Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X
CPU
i5-12600K
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just wondering what success others have had upgrading to Mavericks with Clover?

I use a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H Motherboard with GTX-660 Graphics and had no problems running Mountain Lion. My first attempt to upgrade to Mavericks ended in failure, before I discovered I needed to put FakeSMC in Clover's kexts/10.9 directory to get the install to work.

After that, the in-place upgrade went smoothly. The only problems I have are that Apple Maps brings up a black window then crashes and so does EyeTV, but hopefully these are just early adopter niggles.

Anyway, hope your upgrade went smoothly if you decided to upgrade, and I wonder how others have got on installing Mavericks with Clover?

EDIT: Maybe it's best to stick to the Mavericks thread on the main forum for this sort of thing(?).

Had to reinstall Mavericks from scratch from USB, so thought it was worth describing the process, along with some notes. (Thanks to Pokenguyen from the ProjectOSX forums, whose post influenced mine):

- Use Disk Utility to format a USB drive called Untitled as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with a GUID Partition Table. Then, to create the Install USB, (download Mavericks from App Store) and run the terminal command
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica]sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction[/FONT][/COLOR]
- Next, I created another small USB drive as MS-DOS (Fat) and installed the latest Clover on it. Another option is to split your Install USB into two partitions (one large, one small) and use the small partition for EFI, but I'm not too sure how to go about that.
- Put your kexts into kexts/10.9/ - FakeSMC is needed. If you're booting Mavericks from a USB 3.0 port, like I was, then GenericUSBXHCI is also needed.
- Make sure that you have HFSPlus.efi instead of VboxHFS.efi inside drivers64UEFI. If you don't you can't boot off the Install USB in my experience.
- Boot to Clover (I used my Clover USB Drive), select your Mavericks Install USB, type space and choose No caches - With kext injected, finish 1st stage install and restart. (Mavericks stalled on a minute remaining on this part of the install but eventually rebooted).
- Boot to Clover, select your Install USB again, type space and choose No caches - With kext injected, finish 2nd stage install and restart. (Important to choose the Install USB again at this stage).
- Boot to Clover, select your HDD, type space and choose No caches - With kext injected. Install Kexts, Clover and your Applications on new OS Mavericks.

Notes:
- Maps wouldn't work on fresh install. I had to change my Macmini6,2 SMBios to a iMac13,2 one to get it working (I have GTX 660 discrete graphics).
- Then had to edit IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext to get speedstep working with iMac13,2 SMBios. Also had to use chmod to restore permissions after editing kext or it wouldn't load on next boot.
- There is a delay before sleeping, and hard drive activity for 10 seconds, before Hackintosh goes to sleep. Don't know why this is and got this problem on a fresh install of Mavericks.
- Also getting crashes of PCSCD service for unknown reason, linked to a shutdown stall.
- If I use Disk Utility to check OS X drive get "Error: The partition map needs to be repaired because there’s a problem with the EFI system partition’s file system."
- Apart from these niggles, everything else is working fine.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I hadn't seen your excellent, in-depth guide on here before writing mine (I had just seen your short post on Projectosx). I recommend anybody wanting to do a fresh upgrade to Mavericks to first read nguyenmac's guide before proceeding - I feel it's well worth reading.

Also thanks for the information on the sleep delay problem and using gparted to format the EFI partition. I may just leave the EFI as it is for now as it doesn't affect functionality. The only problem is when I run Disk Utility to fix it, doing so wipes the EFI partition. Also, this problem is affecting real-life Mac users too since Mavericks - see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5477375?start=0&tstart=0 though only in small numbers.

i used a unibeast clover crossover to upgrade to 10.9.1...used clover to boot and unibeast to install after that i installed fake smc audio drivers and network drivers ...works like a charm ...im currently upgrading to a gtx 660 ftw 3 gb hopefully there will be no problems as the clover bootloader includes graphics inject so ill be crossing my fingers

Hi, glad to hear you got your setup working. I also use a GTX 660 and I don't think it needs any kind of graphics injector under Clover - it should just work hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back