas?
I use an app called soundflower and SoundflowerBed from gitHub to change volume of HDMI. You open soundflower and assign HDMI volume control to it. Then in sound devices yo select soundflower as output.

Last edited:
After doing several things and not working, I did steps 1 and 2 and then copied HDMIAudio.kext to /System/Library/Extensions and this worked for me.

I use an app called soundflower and SoundflowerBed from gitHub to change volume of HDMI. You open soundflower and assign HDMI volume control to it. Then in sound devices yo select soundflower as output.

Yes i already have this. But on restart i make again assign.

GT 430 with El Capitan 10.11.6
I put the HDMIAudio.kext (1.1) in S/L/E not work audio on HDMI
I put it in Clover/kexts/other it's working.

Thanks

This is still working great for me after 10.13.4 update.
For most of you the onboard (motherboard) audio drivers will need to be re-installed after these major updates. Be sure you do that. None of my outputs including HDMI are available until the onboard drivers are installed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.57.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 5.57.39 AM.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 529
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back