Graphics
680 GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello, I'm here to report the fact that Chimera 2.0.0 breaks front 2.0 USB ports on my Asus Maximus V Extreme.

They're connected directly to the mobo through the standard connector. With Chimera 1.11.1 (the one that ships with Multibeast 5.2.1) they easily work while as soon as I switch bootloader they break.

I actually realized that this bug occurs also with the Chameleon branch used to fix the iMessage problem (found a link here on the forum somewhere) so it may not be related directly to Chimera (although my current version works like a charm except for slow reboot and iMessage).

Front USB Hubs not working with Chimera 2.0.0

Hello, I'm here to report the fact that Chimera 2.0.0 breaks front 2.0 USB ports on my Asus Maximus V Extreme.

They're connected directly to the mobo through the standard connector. With Chimera 1.11.1 (the one that ships with Multibeast 5.2.1) they easily work while as soon as I switch bootloader they break.

I actually realized that this bug occurs also with the Chameleon branch used to fix the iMessage problem (found a link here on the forum somewhere) so it may not be related directly to Chimera (although my current version works like a charm except for slow reboot and iMessage).
Hello. In Chimera Bugs forum i found your thread and was quite surprised. How you managed to make front panel USB ports to work in first place? I also use Asus Maximus V Extreme, but my front USB2.0 ports don't work... How did you run setup procedure? What options choosed in MultiBeast? *What BIOS version you have? Maybe, with your help, I can also make my ports to work.
My USB3.0 ports work OK, but not with storage devices. At least USB2.0 thumb-drives don't work. Other peripheral devices are working flawlessly.

All this is with Chimera 1.11.1. I'll be able to experiment with 2.0.1 on sunday.

Actually I'm referring to USB2.0 on front panel (which are attached to the mobo).

Still no way to make them work, I tried all the flags available for USB fixes on org.chameleon.Boot.plist, I guess I'm out of luck.

@Net-burst: Actually I didn't choose any strange setting, IIRC I didn't choose any of the specific USB drivers in multibeast neither I placed any USB fix command in the boot.plist. In this configuration what is working are:

- back 2.0 USBs
- back 3.0 USBs (just the Intel Z77 ones, which are the lower couple)
- front 2.0 USBs

As you can see from the screen two USB2.0 hubs are recognized (the back one and the front one), and a USB3.0 hub is recognized in 2.0 and 3.0 mode (and it actually works either with a 2.0 peripheral or 3.0). I attached the front USB2.0 ports to the left one plug on the motherboard.

If I install Chimera 2.0.0 one of the 2 USB2.0 hubs just disappears. I'm actually wondering what the BM20702A0 is since there are no additional devices attached to the hubs, just keyboard and mouse.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 11.49.35.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-23 at 11.49.35.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 286

dogxsx, thats most strange thing. One of my USB2.0 hubs disappear because of HPET IRQs overlap with HUB's. You can help us understand why your HUB disappear by submitting your ioreg dump with old Chimera and with new one. Also, I hope that by studying your ioreg, I can understand why your's USB ports work, and mine aren't.

Have you flashed patched BIOS? Or you are using nullcpupowernanager?

BM20702A0 is WiFi/Bluetooth add-in card, that you connected to your motherboard during assembly :) . Its located in topmost-right corner of motherboard, if you forgot. Its not supported by OSX, so you can only use it under Windows. If you want native WiFi/Bluetooth under OSX, you can order supported mini-pcie card and replace your current one ;)

Also, could you please look in System Information into Diagnostics category and tell me what you see there? Preferably under old and new Chimera. Under old there must be failure with reason "Memory Slots: ChannelA-DIMM0/BANK 0, ChannelB-DIMM0/BANK 2" and under new one there shall be no errors.

Yes, I discovered about the incompatibility of the mPCI-e after some tries and some research on the forum, thanks :)
The bad thing about chimera 1.1.1 is the fact that reboot takes a lot (actually OS X shutdowns fast but POST is not reached before 30 secs from the shutdown of the OS. Maybe the problems are related?

I flashed the BIOS by using this repo: http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asus/z77/ (and indeed I didn't use the NullCpuPowerManager)

DIAGNOSTICS 1.1.1
Code:
Power On Self-Test:

Last Run:	2/25/13 01:05 
  Result:	Failed
  Failure Type:	Memory
  Memory Slots:	ChannelA-DIMM0/BANK 0, ChannelB-DIMM0/BANK 2

DIAGNOSTICS 2.0.0
Code:
Power On Self-Test:

Last Run:	2/25/13 2:01
 Result:	Failed
 Failure Type:	Memory
 Memory Slots:	ChannelA-DIMM0/BANK 0, ChannelB-DIMM0/BANK 2

Both POST test fails actually, but reboot/shutdown are fast with 2.0.0. On the opposite side it seems like that with 1.1.1 the boot of OSX is faster (it's not just personal suggestion because it takes like double time).

I attached both IOReg dumps, thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• chimera-1.1.1.txt.zip
    36.3 KB · Views: 175
  • chimera-2.0.1.txt.zip
    25.1 KB · Views: 156

Thanks, but unfortunately, your dumps are of no use. They are in txt format, whereas binary dump is needed. Here's more info about dumping: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. They are useful, to be more precise, but hard as hell to navigate and interpret because of cluttering. I'll try to study mine and yours ioregs today to see any differences.

About diagnostics message: this is also one of Chimera and Chameleon problems. But it's resolved in Ermak's branch of Chameleon. Unfortunately, i failed to trace the changeset that resolved this issue :(

Reboot issue is strange. Considering that we have almost identical setups, at least. I have long shutdown (spinner on gray screen with several stuck processes) and fast POST, followed with moderate startup speed (considering my old 1TB 7200RPM HDD).

Also, what BIOS version did your flash? Checked functionality of front USB2.0 ports with 3 latest versions of BIOS and they didn't work. With NullCPUPowerManager they are working, but its not really a solution...

Ok, here there should be the IOReg dumps browsable with the explorer.

The bios version should be the 1604 modded (I downloaded it like 3 weeks ago from the repository that I posted earlier). Let me know if we're able to fix my problem and yours :)

I still have to try if the USB3 on the mobo is recognised but I need to purchase an adapter from USB3 20pin to female USB3 because my chassis doesn't have native 20pin but just pass through.

I don't have the spinner on the gray screen because I changed hibernatemode and probably because I'm working with an SSD. But after that monitor loses its signal it takes 30 secs to shutdown completely (I'm still talking about 1.11.1)

Attachments

• Dogxsx-ioreg.zip
    944.4 KB · Views: 151

Ok, here there should be the IOReg dumps browsable with the explorer.

The bios version should be the 1604 modded (I downloaded it like 3 weeks ago from the repository that I posted earlier). Let me know if we're able to fix my problem and yours :)

I still have to try if the USB3 on the mobo is recognised but I need to purchase an adapter from USB3 20pin to female USB3 because my chassis doesn't have native 20pin but just pass through.

I don't have the spinner on the gray screen because I changed hibernatemode and probably because I'm working with an SSD. But after that monitor loses its signal it takes 30 secs to shutdown completely (I'm still talking about 1.11.1)
Thanks. I'm already trying to understand whats the difference between our cases. I have one idea about USB2.0 ports working in your case: you have external GFX, while I use HD4000. Looks like the GFX card shifted IRQ distribution and allowed your USB ports to function. I'll try to check this idea tomorrow.

About USB2.0 disappearance with Chimera 2.0 - they disappeared in the same way as mine. Search for HPET entry in your ioregs and you'll see that with 1.11.1 your HPET timer uses 2 IRQs, but with 2.0 it uses 4. Problem is, one (if I'm not mistaken) of them are used by USB controller. But most fun part remains unsolved: why your usb host controller functions with 1.11.1?.. This is kext-bound case, not bootloader. I mean, you can force HPET to use only 2 IRQs by using NullCPU or by DSDT edits, but not by changing boot loaders.

About long shutdown: I also have around 30 sec shutdown time, but my monitor have signal entire time. In verbose mode I can see that OSX is waiting for several processes to shutdown and then just kills them.

PS. It's sooo esoteric... Without changing any settings, my Broadcom WiFi/Bluetooth card just disappeared...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back