Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX
CPU
i5 3570K
Graphics
GTX 650
For people not using standard mobos, quite a bit of experimentation regarding which kexts work and which don't is required. But everytime something goes wrong and a KP happens, I find myself having to go through the time consuming process of restoring from time machine.

I know there's more to this than just deleting the kexts from S/L/E, because that often results in other instabilities. In any case, I doubt it would be too hard to build an uninstall feature in to multibeast for each individual kext, no? it'll just be the inverse of changes made during install.

Re: Request: Kext uninstall for Multibeast

Seems like a really great feature. Would be actually cool if every time the multi beast software modded or replaced a default kext, it would save a backup of the original into a /backup/date-time folder as well. When selecting and unselecting massive amounts of options messing around, it would be nice to know what was changed at what time. I have kext's in my s/l/e just like you that were added and now I really have no idea if they are even helping the system out, or messing with the system. The ability for the app to at least scan whats there and allow you to uncheck them and have them uninstalled sure would be nice.

Just seconding the request, as I am sure the weight of multiple requests helps drive features.

Thanks

I agree. But this whole concept is a gift horse in the mouth.
I am working on my 2nd I7 Sandy Bridge build now. The first went relatively smooth, as I found a dsdt on another site. Now I am working with the much dreaded Asrock Pro3.
An alternative to this is to use Carbon Copy to multiple partitons. If it messes up, you choose to boot to a different copy. Then carbon copy back over the messed up one. Much easier than time machine.
Only a lame gamer would do it this way. Save the game every now and :banghead: then, and if you get nuked, you pick up at your last save. :headbang:

Why lame? Backups are much easier than a re-install. I like the kext uninstall idea BTW.

In MultiBeast is clearly shows where each and every kext is installed.

I would suggest that every user should have a handle on what kexts they are installing where so that they can remove them if needed.

Note that the majority of the time users can boot into single user mode and delete kexts via command line, repair permissions and rebuild cache to get a workable machine.

But yes having backups is much simplier or having a second HD that you use as a test build for updates etc before then applying to your main build.

Also I believe there is a log output from MultiBeast if you look in Console but I am not near my hack to point to the details.

notshy said:
In MultiBeast is clearly shows where each and every kext is installed.

I would suggest that every user should have a handle on what kexts they are installing where so that they can remove them if needed.

Note that the majority of the time users can boot into single user mode and delete kexts via command line, repair permissions and rebuild cache to get a workable machine.

But yes having backups is much simplier or having a second HD that you use as a test build for updates etc before then applying to your main build.

Also I believe there is a log output from MultiBeast if you look in Console but I am not near my hack to point to the details.

doesn't the install add/change lines to/in certain config files too? how do we identify the lines added and to which files?

thetrystero said:
Doesn't the install add/change lines to/in certain config files too? how do we identify the lines added and to which files?

Yes - your boot.plist in /Extra but again I think MultiBeast's info box is fairly explicit here about the edits that it makes. The boot.plist can be edited in single user mode in Pico via the command line also.

Also using rBoot or iBoot you can usually get back in to the system.

MultiBeast 4.1.0 now has detailed descriptions that provides exact names and locations for everything installed.

You can get this from the installer or the MultiBeast Features document included in the MultiBeast download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back