Contribute
Register

Cloning a existing Mac to a Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to download it somewhere, I know that it is better that I know what I did to try and troubleshoot any issues that come along. I meant that when I once did the whole process to set up Sierra on that machine and for some reason I decide to clone a different mac, I could use that once created efi partition and put it on the drive?

I didn't mean to download it somewhere, I know that it is better that I know what I did to try and troubleshoot any issues that come along. I meant that when I once did the whole process to set up Sierra on that machine and for some reason I decide to clone a different mac, I could use that once created efi partition and put it on the drive?
I've never tried that. pastrychef says he has done that with no issues. If you want to try it after you've completed your first install of High Sierra you can see what happens. Report your results if you do.

So basically all I need is a working EFI folder that is tailored towards my mainboard? And once I have that, I could use any existing SSD, replace the efi folder and boot from it?

Yes.

Ok thank you all so far, now I know what direction to head and how to start ;) if I got more questions I'm gonna search the forum and/or ask again

That's what I did the last time. Get the stuff(Clover config, kexts, ssdts) you need for a certain hardware config in EFI and you're basically done with the non-apple stuff.

I replaced the EFI partition of my old Hack with a new one, and was done. Except for the iCloud/AppleID related stuff, that was more work as I had to redo the hardware registered to my AppleID.

I had did a clean install of a Mojave 10.14.6 on my asus then took a snapshot of my old macbook's Mojave 10.14.4 and write the image on a partition of my ssd, almost all works, it boots to macos, but sound did not work anymore and the AsusSMC have a bug which i fixed and reported.

Basically it works to clone your old OSX hdd to your newly working hackintosh, i tried migration assistant over the years and is good for nothing. Best way to keep your all settings on the new mac/hackintosh is to clone existing partitions.

My question is what to do about the Serial Number, did anyone else tried a dual boot of two macoses? Is there any way to set a SN per macOS partition? If so, how? Right now both macOSes have same SN but somehow different "hardware"

I forgot to mention, my Asus hackintosh has quadruple boot, Windows, Linux, Mojave 10.14.6 and the migrated Mojave 10.14.4 :)

Now, i migrated from apfs to hfs+ my old macbook partition "Mojave" after upgraded to 10.14.6 on my hackintosh and now i am able to boot natively from clover as well as from virtualbox under linux, the migration to hfs+ helped to boot the macOS under virtualbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back