Contribute
Register

Cloning a hard drive to a new bigger SSD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do I do once I've replaced the config.plist? Also, I have also found a EFI backups folder in each drive that has EFI folders from when I updated to Sierra, is this something worth looking at as well?

What do I do once I've replaced the config.plist? Also, I have also found a EFI backups folder in each drive that has EFI folders from when I updated to Sierra, is this something worth looking at as well?

After replacing the config.plist, reboot.

The EFI backup folder is added whenever you update Clover. No need to look in there.

So there are now 3 disks I can mount, and no matter which one I try to mount in EFI Mounter, it just mounts the one on the drive I'm running on (it mounts the folder with the zipped copy that I uploaded, that shouldn't be in the other drive). Any thoughts?

So there are now 3 disks I can mount, and no matter which one I try to mount in EFI Mounter, it just mounts the one on the drive I'm running on (it mounts the folder with the zipped copy that I uploaded, that shouldn't be in the other drive). Any thoughts?

No. I really don't know why the other EFI partitions aren't mounting. When I searched for an answer, I couldn't find one either. The results I looked in, the user ended up reinitializing the drive again...

So I mounted disk0s1, then disk2s1 and it mounted with an empty EFI this time. I copy/pasted the EFI folder and now the drive boots by itself, though the bios sees the drive as a Seagate Slim (is this from the new config.plist you gave me?) which I don't have issue with as long as it works. But ultimately, I have the sata port for the original drive off and it booted with just this OS showing. Success!?

So I mounted disk0s1, then disk2s1 and it mounted with an empty EFI this time. I copy/pasted the EFI folder and now the drive boots by itself, though the bios sees the drive as a Seagate Slim (is this from the new config.plist you gave me?) which I don't have issue with as long as it works. But ultimately, I have the sata port for the original drive off and it booted with just this OS showing. Success!?

No. The config.plist has nothing to do with how BIOS sees your drive.

Scratch that, I have NO idea why it was seeing that and worked. Once I removed the original drive I had no boot options, though I had like 4 UEFI OS "drives" in the bios...

I mainly just wanted to replace the drive because it felt like my old one was starting to hang when idle for more than a few minutes (strange for a ssd?) and wanted to replace it before I get my next wave of work. If I have to keep it plugged in and use it to boot to the new drive, I'm okay with that too. You think that's my best bet for now?

Also, thank you again so much for all of the help!!

Scratch that, I have NO idea why it was seeing that and worked. Once I removed the original drive I had no boot options, though I had like 4 UEFI OS "drives" in the bios...

I mainly just wanted to replace the drive because it felt like my old one was starting to hang when idle for more than a few minutes (strange for a ssd?) and wanted to replace it before I get my next wave of work. If I have to keep it plugged in and use it to boot to the new drive, I'm okay with that too. You think that's my best bet for now?

Also, thank you again so much for all of the help!!

If you've already copied the EFI folder to the EFI partition of your new drive, you should be able to boot from it.

If BIOS isn't seeing it, maybe the drive wasn't initialized correctly. Another possibility is that it's a BIOS issue.

If you are seeing erroneous entries, you can follow the following guide to fix it.:

If i wanted to start over and initialize the drive and clone again, what would my first step be? Reformat in disk manager and clone again? Are there specific parameters I should format with? Or is there a way to initialize it that I may have missed?

If i wanted to start over and initialize the drive and clone again, what would my first step be? Reformat in disk manager and clone again? Are there specific parameters I should format with? Or is there a way to initialize it that I may have missed?

Use Disk Utility to initialize the drive.
Name can be pretty much anything you like.
If you are cloning a system running Mojave, select APFS. For High Sierra or older, you can use Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
Scheme should be GUID Partition Map.

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 6.52.12 PM.png

For cloning, I've been using Carbon Copy Cloner for a long time. It's extremely straight forward and works.
When the cloning is done, mount the EFI partitions of both the source drive and destination drive. Then, just drag/drop the EFI folder from the source EFI partition to destination EFI partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back