Contribute
Register

Clover crashing on 'scanning entries' because of software RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Just went through the long process of getting Clover and 10.11.3 to play nice only to find out my two internal 16TB Apple RAIDS are now hanging clover.

My board is Asus Sabertooth X58 and a OWC PCIe SSD boot drive.

After adding this to my config.plist, its still hanging at the "scanning entries" process which I assume is because its in "legacy mode."

I really don't want to go back to Chameleon but what choice do I have?

Any advice?

Can I manually power on the RAID at the clover prompt or does drive detection need to happen at BIOS?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I don't know about legacy mode or why it's still hanging. Can you not run it in legacy mode? I'm pretty sure you can't power on the RAID later.

:clap::clap::clap: Yes! Awesome! This worked. Thanks benjackson for the work and also ivorhoulker for your good summary.

The wierd thing for me was that i haven't made any changes to my system in quite some time, and then very suddenly just today this happened. Anyone know the reason why it would matter now? Does this mean my raid is failing?

Anyway for now I will enjoy this fix and hurry to backup my raid (i know, i know I should have had that before...)

:clap::clap::clap: Yes! Awesome! This worked. Thanks benjackson for the work and also ivorhoulker for your good summary.

The wierd thing for me was that i haven't made any changes to my system in quite some time, and then very suddenly just today this happened. Anyone know the reason why it would matter now? Does this mean my raid is failing?

Anyway for now I will enjoy this fix and hurry to backup my raid (i know, i know I should have had that before...)

Yes I suspect the issue has to do with RAIDs that aren't behaving themselves and cause Clover to get pissy.

Probably a good idea to copy data off and reformat or replace the drives if you're having this issue.

Hello,

I had the same problem, OSX 10.11.4, and a minute ago installed latest Clover and i can see my 6TB Raid 0 array.
I'm booting with other drive, so this solves my Raid problem.
Now to figure out how to set boot flags properly to boot with NVidia Gtx 970.
If you have some idea how to fix this please advise.
tnx

Hello,

I had the same problem, OSX 10.11.4, and a minute ago installed latest Clover and i can see my 6TB Raid 0 array.
I'm booting with other drive, so this solves my Raid problem.
Now to figure out how to set boot flags properly to boot with NVidia Gtx 970.
If you have some idea how to fix this please advise.
tnx

I don't off the top of my head, probably need to ask in a new thread or do a search.

Can you not run it in legacy mode? I'm pretty sure you can't power on the RAID later.

When you refer to legacy mode, are you talking about Legacy vs EFI during Unibeast setup?

I could have wrote this same post. Spent a lot of time finally getting 10.11 up and running only to find out my software raid causes it to hang on boot now.

I'm just trying to be clear on what I need to do different. I did use Legacy mode in Unibeast because it seemed no matter what I tried EFI mode wouldn't boot on my computer.

Any clarification is appreciated.

When you refer to legacy mode, are you talking about Legacy vs EFI during Unibeast setup?

I could have wrote this same post. Spent a lot of time finally getting 10.11 up and running only to find out my software raid causes it to hang on boot now.

I'm just trying to be clear on what I need to do different. I did use Legacy mode in Unibeast because it seemed no matter what I tried EFI mode wouldn't boot on my computer.

Any clarification is appreciated.

Don't use legacy mode. I don't think you'll get it working. Unplug your RAID while you get EFI mode setup, just have the boot drive plugged in. Make sure it's working flawlessly. THEN focus on the RAID issue and turning scanning entries off etc. It's fiddly. It'll take days.

Thanks for the extra info. I'm still running 10.10 but keep playing around with setting up 10.11 on a different SSD. It's so close now except for the raid issue.

Thanks for the extra info. I'm still running 10.10 but keep playing around with setting up 10.11 on a different SSD. It's so close now except for the raid issue.

Haha you probably should just wait for Sierra now :)

Hey there. I just wanted to chime in and say thanks so much for your solid advice. I was installing El Capitain on a system with a 12 TB software RAID (also a filmmaker) and had the exact issue. Your advice solved it and saved the day. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back