Contribute
Register

Clover: Frequently Asked Questions

Greetings,

I've read the rules on this site, and I'm just curious on something about Clover. Just a yes or no answer really since I'm new to Hackintoshing.

It's clear that Clover works on non-Apple equipment. Does it work on genuine Apple hardware?

I couldn't make heads or tails of it, so I'd figure I'd ask the community.

Thank you.

I have a working yosemite installation using Chimera/Multibeast. The only thing that does not work is messages app. I understand that using Clover might help this problem.

I do not really want to start over with installing yosemite. Can I add Clover on top of my already working installation? Do I need to remove the Chimera boot files? What do I need to do to the boot drive? Do I get rid of the /extra folder? Will Clover supercede my Chimera bootstrap? Can I test all this with a clover usb drive first?

Thanks.

Greetings,

I've read the rules on this site, and I'm just curious on something about Clover. Just a yes or no answer really since I'm new to Hackintoshing.

It's clear that Clover works on non-Apple equipment. Does it work on genuine Apple hardware?

I couldn't make heads or tails of it, so I'd figure I'd ask the community.

Thank you.

Apple systems boot to Apple OS X with out the use of hackintosh boot loaders.

Good modding,
neil

I have a working yosemite installation using Chimera/Multibeast. The only thing that does not work is messages app. I understand that using Clover might help this problem.

I do not really want to start over with installing yosemite. Can I add Clover on top of my already working installation? Do I need to remove the Chimera boot files? What do I need to do to the boot drive? Do I get rid of the /extra folder? Will Clover supercede my Chimera bootstrap? Can I test all this with a clover usb drive first?

Thanks.

Your best bet is to build a "test drive USB Clover boot loader", search for the guide, and tryout Clover.

Again, you need to make sure that you have a recovery path such as a bootable clone before proceeding.

To answer you question, you can install Clover to an already install Chimera/Chameleon system. When you are happy, you go into the root of the system and delete the "boot" file.

Good modding,
neil

What are the benefits of Clover if my computer has only legacy BIOS?

I've been using hackintoshes for years without any issues that were too tough to solve however, I've yet to get Clover installs working properly. I either get spontaneous reboots or the network or sound fails to work. I can boot in from the USB but when I use the same Clover EFI settings on the HD the system reboots itself after a few minutes at the desktop. It's unstable.

So...is there any main reason I shouldn't just stick with Chimera/Multibeast?

What are the benefits of Clover if my computer has only legacy BIOS?

I've been using hackintoshes for years without any issues that were too tough to solve however, I've yet to get Clover installs working properly. I either get spontaneous reboots or the network or sound fails to work. I can boot in from the USB but when I use the same Clover EFI settings on the HD the system reboots itself after a few minutes at the desktop. It's unstable.

So...is there any main reason I shouldn't just stick with Chimera/Multibeast?

If you have a legacy BIOS there is no advantage to using Clover. Stick with Chimera/Chameleon.

Perhaps it's just me, but I am seldom able to load www.projectosx.com :(

It's not just you- hearsay is that much of the site's data was lost in some kind of catastrophic drive crash and they haven't been able to recover it.

It's not just you- hearsay is that much of the site's data was lost in some kind of catastrophic drive crash and they haven't been able to recover it.

That's really unfortunate. Is the community that once congregated there mustering elsewhere?

P.S., Please tell me you have this site backed up. ;-)

Back