Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,
I got a Sony Vaio Laptop where I installed High Sierra in the internal HDD and everything is working.
In this same laptop, I've removed the internal DVD and installed a caddy with a HDD, in this HDD I've installed Windows 10 and everything works perfect too.

If I unplug the High Sierra HD, Windows boots regularly via EFI.
If I leave both HDD plugged, Clover boots and shows only options to boot High Sierra (no Windows options).
But if I use the USB drive I used to boot installation disk for High Sierra, Windows boot options are shown in Clover and I can boot into Windows 10. Note the config.plist is exact same in the USB Drive and on HDD with Clover.... the only difference is via USB drive, boot occurs via... USB :)

Anyone has had this behavior? Any tip for booting Windows via Clover booted from HDD? I've followed several guides of copying "Microsoft" folder to ./EFI/ but this leads to only booting Windows (actually boot fails).

Oh, my BIOS does not have any option for adding boot entries.

Moved to Laptop Support.

Hello,
I got a Sony Vaio Laptop where I installed High Sierra in the internal HDD and everything is working.
In this same laptop, I've removed the internal DVD and installed a caddy with a HDD, in this HDD I've installed Windows 10 and everything works perfect too.

If I unplug the High Sierra HD, Windows boots regularly via EFI.
If I leave both HDD plugged, Clover boots and shows only options to boot High Sierra (no Windows options).
But if I use the USB drive I used to boot installation disk for High Sierra, Windows boot options are shown in Clover and I can boot into Windows 10. Note the config.plist is exact same in the USB Drive and on HDD with Clover.... the only difference is via USB drive, boot occurs via... USB :)

Anyone has had this behavior? Any tip for booting Windows via Clover booted from HDD? I've followed several guides of copying "Microsoft" folder to ./EFI/ but this leads to only booting Windows (actually boot fails).

Oh, my BIOS does not have any option for adding boot entries.

Compare your config.plist settings for each case (working/not working).
Keep in mind entries shown by Clover are controlled by config.plist/GUI settings.

The config.plist are the same in both disks (USB and HDD); The Kexts are the same, and UEFI Drivers 64bit are the same.

The workaround I found is: When I wanna boot "Windows 10", I go into Sony's EFI menu (that one where I enter powering on via "assist" button and I can select "boot usb device", "enter BIOS", "recover Windows", etc...) then I choose "Recover Windows"... that option starts CLOVER but this time with "Windows" boot option appearing and working. But if I don't power laptop via "assist button" and choose "Recover Windows", then Clover never shows "Windows" boot option.

The ideal would always show Windows boot option.

The config.plist are the same in both disks (USB and HDD); The Kexts are the same, and UEFI Drivers 64bit are the same.

The workaround I found is: When I wanna boot "Windows 10", I go into Sony's EFI menu (that one where I enter powering on via "assist" button and I can select "boot usb device", "enter BIOS", "recover Windows", etc...) then I choose "Recover Windows"... that option starts CLOVER but this time with "Windows" boot option appearing and working. But if I don't power laptop via "assist button" and choose "Recover Windows", then Clover never shows "Windows" boot option.

The ideal would always show Windows boot option.

Sounds like maybe you mistakenly enabled "fast boot" in BIOS.

Actually this BIOS don't have many options... even "fast boot" is missing. Basically what they provide as options are only TPM, boot method(EFI or legacy), boot order and something like "enable virtual blablabla..."

Maybe I could find "fast boot" address and try to change via "setup_var" in EFI Shell, but I think I am not manful enought.

Actually this BIOS don't have many options... even "fast boot" is missing. Basically what they provide as options are only TPM, boot method(EFI or legacy), boot order and something like "enable virtual blablabla..."

Maybe I could find "fast boot" address and try to change via "setup_var" in EFI Shell, but I think I am not manful enought.

Why is Windows not installed UEFI?

Windows is installed as EFI... What I meant is in order to try "fast boot" (that is not available in my BIOS) I could try to change the fast boot value in the same way DVMT Prealloc method changes the video min size...

Windows is installed as EFI... What I meant is in order to try "fast boot" (that is not available in my BIOS) I could try to change the fast boot value in the same way DVMT Prealloc method changes the video min size...

If you installed Windows UEFI and have EFI/CLOVER and EFI/Microsoft on the same EFI partition, I see no reason why Clover won't detect your Windows bootmgfw.efi in EFI/Microsoft/Boot.

Oh I see...
Well I don't have "EFI/Microsoft/Boot" in the same disk as Clover 'cause if I put it there Clover does not run and Windows always run instantly and gives me no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back