Contribute
Register

Clover Configurator messing up config.plist ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte P55M-UD2
CPU
i7
Graphics
GT 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently did a fresh install of Sierra on a “classic” GA EP45 DS3 motherboard with Core2 duo and nV 460 graphic card. Everything went picture perfect with Unibeast 7.1.1. and Multibeast 9.2.1, legacy clover installation (no UEFI!) and the box was running in no time. Getting graphics, ethernet and audio going, reboot, done.

Big applause to the tonymacx86 team!!!!

By the very end I felt like: Get rid of the clover boot screen and have the box go to Sierra without the boot countdown, grabbed the latest vibrant edition of Clover Configurator (4.60.2) and cut the count down delay to 0. Had done this with all my El Capitan installations on multiple systems before, easy. Reboot, Sierra boots promptly , but about a minute or two running, mouse freezes, followed by shutdown and reboot. Getting a little irritated, what did I mess up????

I recovered the EFI content from backup I had made, got back to working condition and inspected the CONTENT of the config.plist before and AFTER touching it with Clover Configurator and I can SEE a bunch of entries look different, but I am not an expert READING the syntax in detail.

As an experiment I simply made the change of the DELAY statement with text editor and voila, all working again, system running, all good! Time to relax!

So the question simply is: Is the way Multibeast 9.2.1. CREATES the config.plist incompatible with Clover Configurator latest version? Or is the Clover version INCLUDED in Multibeast 9.2.1. non compatible with Clover Configurator?

In fact I updated Clover to the latest and greatest and the “touch plist mess up” syndrome was the same.

In a different forum I found a tip to use the Cloud Clover Editor (CCE) and in fact loading the config.plist with that service prompted me with “depreciated statements, incompatible with later Clover boot loader versions..", suggested replacements. I had it do it´s thing, download the result, and guess what: Works flawlessly! That at least indicates to me that Multibeast 9.2.1. uses some syntax elements, which are no longer recommended.

Anybody out there who stumbled over similar troubles?

I recently did a fresh install of Sierra on a “classic” GA EP45 DS3 motherboard with Core2 duo and nV 460 graphic card. Everything went picture perfect with Unibeast 7.1.1. and Multibeast 9.2.1, legacy clover installation (no UEFI!) and the box was running in no time. Getting graphics, ethernet and audio going, reboot, done.

Big applause to the tonymacx86 team!!!!

By the very end I felt like: Get rid of the clover boot screen and have the box go to Sierra without the boot countdown, grabbed the latest vibrant edition of Clover Configurator (4.60.2) and cut the count down delay to 0. Had done this with all my El Capitan installations on multiple systems before, easy. Reboot, Sierra boots promptly , but about a minute or two running, mouse freezes, followed by shutdown and reboot. Getting a little irritated, what did I mess up????

I recovered the EFI content from backup I had made, got back to working condition and inspected the CONTENT of the config.plist before and AFTER touching it with Clover Configurator and I can SEE a bunch of entries look different, but I am not an expert READING the syntax in detail.

As an experiment I simply made the change of the DELAY statement with text editor and voila, all working again, system running, all good! Time to relax!

So the question simply is: Is the way Multibeast 9.2.1. CREATES the config.plist incompatible with Clover Configurator latest version? Or is the Clover version INCLUDED in Multibeast 9.2.1. non compatible with Clover Configurator?

In fact I updated Clover to the latest and greatest and the “touch plist mess up” syndrome was the same.

In a different forum I found a tip to use the Cloud Clover Editor (CCE) and in fact loading the config.plist with that service prompted me with “depreciated statements, incompatible with later Clover boot loader versions..", suggested replacements. I had it do it´s thing, download the result, and guess what: Works flawlessly! That at least indicates to me that Multibeast 9.2.1. uses some syntax elements, which are no longer recommended.

Anybody out there who stumbled over similar troubles?

I had a similar problem. I'm on Sierra. When I used Clover Configurator on my computer ( I have to change the frame buffer to get 3 monitors working) it would freeze and restart after saving the new config. I'm trying to use CCE, I open the config on my EFI partition, when I change the frame buffer I can see it saving but when I restart no changes are made. How do you save the changes to the config.plist. I'm kinda of "newbie" so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

UPDATE:
I did a fresh install to Sierra. That went smooth. I figured out how to save and download the edited config.plist using CCE. Copy pasted it and it's working. Got my 3 monitors. Only thing now is no USB3. Others with the same board in another forum (here) are experiencing the same with USB3. If I don't disable it in the bios, it won't boot. Hopefully there is a fix in the future for this.
My experience with Clover Configurator was the same as yours. Maybe Clover Configurator is only good for UEFI boards. Thanks for sharing this.:)

Last edited:
Hey, I am really terribly sorry, but after a while watching my initial threat with no comments coming in I dropped the ball on it! A few comments: Clover Configurator indeed makes changes directly to the config file, so you may save the file to a different name and place, but the default is that you edit and it sticks (no save required)
The CCE is a different beast, essentially it is a cloud service, so you practically upload the file, edit and download again.
Be it as it may: Your USB3 topic is a different matter, I am not an expert here, but enumeration of USB ports and limits is a bit of an art, there good guides in the forum, but if you don't get past booting I don't really know.

Hey, I am really terribly sorry, but after a while watching my initial threat with no comments coming in I dropped the ball on it! A few comments: Clover Configurator indeed makes changes directly to the config file, so you may save the file to a different name and place, but the default is that you edit and it sticks (no save required)
The CCE is a different beast, essentially it is a cloud service, so you practically upload the file, edit and download again.
Be it as it may: Your USB3 topic is a different matter, I am not an expert here, but enumeration of USB ports and limits is a bit of an art, there good guides in the forum, but if you don't get past booting I don't really know.
you are better off using xcode or PlistEditPro to edit your config.plist

Clover Configurator is known to ruin config.plist's

Thanks for the confirmation!!!!! Indeed I loaded Xcode to study the changes Clover Configurator had introduced. I did identify differences, yet learning all the syntax was "beyond" me, so once my box was working I felt like: Good enough for me, don't touch a working system.
But again: I am glad to hear the confirmation that CC CAN screw you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back