4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,
I am ready to build my first Hackintosh and I heard some people clone their existing installations of mac OS (10.12 in my case) to their hackintosh. However, I did not find a guide on how to do that yet, how do you start with that process?

Do you set it up like usual and use the migration assistant afterwards? Or do you do a 1:1 clone with CCC and patch it afterwards?
Maybe someone found a good guide he/she can link me or has done it themselves?

@Cookiefamily, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

Hello,
I am ready to build my first Hackintosh and I heard some people clone their existing installations of mac OS (10.12 in my case) to their hackintosh. However, I did not find a guide on how to do that yet, how do you start with that process?

Do you set it up like usual and use the migration assistant afterwards? Or do you do a 1:1 clone with CCC and patch it afterwards?

It will be best to perform a clean install, then create a new unique Serial number for your CustoMac. Follow the directions in the following guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/ This way you can make sure the serial number fits your hardware and is not being used by anyone else with a real Mac or even one of your own Macs. You can move your data manually to the new CustoMac or use migration assistant.

@Cookiefamily, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
Sorry, I just ordered my parts and did not update yet :) Done now

It will be best to perform a clean install, then create a new unique Serial number for your CustoMac. Follow the directions in the following guide. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/ This way you can make sure the serial number fits your hardware and is not being used by anyone else with a real Mac or even one of your own Macs. You can move your data manually to the new CustoMac or use migration assistant.

Thank you for the link and the hint to the Serial Number. So if I do a clean install and create the serial number, I can use the migration assistant to migrate my applications and user data. Is it ok to migrate the settings as well? Run Multibeast before or after migration?

Or what would be the procedure when doing a 1:1 clone?
Just asking :D Curiosity can't hurt

Cloning only makes sense once you've completed your CustoMac install and post install. Don't try to clone a real Mac and move that drive into a CustoMac. Get your CustoMac booting without Unibeast and fully working before you migrate.

You can migrate your User file, data and most applications. You can also reinstall applications directly from the Mac App Store. Keep in mind that "Other files and Folders" under the Documents & Data section should be left unchecked when you are migrating to your new CustoMac.

You can reinstall applications from the app store, if you bought them from there xD I am basically focused on Cumulus, Adobe Applications and Quark XPress. Older applications are saved in Virtual Machines created from direct clones of other Macs.

What data is stored in the mystical "Other files and folders" selection? Anything related to applications on the machine such as library etc?

Hello,

It depends on your install method. Once I had a fully working EFI folder, I copied the EFI folder to the EFI partiion of my MacPro5,1's SSD. Then I just transplanted the SSD from my old MacPro5,1 to my hackintosh.

It depends on your install method. Once I had a fully working EFI folder, I copied the EFI folder to the EFI partiion of my MacPro5,1's SSD. Then I just transplanted the SSD from my old MacPro5,1 to my hackintosh.
The OP doesn't have a working EFI (hackintosh) folder to do this with. They will have to clean install anyway to a new SSD to make one that works with their hardware.

So basically all I need is a working EFI folder that is tailored towards my mainboard? And once I have that, I could use any existing SSD, replace the efi folder and boot from it?

So basically all I need is a working EFI folder that is tailored towards my mainboard? And once I have that, I could use any existing SSD, replace the efi folder and boot from it?
Not necessarily,
The most important thing in hackintoshing is to learn how to do it yourself instead of copying and pasting someone else's files to get a working system. This is why it's always best for you to go through the complete process outlined in the High Sierra installation guide and follow a User/Golden build specific to your hardware. If someone gives you their working EFI folder you really miss out on a valuable learning experience. You'll need to be your own tech support to maintain and update a hackintosh. It's completely different than owning and using a Mac sold to you from Apple.

Here's one example of a guide you can follow to perform your install.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...i7-7700k-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti.230025/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back