Contribute
Register

Clover Boot Loader became Windows Boot Manager after Windows Update (Dual Boot System)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Fatal1ty B360M Performance
CPU
Intel i7-8700
Graphics
GeForce® GTX 1080 WINDFORCE OC 8G
Hi guys, I've been using my Hackintosh (High Sierra 10.13.5) for about 2 years.

I was using my Windows and it updated automatically. After restarting, for some reason my motherboard didn't detect my clover boot drive (my 1st boot priority - my Hackintosh). It bypassed the clover boot loader and booted straight into my Windows again.

I went to check on my BIOS whether the drive was detected, it didn't. I removed the drive and inserted it back again and the Windows Blue Recovery screen showed up (see the attached photo below). On BIOS, my Hackintosh/clover drive is now named under "Windows Boot Manger", which is same with my Windows Drive. (What?)

So I guess something has modified my Hackintosh drive's boot loader, causing it to use Windows Boot Manager instead of Clover Boot Loader. So here are some stuffs that I have done:

1. Accessing my Hackintosh Drive on Windows. (See 3rd photo)
I have used these apps on Windows called "APFS for Windows" and "Explorer++" before months ago. They allowed me to access to my Hackintosh Drive on my Windows flawlessly. But now, when I mounted the drive on Windows, it shows that the Hackintosh drive was completely empty but it was not! Something is avoiding me to access to the drive!

2. Re-ensure that my BIOS settings are correct. (4th - 8th photo)
I've seen some posts saying about making sure that under "Boot", select "Other OS" instead of "Windows". But my motherboard doesn't have that option.

3. Using a USB Clover Boot Loader??? (9th and 10th photo)
Since I'm missing out Clover Boot Loader, maybe I could use a USB stick to load the boot loader? Well it didn't detect anything about my Hackintosh Drive but my Windows Drive.

In Disk Utiliy, I was able to see that the drive was detected, but again it is not allowing me to have access on it. The drive's name was in grey color and nothing happened when I clicked the "Mount" icon.

Any help would be really appreciated!!! :(

Attachments

• IMG_4739.jpg
    IMG_4739.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 242
  • InkedIMG_4741_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_4741_LI.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG_4742.jpg
    IMG_4742.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4743.jpg
    IMG_4743.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4744.jpg
    IMG_4744.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_4745.jpg
    IMG_4745.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG-4738.jpg
    IMG-4738.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG-4737.jpg
    IMG-4737.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 148
Same drive or separate drives? If same, get another drive and split the Mac OS and Win10 to separate drives or it will hapen every time Win10 does a "Feature Update". Otherwise, try bcdedit to change the boot list.

Same drive or separate drives? If same, get another drive and split the Mac OS and Win10 to separate drives or it will hapen every time Win10 does a "Feature Update". Otherwise, try bcdedit to change the boot list.

Hi, thank you for your reply! I’m using separate drives for both Windows and macOS.

I tried using ‘First Aid’ in Disk Utility (Using the USB installer) on my Hackintosh drive. I got this error message in one of the lines: “error: om: btn: invalid o_oid (0xa1e8)” . I did some digging online, could it be that the drive has corrupted?

I wonder how can I still retrieve/back up/modify/access to that drive (M.2 SATA SSD) Will it work if I insert the drive using an M.2 case to my Macbook Pro?

Or could it be the issue with the motherboard? Maybe a Gigabyte one would help (more suitable for hackintosh) ? (Using Asrock B360m Fatality currently)

Does your Mac OS USB installer have the ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver in the Clover/driversUEFI folder? This file is required to read APFS volumes.

Does your Mac OS USB installer have the ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver in the Clover/driversUEFI folder? This file is required to read APFS volumes.
Hmm that seems like something new to me. I’ll get back as soon as possible! Thank you!

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
I do have ApfsDriverLoader.efi driver in the Clover/driverUEFI folder.

Attachments

• IMG-4926.jpg
    IMG-4926.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG-4925.jpg
    IMG-4925.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 91
Does anybody know if those Data Recovery shops are able to retrieve or back up my data from this drive?
Even though that it has this error?
“error: om: btn: invalid o_oid (0xa1e8)”

So apparently my Hackintosh Drive is overwritten by Windows FAT32 EFI or something like that?
Even if I were to back it up, it will only be able to back up the FAT32 EFI System Partition, where did this even come from? (refer to IMG-4952.jpg) "Estimated Back-up size: 71.9MB"...
Not sure if cloning it would help in any way though...

Attachments

• IMG-4952.jpg
    IMG-4952.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG-4951.jpg
    IMG-4951.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG-4950.jpg
    IMG-4950.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG-4953.jpg
    IMG-4953.jpg