Contribute
Register

Clover Boot 10.11.4 Stable (no freezes), Experiencing After Effects crashing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4770, 3.4 GHz, 8MB Cache, LGA1150
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

Searched for days for a solution to my particular issue on TonyMacx86 (and getting lost in the vastness of posts). So far I am unable to locate anyone with my specific error. The OS is extremely stable (thanks to Clover!) but having some software issues with After Effects CC 2015.3 and Illustrator CC 2015.3.1 crashing randomly, and to a lessor degree Pro Tools 11.3.1 (Crashes when I double click on a crossfade only). Oddly enough I have not experienced any crashes with Premiere Pro CC 2015 and video preview in the composition panel is smooth. It looks like I have GPU acceleration although I do occasionally get colored noise in my youtube video through Safari and thumbnail photos, a refresh of the web page usually fixes it temporarily.

I can post the crash logs for both Premiere Pro and After effects if requested. I have proficient knowledge of T-SQL and basic understanding of VB by the way.

Clover is new to me and my understanding of it grows a little bit each day. Currently I'm making the assumption I need to install more Post Install kexts, but since the system is stable, maybe not? Any expertise on this subject or where I can be pointed in the right direction would greatly appreciated.

Quick rundown of my install process:

1. Installed El Capitan 10.11.4 with Unibeast USB
2. Executed CustoMac Essentials pkg
3. Executed Clover_v2.k_r3320-UEFI pkg
4. Run Clover Configurator and mount EFI
5. Choose SMBIOS 14,2 & save
6. Executed audio_cloverALC-110_v1.0s10
7. Installed WebDriver-346.03.06f01 and injected driver

My build: Currently a Dual Boot
Motherboard: GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: i7-4770, 3.4GHz. *MB Cache, LGA1150 (currently displaying as 3.39 GHz in About This Mac)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2047 MB
RAM: 4 x Crucial Ballistic Tactical 8GB running @1333 MHz (32GB total)
OSX SSD: Samsung Pro 250GB (for OSX)
Other OS Drive: Win10 on a Samsung EVO 840 mSATA mounted to a PCI Express Card

Attached is my config.plist. Has anyone also experienced this specific issue?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.4 KB · Views: 263
There have been various versions of the Nvidia web drive that did not play well with Adobe apps, use the stock OS X driver.

There have been various versions of the Nvidia web drive that did not play well with Adobe apps, use the stock OS X driver.

Thank you for your quick reply slim.jim. I will try this and report back with results...

One positive already (apologies for going slightly off thread subject), is the Pro Tools 11 issue I briefly mentioned was due to a session corruption. Most likely because the session was originally created on a Windows machine and edited on OSX. Creating a new session solved this.

Well I've been using the programs for 12 hours with heavy use and I'm happy to report back that the Adobe programs are stable. I don't want to celebrate yet but it's significantly improved. I did get one After Effects Alert message when closing After effects (but that was on closing it) about shortly after I switched to OS X Default drivers but that was it. I've attached it for anyone curious. I repaired disk permissions too. Worked with the programs (half the time with multiple Adobe programs open) with heavy use and no issues. Thanks for the suggestion slim.jim!! That was the right direction.

I'm going to CCC this install and continue to see what else I can get to work, for fun I'll give the Cuda drivers a shot and see if I have better luck with them on El Capitan (on Yosemite 10.10.5 it killed my install and couldn't save it).

Peace

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.23.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 12.23.49 PM.png
    137.4 KB · Views: 117
Well I've been using the programs for 12 hours with heavy use and I'm happy to report back that the Adobe programs are stable. I don't want to celebrate yet but it's significantly improved. I did get one After Effects Alert message when closing After effects (but that was on closing it) about shortly after I switched to OS X Default drivers but that was it. I've attached it for anyone curious. I repaired disk permissions too. Worked with the programs (half the time with multiple Adobe programs open) with heavy use and no issues. Thanks for the suggestion slim.jim!! That was the right direction.

I'm going to CCC this install and continue to see what else I can get to work, for fun I'll give the Cuda drivers a shot and see if I have better luck with them on El Capitan (on Yosemite 10.10.5 it killed my install and couldn't save it).

Peace

The Nvidia drivers seemed much more stable with Adobe apps on El Capitan 10.11.6. CUDA shouldn't kill your build by any means, I have always installed them on any OS X install be it on a hackintosh or real Mac without any issues.

The Nvidia drivers seemed much more stable with Adobe apps on El Capitan 10.11.6. CUDA shouldn't kill your build by any means, I have always installed them on any OS X install be it on a hackintosh or real Mac without any issues.

Your most likely right, it could have been the upgraded from 10.10 to 10.10.5. I re-patched everything (I may have missed one). I only noticed it after I installed Cuda drivers which could have been coincidence. This gentleman observed freezes doing the same on 10.10 and uninstalling Cuda fixed his issue:

Thank you again for your reply slim.jim. I will research what I need to be aware of by updating to 10.11.6. How was your experience upgrading to that version?

Your most likely right, it could have been the upgraded from 10.10 to 10.10.5. I re-patched everything (I may have missed one). I only noticed it after I installed Cuda drivers which could have been coincidence. This gentleman observed freezes doing the same on 10.10 and uninstalling Cuda fixed his issue:

Thank you again for your reply slim.jim. I will research what I need to be aware of by updating to 10.11.6. How was your experience upgrading to that version?

All upgrades from 10.11.0-10.11.6 were seamless.

All upgrades from 10.11.0-10.11.6 were seamless.

Thanks again for the quick reply. I'm pleased to say overall it went well for me too. There were a few odd occurrences but nothing too major. Overall I'm happy. Enabling CUDA in After Effects CC is the last issue I am attempting to resolve (my experience described in detail #3 below).

Stuff I've observed after update:

1. I use a Focusrite Saffire 18i20 connected to two JBL LSR305's for audio. When I import photos and videos from my iPhone 6s and play iTunes simultaneously the audio slowly deteriorates and disintegrates into noise. I can hit pause and play and it'll hold for about 10 seconds before doing it again. I have not tested if this affects the audio when Built-In Internal Speakers is selected, but this just a minor annoyance as I can wait until the photos have finished importing and then resume playing. The issue does not return unless I import more photos again.

2. At first I could not use the NVIDIA Web Driver and have dual screen. I was also still having display issues with photo thumbnails, YouTube video, and video preview in garageband randomly displaying colored noise instead of the actual photo or video. I only use my dedicated GPU card. I read on multiple posts that disabling Integrated Graphics in the BIOS can help fix this, and it appears to have been the solution to both my issues as well. I just now tonight switched to the NVIDIA Web Driver and will try it out for a week. I will report back if any issues surface during that time. Using the OS X Default Graphics Driver has been solid using Adobe CC.

3. The one thing I have not successfully been able to do so far is enable CUDA for After Effects CC. Premiere Pro CC, Mercury Playback (Cuda) is recognized and working, but GPU remains greyed out in Ae. I know the way to get it to work is to simply add my GeForce GTX 770 to the raytracer_supported_cards txt file, but CUDA still does not show up in the Preview Preferences pane:

Methods I’ve tried:

a. I tried the sudo command in Terminal method but could not get it to write my GPU’s card name to the file. After I press ctrl + x and select Y to save I cannot exit Terminal without manually closing the window. Pressing enter after saving throws me back into text edit. Not sure why I am experiencing different behavior from the tutorials.

b. Later I discovered there was no raytracer_supported_cards txt file in the Contents folder, so I manually created it and entered my graphics card to the list but Ae still does not recognize CUDA in the Preferences and GPU remains greyed out. I've tried multiple CUDA driver versions. Currently I have cudadriver-8.0.46 installed and NVIDIA Web Driver version 346.03.15f03.

It appears I am missing something...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.58.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.58.59 PM.png
    207 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.57.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.57.14 PM.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.56.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.56.57 PM.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited: