Graphics
RTX 2070 Super
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

I made my hackintosh back in 2017 (I believe), but stopped using it due to lack of support since my GPU gave out and I replaced it with an RTX 2070 Super. I installed OS X Sierra (can't remember which version, likely 10.12.3) on one SSD and Windows 10 to another SSD, with two other HDDs for files.
I tried to update directly to High Sierra 10.13.6 using this guide, I downloaded the installer using gibMacOS, updated clover to 2.5k rev 5070, added the apfs.efi from the guide and ran the installer. A few min later, it asked to reboot, and so I did. However, while rebooting, my Mac SSD vanished from Clover. I can only see my Windows 10 SSD. It never finished installing. I tried adding HFSplus.efi, replacing the apfs.efi with the 10.13.6 from this thread and nothing worked. I checked my BIOS, and the Mac drive is missing there as well.

My biggest issue is that I have limited to no access to any Mac at the moment since my MacBook Pro died last month. I need to access my files from the MBP and since Sierra doesn't recognize APFS drives, I couldn't plug the MBP SSD to the Hackintosh and access it, which prompted me to try to update the Hack and end up with no Mac at all.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.2 KB · Views: 33
I get that I own an unsupported gpu on Mac, I even said that the reason my Hackintosh wasn't updated or used for a while was the lack of support.
But that makes no sense in Clover, since the UI and my other SSD loads and show up normally. It's like my Mac SSD is unplugged, which it isn't because I can access the EFI on it through Windows. If it was a GPU based issue on Clover, logic says it wouldn't show anything at all. Or am I wrong?

Or am I wrong?

The graphics card can operate in VESA mode which is limited and provides unaccelerated graphics.
It has no support in the operating system due to the lack of drivers.
Your best bet is to remove the graphics card and use your processor's integrated HD Graphics 630.

The graphics card can operate in VESA mode which is limited and provides unaccelerated graphics.
It has no support in the operating system due to the lack of drivers.
And how does that make my Mac SSD vanish from Clover, leaving everything else, icons, text, UI, Windows SSD and Windows EFI exactly as it should?
VESA mode is good enough to do what I need it to do right now, I don't need perfect graphics now.

Try pressing F3 at the Clover menu screen.

Already did. It only shows the two hidden partitions from the Windows SSD. Mac SSD still doesn't show up.

I checked my BIOS, and the Mac drive is missing there as well.

My apologies, I expressed myself poorly. The BIOS can't see the Mac partition and another one on the same SSD, but the drive itself shows up and boots into the EFI partition with Clover.

I can access the EFI on it through Windows.

MiniTool Partition Wizard on Windows shows all disks and all partitions, it allows me to mount the Mac SSD's EFI and access Clover through Windows. That's how I got the config file I attached on my first post and that's how I added the apfs.efi to the \EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI folder, with no success.

Well, I managed to solve it. Somewhat. Restoring an older EFI backup made the Mac partition appear again, but any attempt to update Clover, doesn’t matter which version, made the issue come back. Even though my Clover backup is an older one, I managed to install High Sierra and it boots exactly as expected. It did what I needed to do right now and now I can work on the GPU issue (probably buy an used 1060 or rx and swap back my 2070 to my main PC).
I also made a Catalina USB install drive, just out of curiosity (and maybe for a future install), and if I boot from Clover in the USB drive, everything appears as it should, so it’s definitely something wrong on my Clover installation.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back