Contribute
Register

Clover bootloader screen resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm using Legacy Boot, and this thread doesn't help me. Does someone know something about this with Legacy BIOS Boot? My Mobo doesn't have UEFI.

I am using Sierra 10.12.1 and 30" Apple cinema display (2560x1600) connected with display port.
No graphics card.
None of all these did worked for me.
Minor, but very annoying.
Any help?

I am using Sierra 10.12.1 and 30" Apple cinema display (2560x1600) connected with display port.
No graphics card.
None of all these did worked for me.
Minor, but very annoying.
Any help?

Does your BIOS show up on the monitor before the Mac OS boots?

Few options:
1) Get a graphics card and ignore onboard graphics.
2) Maybe the EFI or Mac OS is trying to use an unsupported resolution? The 30" Apple Cinema Display only allows 2560x1600 or 1280x800. Try a different monitor for testing that supports more resolutions.
3) Maybe there's something wrong with the DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link adapter. Try a monitor that connects directly to the DisplayPort. Or use a single link HDMI to DVI adapter which would make the Apple Cinema Display only work at 1280x800.
4) Maybe the Mac OS doesn't like the DisplayPort port. Try connecting a monitor to the HDMI port. If your computer supports onboard graphics through the USB-C port, then get an adapter for that (I don't think the Ultra Gaming allows onboard graphics through the USB-C port?). If the HDMI port works with a different monitor, then maybe it could work with the Cinema Display, but you would need to get an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter to connect to the DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapter.
5) Test your setup in Linux or Windows first.

Thanks 4 your reply.
Yes, bios is showed before mac os.
1. Not interest yet
2. I do not have a second monitor. I want to keep my monitor anyway.
3+4. My Apple cinema works as expected at full resolution, the problem is only at boot. No need to look for adaptors, hdmi, etc.
5. Not interesting.
I am a mac user, not care about windows.
I made this hackintosh cos i could not find a proper mac (price is a issue)

My setup is almost full working. Only boot. Minor issue for me.

I just wondering if there is a way to fix the clover not booting at full resolution.

Thank you anyway for your time.

Thanks 4 your reply.
Yes, bios is showed before mac os.
1. Not interest yet
2. I do not have a second monitor. I want to keep my monitor anyway.
3+4. My Apple cinema works as expected at full resolution, the problem is only at boot. No need to look for adaptors, hdmi, etc.
5. Not interesting.
I am a mac user, not care about windows.
I made this hackintosh cos i could not find a proper mac (price is a issue)

My setup is almost full working. Only boot. Minor issue for me.

I just wondering if there is a way to fix the clover not booting at full resolution.

Thank you anyway for your time.

If BIOS screen works, then Clover should appear with the same resolution of BIOS at least. Is that correct? Is it appearing as 1280 x 800? There are 4 parts to the boot process. What part isn't working? What resolution do you see?

1) BIOS - [EFI] 1280 x 800?
2) Clover - [EFI] 1280 x 800?
3) Mac boot (verbose mode or Apple logo) - [EFI] 1280 x 800?
4) Mac OS (log in / Finder) - [Mac OS] 2560 x 1600?

I think the solution for this is to change the EDID that EFI sees so that 2560x1600 is the default resolution (or remove the 1280x800 resolution from the EDID). A hardware device like the "DVI Parrot" can change the EDID but they are expensive.

A better solution is to do something in EFI that can modify the EDID. I don't know of a way to do that. Maybe Clover can add a driver or something. The following mention an EDID Override protocol:
http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/2_-_AMD_UEFI_Plugfest_EDID_Spring2012.pdf
https://www.virtualbox.org/svn/vbox...rmware/MdePkg/Include/Protocol/EdidOverride.h

Everything as you describe.
I was trying to have full resolution 2560x1600 from the beginning.
Bios, clover, apple logo, or at least from clover.
I did everything mentioned in this thread. No luck.

I will try your solution, but my knowledge is very limited.

Everything as you describe.
I was trying to have full resolution 2560x1600 from the beginning.
Bios, clover, apple logo, or at least from clover.
I did everything mentioned in this thread. No luck.

I will try your solution, but my knowledge is very limited.

Ideally, the EFI on a motherboard should have an EDID override capability, possibly using a variable stored in NVRAM.

I would first try searching a BIOS update file to see if it includes the EFI_EDID_OVERRIDE_PROTOCOL_GUID anywhere. That might at least indicate that it gets used somewhere. I looked at my BIOS update file "Z170XG7.F8" using EFITool.app and searched for the EFI_EDID_OVERRIDE_PROTOCOL_GUID 48ecb431fb7245c0a922f458fe040bd5 which was found in the CsmVideo driver.

To test if that driver is used by onboard graphics, pipe output from the "drivers" command to a "drivers.txt" file on the EFI partition using EFI Shell. The CsmVideo driver will have GUID 29CF55F8-B675-4F5D-8F2F-B87A3ECFD063 in the drivers output.

If that driver is used by onboard graphics, then there's a chance that adding a EFI_EDID_OVERRIDE_PROTOCOL driver in the Clover folder would work. If not, then adding a driver to the BIOS itself could work (but that's more dangerous).

I made the following changes in the BIOS:

Windows 8 Features - Windows 8,
CSM Support - Never (appears after changing to Windows 8),
And further down Secure boot - disable.

Effect is equally visible, Clover boots in native 4K resolution. Mac OSX starts as usual. Windows 10 in UEFI as well.
In Clover GUI the icons are very small. The resolutions 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 were not found. But at least the picture is no longer distorted.

For my Gaming 7 motherboard, Nvidia graphics card, and Dell 5K monitor, I finally got around to actually following the instructions in this thread by setting these options:
- Windows 8/10 Features: Windows 8/10 WHQL
- CSM Support: Disabled (this doesn't appear unless Windows 8/10 Features is set to one of the Windows options instead of Other OS)
Now my Dell monitor connected to Nvidia using mDP boots into Clover at 4K instead of 1600x1200. The Intel Graphics always booted this monitor into 4K.

It doesn't affect the BIOS screens (version F20), and it doesn't affect the EFI Shell (max console lines is still 60).
It affects Clover and Mac OS verbose and non-verbose boot. I think it affects the Clover debug text for kernel patches, etc. (after you choose to boot a Mac OS).

For the Apple 30" Cinema Display connected to either Intel Graphics or the Nvidia, it still booted into 1280x800 instead of 2560x1600. So in this case another solution is required (maybe the EDID override protocol idea).

The Dell in 5K mode (dual DP) still boots at 1600x1200 into Clover and Mac OS verbose and non-verbose boot. The system crashes as usual when MacOS completes booting (I'm still using El Capitan, haven't tried Sierra). 5K works when it's not connected at startup.

Now I can get full resolution on my 4k Display on clover boot screen by enabling WIN8/10 WHQL, but when Im trying to use 1080p, it won't works, it still show me 4k resolution and boot log said 1920*1080 not found auto set to max resolution which is 4k, but I did want 1080p, because under 4k apple logo is too small. anyone have any idea about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back