Contribute
Register

Clover: Frequently Asked Questions

What is the last version/ revision of Clover which supported Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5?

Im using clover 4630.
Im stuck at high sierra bcoz my videocard.

Should I update clover to 5125 or is pointless?

If yes, is just go to clover configurator and click in update?
If you want to stick with High Sierra, r5125 will bring you minor benefits but huge troubles.

Should I update clover to 5125 or is pointless?
I would suggest version R5119, which has always worked the best for me on High Sierra, both on my "Mini-ITX 1" and Mini-ITX 3" (below). I run R5126 on "Mini-ITX 4," but that computer runs Catalina and it boots more slowly on 5126 than it did on 5119. Also, getting to R5126 involves learning some OpenCore stuff like "Quirks" which is not all that easy. "Mini-ITX 2" is also on Catalina, but still runs R5119, which works fine.

[Edit: Update... both "Mini-ITX 2" and "Mini-ITX 4" are now successfully running OpenCore 0.6.4 on Catalina. (I still prefer Clover R5119 if staying with Clover.)]

Last edited:
I noticed Clover didn't boot up on my Install OS X and OS X USB drives, so had a look and either the EFI partition was empty or it had the Clover EFI folder in it but the BOOTX64.efi and CLOVERX64.efi were missing. I tried a fresh install of 5148 on some of these drives and on most of the drives absolutely nothing ended up being installed in the EFI partition. I reinstalled Clover from a back up of 5146 on my main drive with the help of Linux GParted and that worked. However, when doing a fresh install of 5146 on one of my USB drives, the same two .efi files are missing and I have to drag them over manually from my 5146 back up. Why is this happening? I am using the following settings in the Clover installer under 'Customize': Clover for UEFI booting only, Install Clover in the ESP, certain UEFI drivers, and Themes. I have tried using the Standard Install option and that is the same result, both .efi files are missing. Cheers.
Edit: I tried installing Clover 5149 onto a USB stick EFI partition and the EFI partition is just empty afterwards. Tried several times.

Last edited:
Note date on post #105 above. I'm now using OpenCore version 0.8.3 on my computers Mini-ITX 1, 3, and 4 (below)... and it works on High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. IMHO OpenCore is the way to go.

I'm now using OpenCore version 0.8.3 on my computers Mini-ITX 1, 3, and 4 (below)... and it works on High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. IMHO OpenCore is the way to go.
It's really, literally the only way to go. Clover has adopted so much from OpenCore that it wouldn't work for Monterey or Ventura if it didn't have so many features that OpenCore pioneered in the last year or so. Makes sense to go with OC for use with recent hardware and even some older systems running HS or newer macOS.

Note date on post #105 above. I'm now using OpenCore version 0.8.3 on my computers Mini-ITX 1, 3, and 4 (below)... and it works on High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur. IMHO OpenCore is the way to go.
yeah I saw it was 2 years dead, I figured it would be neater if I posted here rather than create a new thread. I tried configuring OC but gave up half way it was too confusing for me, particularly creating custom SSDT files or whatever they are called so I just skipped it and I got a menu but it wouldn't boot. I couldn't get the Quirks to work in Clover for Big Sur or Monterey so I gave up and stuck with Clover/Catalina. But the Clover installer doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I should really leave Clover alone and just update the kexts only as I am using old HW and the same old OS so I don't need the latest version of Clover. I just hope when my machine dies in 4 years there is more noob friendly documentation and posts about OC, or I will have to build the exact same spec as someone else who has posted their config file. I don't have the time to learn OC tbh, I am sure I could if I put my mind to it, but I have so many projects I need to work on that I couldn't justify it until the time when I needed to build a new computer.

Last edited:
yeah I saw it was 2 years dead, I figured it would be neater if I posted here rather than create a new thread. I tried configuring OC but gave up half way it was too confusing for me, and I couldn't get the Quirks to work in Clover for Big Sur or Monterey so I gave up and stuck with Clover/Catalina. But the Clover installer doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I just hope when my machine dies in 4 years there is more noob friendly documentation and posts about OC, or I will have to build the exact same spec as someone else who has posted their config file.
My "Mini-ITX 3"computer (listed below) is a Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI running High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6 and has an Nvidia graphics card, so it's not going to be upgraded to a later MacOS. But I've attached my OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI folder (less Generic Platform data, USBPorts.kext and the nVidia boot argument). I also changed its SMBIOS from my "iMac18,3" to your "iMac19,1" since you would need that for later versions of MacOS. You can look at it and see if it might be useful to you as a reference. OpenCore works across many Mac OS versions, and this is the latest released one.

[Edit: Note that I just replaced my EFI file upload in the last few minutes... I had forgotten to delete my Generic Platform data. Use this one!]

Attachments

• 0.8.3 Coffeelake EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
My "Mini-ITX 3"computer (listed below) is a Gigabyte Z370N-WIFI running High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6 and has an Nvidia graphics card, so it's not going to be upgraded to a later MacOS. But I've attached my OpenCore 0.8.3 EFI folder (less Generic Platform data, USBPorts.kext and the nVidia boot argument). I also changed its SMBIOS from my "iMac18,3" to your "iMac19,1" since you would need that for later versions of MacOS. You can look at it and see if it might be useful to you as a reference. OpenCore works across many Mac OS versions, and this is the latest released one.

[Edit: Note that I just replaced my EFI file upload in the last few minutes... I had forgotten to delete my Generic Platform data. Use this one!]
Thanks very much! I will have a look at it. Someone did this for me before when I was complaining about OC lol, I tried the file out and it didn't work, it needed some tweaking, perhaps it was you? :) Cheers.

Back