Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

Now that I have my system 90% working (HDMI Audio Fail on the GTX 660), I was curious what the steps would be to clone my drive to the SSD. Let me know if this makes sense.

1. Install the new SSD
2. Open Multibeast and find the "TRIM" function I have seen mentioned in posts and install that.
3. Boot from my HD, then clone using Carbon Copy Cloner

Is there anything else to it? Am I correct that I can just boot off of a cloned hard drive without any changes (Chimera or otherwise?)

Thanks!
Dion

Before : install your SSD as usual.

first : Download Carbon Copy Cloner
Second : Make a full copy with Carbon Copy cloner from your HD to your SSD
Third : Boot with a bootable usb ML image
4 : Run multibeast, install chimera on target SSD drive
5 : Reboot and select in your bios the correct drive

Hi!

Yes, you can use the clone software suggested in the thread. Or you can have hardware that does not care about the OS on the HDD.

This piece of hardware has worked for me with Windows, Linux, Mac OS, without any problems.

This morning I wanted to make a 100% clone of a Mac OS X 10.8.2 HDD before I started to mess with it (audio driving me nuts) and cause it to go into a Kernel Panic.

It is a $49 solution from Newegg or some other places. I use this product to make a 100% clone of any HDD, yes, any size, any form factor, as long as it is a SATA HDD.

The product details are shown below:

Connectland Docking Station

Model 6001003 (UPC code has "CL-ENC50038" on the box)

Dock - 3UBT3 - 6001003

Description:

Docking Station USB 3.0 for two 2.5" or two 3.5" SATA Hard Disks or use one 2.5" to/from 3.5" SATA HDD

Copy any HDD via button without PC

On and Off button

One touch button available if you want to use Windows or without a PC ! ! ! ! !

Mint13NTS
Atlanta

P.S: Friends, yes, I am a newbie with "hackintoshing" but have 30+ years as an IT prof(essional)(essor) with all other Operating Systems.

A hardware cloning setup doesn't really work when you're going between different size devices. It just copies blocks.
Making a filesystem on the new drive with Disk Utility, then using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to clone into it, copes fine with different size devices as long as the data in the filesystem will fit.
You could also do the clone with Disk Utility's Restore function, but that only works if the destination partition is the same size or larger than the source. I'd be surprised if the SSD is larger than your HDD. :)

Before : install your SSD as usual.

first : Download Carbon Copy Cloner
Second : Make a full copy with Carbon Copy cloner from your HD to your SSD
Third : Boot with a bootable usb ML image
4 : Run multibeast, install chimera on target SSD drive
5 : Reboot and select in your bios the correct drive
Actually, I would simply remove the "Third" step I've indicated. After you've done the copy to the SSD, and before you reboot, run the Chimera installer package. You could do this from inside MultiBeast, or you can download the separate Chimera package from this site's Downloads area. Either way, make sure you change the Install Location during the process so that it installs onto the SSD, and that should sort out the bootblocks on the SSD.
Then reboot and select the SSD as your boot drive from here on in.

Hi everybody, yesterday, I just moved my system from a standard HD to an SSD with Carbon Copy Cloner.
Everything worked fine, I just had to install chimera, and the ssd is now booting.

Yet, I've seen people saying that with an SSD, the loading screen of OS X was just appearing for a second, then you were booted. In my case, it still take 5-6 seconds, is something wrong ?

Hi mates !

"Yet, I've seen people saying that with an SSD, the loading screen of OS X was just appearing for a second, then you were booted. In my case, it still take 5-6 seconds, is something wrong ?"
no, it takes some time, I ve ssd on win 8 ( amd phenom x6 ) mac os ( i7) and macbookpro09, macbookrpo 2009 dualcore is still the fastest from power to desktop.

Carbon Copy Cloner is fast and easy, you could also install fresh and restore from timemachine backup ( I did that when I moved my macbook pro disk to my hackintosh via network)

I m not a pro, but on windows I had extreme performance issues with cloning from hdd to ssd, sort of alignment problem e.g. ,so a fresh install is always to be wanted ?

I don't think it will be needed, every task is now incredibly fast, every programm seems to launch even before I click on it, and the boot screen last something like 2-3 times less longer. I just thought I wouldn't see it anymore. ^^

Boot times will vary across machines based on things like
  • Number and type of hardware devices the OS has to probe,
  • (this can include differences in Bluetooth hardware initialization)
  • Services/daemons the machine is starting in the background,
  • etc.
Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back