Contribute
Register

Clover: Frequently Asked Questions

thank you so much!

When I boot, Clover (4630) gives me these choices:
- Boot macOS Install Prebooter from Preboot (???)
- Boot macOS Install from SSD1TB (???)
- Boot macOS from SSD1TB

After 3 seconds it defaults to choice number 2. (useless)

I would like to see these choices instead:
- Boot macOS from SSD1TB
- Boot Recovery from SSD1TB (or where ever the recovery partition lives)

And after 3 seconds, default to choice number 1.

I feel like I am missing some thing obvious. To me, Clover is opaque.
Documentation is old, does not seem oriented to Hackintosh users. I need more background.
EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist is a short text file, but it is not obvious what I should change.
Or how to change it. With clover configurator, with textedit, with Clover iteself?
Clover Configurator 5.3.1.0 seemed useful, but again not documented. What do the keyfields do?
Not intuitively obvious how to accomplish a simple task like getting useful boot options.

I tried toggling GUI/Legacy, as the video recommended, it changed nothing on the next reboot.

I have attached my diskutil_list and config.plist
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.8 KB · Views: 334
  • diskutil_list.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 192
One way to determine which drive you are booting from is to check the BIOS priority sequence. Look at the list of boot disk options and see what order they are in.

It is also possible to check easily using Clover Configurator and it tells you which drive is the booted drive (after you boot)

Q: How do you get rid of the annoying Clover boot choices for "Preboot"?
A: Mount the EFI partition; textedit /EFi/EFI/Clover/config.plist; Find the word "Hide";
Change this:
<string>Windows</string>
<string>BOOTX64.EFI</string>

to this:
<string>Windows</string>
<string>Preboot</string>
<string>BOOTX64.EFI</string>

Pay attention to tabs and text alignment; save the file; exit textedit; reboot.

Poof, that's all.

--------------

Clover seems to be the Heart of the Hackintosh.
But many new users struggle with Clover, making it do very simple things.

The documentation & wiki are honestly opaque and impenetrable.
Translation & editing might be part of that.

Interestingly, there are no books on the 'Clover Bootloader' at Amazon, and very few books on "hackintosh'.

It would serve the hackintosh community well if an English-speaking Clover veteran would adopt this documentation.

Hope I have not trodden upon any toes.

Last edited:
Why if I made a new Mojave installation and make a backup disk I see same Clover?
In legacy mode is the same Clover 4630.. And Mojave installation is broken...
Thank in advanced

So Clover is no longer to be found at Sourceforge... It's at https://github.com/CloverHackyColor instead. When I saw that I thought there'd been some kind of compromise of SourceForge, but no it does appear that the new Clover builds are on there. (I made a fool of myself panicking and messaging a few people, but turns out the caution was unnecessary) I just installed the latest one, anyway! It seems there must have been some developments in the community - where's a good place to keep abreast of developments with the Hackintosh dev community if one is not an actual dev? Or is there nowhere? Not that I'm complaining... well I say I'm not so that's gotta be good enough, OK!

Folks:
Following instructions here: How to Set Clover to Automatically Boot System Drive to edit /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to adjust default boot volume and timeout only half worked. I've set the timeout from 5 to 10 seconds but switching the default from the Rescue partition to the system volume didn't make that actually happen. After rebooting I went back to the EFI volume to double check the config.plist and my edit is there all right but being ignored. Any ideas?
Thanks,
- Scott

Back