Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Clover boot menu items seem to be misdirected (waving the white flag of surrender on fixing it myself, hence this post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8H61-I R2.0
CPU
i5 > Need model # > See Rules!
Graphics
GT 730
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am running Clover v4674 (I know that it's not up-to-date, but it has been working flawlessly until about 2 weeks ago), to boot MacOS Sierra on ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 (Hackintosh) motherboard, but I am 99.9% sure that I do not have a hardware problem. Some background---about two weeks ago, I mistakenly used Hackintool to try to repair a sleep/wake problem, my intervention with Hackintool scrambled my Clover boot such that the system booted to the null sign....arghh. Fortunately, I had a cloned backup of the SSD (a dual boot Win10/Hackintosh) on a USB drive. I restored the EFI file from USB backup to the SSD, and now, the system will not boot from the SSD, will only boot from the USB, but in a very strange way. Here are the symptoms--- when I boot the system to the SSD (without the USB drive connected), the clover boot menu has an item to boot the MacOS on the SSD, when this option is chosen, the system boots to the null sign. When the system is booted with the USB drive connected, the Clover boot menu includes options to boot to (1) MacOS on the USB, and (2) MacOS on the SSD, when (1) is chosen the system uses the USB as the boot device, but boots to the MacOS that resides on the SSD, and when (2) is chosen the system uses the SSD as the boot device, but boots to the MacOS that resides on the USB. I've been struggling to figure out how to fix this for more than two weeks now, this post is my white flag of surrender. I have tried just about everything that I can think of, and has been posted on the various hackintosh fora. I have used the Clover EFI shell to examine the EFI map (everything seems to be in order). I have attempted to "reinstall" MacOS Sierra using a bootable USB (in which case the Clover menu does not show an option for booting to the MacOS install USB, so no joy there). Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for how I can get the system to boot from the SSD to the MacOS that resides on the SSD?

ASUS P8H61-I R2.0 (Hackintosh) motherboard

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile - Just three items - Motherboard (or prebuilt system), Processor (CPU) and Graphics.

Apologies, updated profile to include 2 Hackintosh specs.

updated profile to include 2 Hackintosh specs

The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you. They are only for listing components and details of your primary system you are seeking assistance for or your latest system. Since they are viewable under your avatar they need to kept as small as possible and limited to one system only

Updated to just the profile for which I am seeking help, again, sorry.

If by 'the null sign' you mean what Apple refer to as the prohibitory symbol this is usually (but not exclusively) caused by a controller issue.
If booting from USB = USB controller.
If booting from SATA = SATA controller.

You should boot in verbose mode and post a picture of the screen when it stops.
Also zip and attach your /EFI folder.

Thank you @PILGRIM for your kind and prompt response. I attach two images of "verbose" output, (1) just before the prohibitory symbol, and (2) just after the prohibitory symbol comes up (unfortunately, the resolution gets garbled as soon as the prohibitory symbol comes up). I also attach the EFI.zip file from the SSD. I think that it is important to note that the system will boot from both the SSD and the USB, but only when the USB is attached. Also, the system will boot into Win10 directly from the SSD (no USB required). If I boot from the SSD without the USB attached, but connect the USB before the "verbose" boot process gets to the prohibitory symbol, the system will boot to the MacOS installation on the USB (even though in the Clover boot menu it was listed as the SSD MacOS)
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    53.6 MB · Views: 101
If you are booting from USB then you should attach your /EFI folder from the EFI partition of the USB drive.

Use the forum Search tool to look for 'still waiting for root device' or 'prohibitory symbol'.

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 06.11.42.png

Thank you, again, @PILGRIM. Responding to your two points, (1) There is no problem in booting from the USB drive (except that it boots to the MacOS version that is on the SDD)--the prohibitory symbol only arises when the system is booted from the SSD, hence the posting of the SSD EFI (I can also post the USB EFI, if that would be helpful, but it may only further confuse matters, since it is the SSD that I would like to get working properly); (2) I have exhausted all suggestions on the various hackintosh fora (including this one, and others) on what to do about the prohibitory symbol (most suggest it is due to a problem with the Clover install, and suggest a re-install of Clover, which I have done multiple times to no effect). As noted in my original post, the reason that I posted on this site is because I have exhausted all of the suggested remedies to no avail, and am hoping that someone has another/new idea.

Your SSD /EFI is a joke.

You appear to have copied a load of kexts from /Library/Extensions.
You should examine all of the other kexts too and remove all of the ones that don't support your hardware.

Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 17.25.17.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back