Register

Clover/ElCapitan and older hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi
I have a GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD4 P55, and my graphics card is just as ancient (~6 years) - it's an EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR 9800GTX. I'm finally planning on using the guide to update from a Snow Leopard (!) hackintosh, and I have a few questions re: the El Capitan/Clover guide (apologies for how dumb/n00by they are) :

1. I'm thinking I should use the Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy Configuration package for my P55 board - but the guide also says "Legacy Boot Mode - Root (Clover_v2.3k_r3320_Legacy_Root.pkg) is for older systems that cannot boot from EFI partition." Since my old MB predates EFI by quite a while, is there any chance I should use the root package?

2. Are there any other Clover settings I should be looking at with such old hardware? (in particular, the system - I'm planning to choose Mac Pro 3,1)

3. Is the CustoMac Essentials package compatible such an old board? If I so, again are there any FakeSMC/Ethernet options I should be looking at?

Thanks for helping an idiot like me out - it's good karma.
brian

Motherboard
AIO Acer Aspire C22-865
CPU
Intel i3 8130U
Graphics
UHD Graphics 620
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi
1. I'm thinking I should use the Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy Configuration package for my P55 board - but the guide also says "Legacy Boot Mode - Root (Clover_v2.3k_r3320_Legacy_Root.pkg) is for older systems that cannot boot from EFI partition." Since my old MB predates EFI by quite a while, is there any chance I should use the root package?

Hi all,
If someone has the info on what exactly Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy-root does and what is the exact difference between this one and other legacy .pkg I would appreciate it.

Current build: Acer Aspire 7720G - T7500 - Geforce 9500M GS

Motherboard
GA-H87N-WIFI
CPU
i7-4790S
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The regular legacy package installs config files and stuff to the EFI partition of your system drive. (Every GPT drive has an EFI partition; it is created when you partition the drive as GPT.)

The legacy-root package installs config files and stuff to the /EFI directory of your main system partition, instead of using the EFI partition.

Some old boards (I forget which) cannot read stuff from the EFI partition and require the legacy-root package. If you partition a drive MBR, then you don't have an EFI partition, and you have to use legacy-root also.

In any of these cases you would still be booting Legacy and not UEFI -- just putting files on the EFI partition does not mean you're booting in UEFI mode.

Motherboard
AIO Acer Aspire C22-865
CPU
Intel i3 8130U
Graphics
UHD Graphics 620
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks, ammulder.
So I understand that Legacy-root is only for MBR partitioned drives and Legacy is for GPT, is that correct?

Current build: Acer Aspire 7720G - Legacy BIOS - Clover

Motherboard
AIO Acer Aspire C22-865
CPU
Intel i3 8130U
Graphics
UHD Graphics 620
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Generally speaking, yes, though it's possible some really old systems (like older than 5-series) would require Legacy-Root even if formatted GPT.
Well, I am looking for a solution for an issue which I described in this thread. The system starts from GPT if only I set EFI partition as active via fdisk. But this method breaks Windows boot for some reason. So I have to boot from MBR formatted USB drive. I am curious if Legacy-Root package would solve this problem.

Current build: Acer Aspire 7720G - Legacy BIOS - Clover

Motherboard
GA-P55-USB3
CPU
Core i5 760
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I believe your steps should be very similar to this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...5-usb3-usb-support-installer.html#post1120197

That was a good starting point for me with GA-P55-USB3, which is a similar class of motherboard. El Cap install was painless, am just troubleshooting a few post-install problems at the moment (CMOS reset issues, sleep still has the fans running, pretty sure C and P states are not generated).

Motherboard
Z77x UP5 TH
CPU
i7 3770K 3.5Ghz
Graphics
geForce GTX 660 Ti
wondering if you ever got this running? I can't even run the boot stick (Im actually using a memory card). I get the "No HPETS available" and can't find any way to fix it.

One thing that's interesting is that an Apple keyboard works but a Macally doesnt in clover.

Motherboard
HP Probook 4530s
CPU
i3-2350M
Graphics
HD 3000
I believe your steps should be very similar to this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...5-usb3-usb-support-installer.html#post1120197

That was a good starting point for me with GA-P55-USB3, which is a similar class of motherboard. El Cap install was painless, am just troubleshooting a few post-install problems at the moment (CMOS reset issues, sleep still has the fans running, pretty sure C and P states are not generated).

I'm also interested in running El Cap on my Ga-p55m-ud4. How did you end up fixing the post-install problems mentioned above?

Motherboard
GA-P55-USB3
CPU
Core i5 760
Graphics
ATI 5770
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
P and C state generation was some Clover flags, although I'm suspicious of how this stuff interacts with my overclock.

RTC patch seemingly fixed the CMOS reset.

Sleep/wake is dysfunctional. It takes a long time to sleep, and wake is actually a cold restart. Unsolved. I've tried numerous likely looking Clover flags. I might have to learn to live without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.