Contribute
Register

Clover and MultiBeast - GA-Z87X-UD5H - Yosemite - Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
GA-Z87X-UD5H - Yosemite - Guide

Same hardware as you. Maverick running perfect.
Trying Yosemite:

I don't know why I get " can't find mach_kernel"
I add the S/L/K/k and When the Apple Logo start, my system resets.
Any Idea?

off topic:
@ihal9001 Is your overlocking auto or have you move your V-core and other values? In that case can you share your that values by PM?

Trying Yosemite:

Any Idea?

off topic:
@ihal9001 Is your overlocking auto or have you move your V-core and other values? In that case can you share your that values by PM?

Not sure... I didn't do an upgrade I did a fresh install and didn't have this issue...

Trying Yosemite:

Any Idea?

off topic:

Sure I'll PM them to you over the weekend. I'm with @techfreaktwo – fresh install will be better option. Backup everything through CCC or Time Machine. You can restore your files through Mac Assistant if needed. But I'm a geek I did it manually :geek:

@ihal9001 you are my hero! My onboard audio is finally working!

Sure I'll PM them to you over the weekend. I'm with @techfreaktwo – fresh install will be better option. Backup everything through CCC or Time Machine. You can restore your files through Mac Assistant if needed. But I'm a geek I did it manually :geek:

After a clean install, I would second the recommendation to re-install everything manually.

When you first get everything up and running, back up everything with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). Then make small, incremental tweaks as necessary, backing up along the way. If you break something, restoring will be easy.

I would recommend against restoring with Time Machine. When I first had Yosemite up and running after a clean install from Unibeast, I tried restoring everything with Time Machine. When I returned, my computer was badly borked. It wouldn't boot off of the SSD or either of my two USB drives (one with Unibeast, another with a minimal install of Mavericks). Not 100% sure Time Machine is responsible, but that's when everything went wrong for me.

Took several days to sort out. My suspicion is that Time Machine messed with system settings and also possibly the BIOS (not sure how else to explain it). Note: I could boot of a Windows 7 SSD, so there was nothing wrong with the computer itself. [This motivated me to finally try installing Clover]

Clover install went well. I then installed audio and TRIM kexts via MultiBeast worked. However, when I later tried to add other kexts (HWMonitor and related), it broke things as above. I had to reset the BIOS and ended up restoring the build from CCC. A bit of a hassle, but everything worked out. :)

Now everything is up and running and (importantly) I finally have Messages working.

Strongly recommend Clover and Carbon Copy Cloner. :)

After a clean install, I would second the recommendation to re-install everything manually.

When you first get everything up and running, back up everything with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). Then make small, incremental tweaks as necessary, backing up along the way. If you break something, restoring will be easy.

I would recommend against restoring with Time Machine. When I first had Yosemite up and running after a clean install from Unibeast, I tried restoring everything with Time Machine. When I returned, my computer was badly borked. It wouldn't boot off of the SSD or either of my two USB drives (one with Unibeast, another with a minimal install of Mavericks). Not 100% sure Time Machine is responsible, but that's when everything went wrong for me.

-

Couldn't have said it better, I actually have also moved my build over to Clover and I have everything working except sleep(don't really need anyway) and I have a Wifi/BT 4.0 card on the way so I can have AirDrop, Handoff, etc.

I will post some info on the process as well. But iMessages is working and I am happy :p

Took several days to sort out. My suspicion is that Time Machine messed with system settings and also possibly the BIOS (not sure how else to explain it). Note: I could boot of a Windows 7 SSD, so there was nothing wrong with the computer itself. [This motivated me to finally try installing Clover]

Clover install went well. I then installed audio and TRIM kexts via MultiBeast worked. However, when I later tried to add other kexts (HWMonitor and related), it broke things as above. I had to reset the BIOS and ended up restoring the build from CCC. A bit of a hassle, but everything worked out. :)

Now everything is up and running and (importantly) I finally have Messages working.

So as I can see, Chimera 4.0 doesn't work with this board, right?
What if I have allready installed Yosemite on SSD with Chimera 4.0, older motherboard, older CPU, older RAM and just replace them with UD5H, i7 4790K and 16GB to 1600?
I'm just asking cause I've already bought them. I need to setup the new hardware.

PS Older Parts:
GA-EP35C-DS3R
Intel Core2 Quad
8GB DDR2 SDRAM to 800
SMBIOS MacPro 3,1

Chimera 4 / Yosemite does work with the board. Chimera just doesn't (currently) have a way to provide some system information necessary for things like iMessage to work. Clover does, but is more complicated to setup. Chameleon does work though.

In switching out hardware, you may have to made modifications to your boot args in /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist, get rid you your old DSDT.aml if you were using one, and change/add kexts.

So as I can see, Chimera 4.0 doesn't work with this board, right?
What if I have allready installed Yosemite on SSD with Chimera 4.0, older motherboard, older CPU, older RAM and just replace them with UD5H, i7 4790K and 16GB to 1600?
I'm just asking cause I've already bought them. I need to setup the new hardware.

PS Older Parts:
GA-EP35C-DS3R
Intel Core2 Quad
8GB DDR2 SDRAM to 800
SMBIOS MacPro 3,1

I resolve my Chimera problem:

z87x ud5h (Audio: use Toleda patch, Piker not work for me).
i7 4770K @4300
RAM 16GB Trident @2400 Mhz.
770 windforce 4 GB
SSD Samsung
3 RAID x 3 TB Sata III.
Time Machine.

I used to boot from the prompt, and this was the error. You should boot from F12 options to your hard disk with Yosemite. Because I have Mavericks in other SSD, with other Chimera Version.

Important: I don't know - and I don't going to try - if Mavericks run with Chimera 4.0. So, take care about that.

Maverick it's faster than Yosemite.

I had put the Piker's Patch to get full power managment and I have overlocked my i7 4770k with delid for reduce the temperature and I use to do the same test, and bios settings:

- Geekbench 64 bits (18500 Yosemite vs 18800 Mavericks)
- Cinebench 850 vs 890
- Apple Compressor: 5 GB Pro res to 1920x1080 H264 10% slower in Yosemite.

Video card (770 wind force 4GB) have the identical result as Maverick 112 fps vs 106 fps in Cinebench.

I use to work in film edition with huge files to render for nights or days with DaVinci Resolve (Not up to date to work with Yosemite) and Final Cut X.

Today it's not good try Yosemite if you have fully functional Mavericks.

My opinion is Apple should work to go faster with Yosemite: some transparent layout and blue folders in your desktop are not a business for people like me.

Good Hack and thanks for the guide!

I have this motherboard. Time Machine screwed up my first attempt at restoring my files and settings. The mistake I made was to run Migration Assistant during the install. It apparently restored my old Extra folder, overwriting the one that had just been created during the install.

I was successful restoring w/TM when I waited to do the TM restore until after I had Yosemite completely installed and ran Multibeast. I just created a new login during the install, then after everything was up & running I ran Migration Assistant and told it to replace my new login with the one backed up in TM. It still restored the old Extra folder, but instead of overwriting my current working folder it created a copy named "Extra (from old Mac)" and put the old Mavericks-install files there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back