2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good morning!

I've been playing with Clover to upgrade my Hackintosh from Chameleon/Mavericks to Yosemite with working iMessage, etc. I've been installing to a spare SSD to get comfortable with the process and experiment with the right boot loader settings and kexts,etc.

In doing so, I've run into a situation I can't figure out. When I've reformatted the SSD and some a new Yosemite install, the OS installs fine and I can boot into it with my USB key. But when I try to install the Clover bootloader to the SSD, the EFI partition doesn't mount at the end. Instead, the installer has put the EFI folder on the root of my Yosemite partition.

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix this?

Hardware: Gigabyte GA-77X-UP5 TH mobo, 3770K processor, GeForce 650 Ti graphics

USB key with installer is a Kingston USB3 stick, booting from a USB3 port in case it matters...booting with UEFI, not legacy (and it boots fine).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Check the formatting of the USB drive. Is it GUID or is it MBR?
Can you hit the hot key for your board to select a boot device and see 2 versions of the USB key - one USB and one UEFI USB? Will it boot if you select the UEFI USB version to boot?

Good morning!

I've been playing with Clover to upgrade my Hackintosh from Chameleon/Mavericks to Yosemite with working iMessage, etc. I've been installing to a spare SSD to get comfortable with the process and experiment with the right boot loader settings and kexts,etc.

In doing so, I've run into a situation I can't figure out. When I've reformatted the SSD and some a new Yosemite install, the OS installs fine and I can boot into it with my USB key. But when I try to install the Clover bootloader to the SSD, the EFI partition doesn't mount at the end. Instead, the installer has put the EFI folder on the root of my Yosemite partition.
If you are trying to install CloverUEFI, then use these choices in the installer:

clover1.png clover2.png

Check the formatting of the USB drive. Is it GUID or is it MBR?
Can you hit the hot key for your board to select a boot device and see 2 versions of the USB key - one USB and one UEFI USB? Will it boot if you select the UEFI USB version to boot?

USB version of boot loader is GUID, and I've been successfully booting it from UEFI - the only option that appears. The boot loader from USB isn't the issue...the issue is that I can't get Clover installer to install the boot loader to the EFI partition of my SSD after installing Yosemite and rebooting from USB boot loader and new full Yosemite install.

What version of Clover? Clover does not make decisions, it doesn't THINK oh well I can't write to the EFI partition so I'll just put the EFI folder where ever...

You might try running "diskutil list" (without the quotes) in terminal to verify what drive is your OS X boot drive. Let's say it's disk0s1, then run "sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/disk0s1", this will not affect existing data on the drive but it would be wise to clone the drive first. Then install Clover with the correct settings. Be certain to choose the UEFI: in your boot menu or bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back